IT BEGINS [1990 SWB Trooper Project]

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: IT BEGINS [1990 SWB Trooper Project]

Postby aidan7777 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 pm

I'll be trying to put it through the knuckle first before i have another stab at this.

Maybe the larger boot is supposed to go over the DOJ case? I assembled this based on how i saw the CV boots were set up, so if the previous guy who was in here made a mistake, i might have just repeated it.

If anyone is trying this job, test the boots on the DOJ case, see which one fits better.
1990 SWB Trooper -- The best and worst car i have ever owned
-Calmini tri-Y Header -2" Exhaust -Glass pack muffler -Extended shackles -Aisin manual locking hubs -5 Tec Serviceability Mod -Bullbar - Jerry cam[Coming soon!]
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 6 times

Sponsor

Postby aidan7777 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:45 am

IMG_20210207_151301[1].jpg

Gotcha, you little reprobate!

Doing this job on a warm day rather than a cold night helped a ton, the rubber was more pliable, and i had far more light on my subject. Same with putting it through the knuckle first, i undid the tension on the torsion bar and locked in the tapers on my ball joints, and it held it in the perfect place to push the lip over the DOJ case. Other cars might've insisted i used an expensive spring compressor, so i suppose i can forgive torsion bars for that.
I cut a little piece of cardboard flush with the end of the thread before i undid it, so when i retension the spring, i can feel when i have reached the right setting.

These little banding tools are great. I used to hate these metal CV bands right up until i got the right tool for the job.
Now i like them, They hold very strongly, they're very low profile, and they don't embrittle and break like zip ties.

My next problem was with my greasable ball joints, they came with this elbow fitting which was far too tall to allow for any clearance between it and the CV joint, i initially had a lot of trouble inserting it all the way into the steering knuckle because it kept fouling on the sealing surface.
IMG_20210207_171443[1].jpg

I eventually had to resort to taking the straight fitting off and screwing it in to keep all the dust and detritus out of my new ball joint. I'm going to have to buy some low profile elbow fittings to install on these in the future, as i will be going in there with my grease gun every time i change the oil.
IMG_20210207_162704[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Calmini tri-Y Header -2" Exhaust -Glass pack muffler -Extended shackles -Aisin manual locking hubs -5 Tec Serviceability Mod -Bullbar - Jerry cam[Coming soon!]
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:39 am

Just installed the front hub and brake on the starboard side today. brand new slide pins and boots from our good old friend RockAuto.
IMG_20210209_195810[1].jpg

Steering is reattached. Feels a whole lot less sloppy than it used to. i'm looking forward to taking this thing for a test drive!
I packed the bearings with some fresh grease, then used a fish scale hooked over the pin wrench hole to torque it as per the workshop manual's instruction. (EDIT: This isn't the right way to do it. You put the fish scale over the STUD, then pull with the fish scale after incremental adjustment until the force required to move the hub meets spec. 1.5 kilograms for old bearings, manual says it can be 'up to' 2.5 for new bearings with new seals.) I replaced the screws on the lock ring with new, as the old ones had been stripped out by some bonehead not using a JIS driver. (again, buy that vessel set! all the screws in these things are JIS.)

I made sure to use this brake grease on the pins so they don't sieze like last time.
IMG_20210209_195822[1].jpg

The lower slide pin is just a metal sleeve that rides within a rubber bushing, so make sure to get plenty on that one, too.

New brake line
IMG_20210209_195834[1].jpg

IMG_20210209_195859[1].jpg

..By the way, make sure you torque down the rotor BEFORE you put on the locking hub. :evil:
This design sucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Sorry for leaving this thread so long, guys! I've been on the wild goose chase that is job hunting, and still haven't been successful.

Before i post the rest of what i've been doing so far, i have a question about my rear brakes.

IMG_20210318_171201[1].jpg

The one on the left is what i got from RockAuto, and the one on the right is what came off my car.

The diagrams in the workshop manual show the one on the left as the right pad to use, and looking at other people's troopers, i see they have the same pads on their rears as well, which begs the question;

What could possibly be going on here? Are the 1990 SWB models simply fitted out with different brakes? or has my car been modified in some way?

I'd very much rather use the bosch brand pads + the brand new hardware i got for this thing, as the 'correct' pads that recently came in the mail are rubbish. they fit poorly and didn't come with replacement clips.
The 'correct' pads have these strange claws on their backs which click into the recess of the piston, one of them fits fine on the portside caliper, and the other doesn't seem to retain itself at all in either of them.

Anybody know anything about this?
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Previous