IT BEGINS [1990 SWB Trooper Project]

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: IT BEGINS [1990 SWB Trooper Project]

Postby aidan7777 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:39 pm

Hold the phone! Ignore that previous tirade about needing a transmission jack, I think i've found something here.

While scouring this forum for some kind of information about this oil pan situation, i found a 2010 post by the late. great squatch (god rest his soul) talking about those exact couple of bolts!

He says you can undo the inspection cover(which i dont have), wriggle a skinny extension in the gap between the bellhousing and upper pan, then undo the bolts just like that, so i figured hey, what the hell! and walked back into the shed to give it a try for myself.

I was delighted to see that this side had a little recess cut out into it, so i could slip my 1/4 wobble extension in there complete with a 12mm, and crack the nut loose. Threads on the stud were in such good shape that the ratchet stopped engaging the second i cracked it loose. :x Nothing a nitrile glove couldn't fix.
DSC_0217[1].JPG

However, this side doesn't have much of a recess at all. I can't slide my socket in there on the extension, I can't thread the extension through, then click the socket on there while it's inside because of the wobble extension; nor can i put it in on the bottom edge of the bellhousing, then bring it in from the side, as it's only just 2-3 mil too narrow for the extension's body to fit. I can't lever it back with screwdrivers, and i sure as hell don't want to put a jack on the bottom of the oilpan with both my jackstands sitting so far back, + MY HEAD sitting underneath a nice sharp suspension bushing mount.
DSC_0216[1].JPG

Should i get an extension that doesn't have a wobble head, then try that? or is there some other way of doing this? Things are looking significantly better than they did yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 SWB Trooper -- The best and worst car i have ever owned
-Calmini tri-Y Header -2" Exhaust -Glass pack muffler -Extended shackles -Aisin manual locking hubs -5 Tec Serviceability Mod -Bullbar - Jerry cam[Coming soon!]
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 6 times

Sponsor

Postby aidan7777 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:48 pm

All this talk of bellhousings got me reading up on the MSG-5 i've got in here.
..Apparently running them on gear oil kills them real quick. Turns out they really DO want motor oil after all.
And guess what? When i drained the transmission 10,000 kilometers ago, gear oil came out, and i replaced it with MORE gear oil! :shock: I'm an IDIOT!!!!!!!
Next time i head into town, i'm buying me some SAE 30 and swapping it out with that. jesus christ on a stick, am i GLAD this transmission isn't dead!
this forum saves me from yet another catastrophe!
-Calmini tri-Y Header -2" Exhaust -Glass pack muffler -Extended shackles -Aisin manual locking hubs -5 Tec Serviceability Mod -Bullbar - Jerry cam[Coming soon!]
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby DSUZU » Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 am

aidan7777 wrote: jesus christ on a stick,

That was a cross. Hopefully, the temporary use of gear lube didn't hurt your tranny. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 977 times

Postby aidan7777 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:41 am

Well, for the 21,000 kilometers it was on the road, i never heard it make any new weird noises, or feel it getting any harder to shift, so i think i might've gotten away with this one. If i'd run that gear lube for another 50,000, it'd be a disaster for sure!

But that's something i can rectify anytime i want. right now, i'm trying to figure out just how i can get an extension into that last portside oilpan bolt which is up in the bellhousing. I can't raise the engine or safely move the bellhousing back with my current equipment or knowledge(I don't have an engine hoist or transmission jack, and i don't know how well the engine is supported), so it is imperative that i remove this oilpan while the engine's more or less still in the truck.

I've been scouring the internet for answers to this problem to no such luck. Is there any way i can access that bolt?
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby DSUZU » Sun May 17, 2020 1:52 pm

Possibly take a rat tail file and make a groove? A universal joint on a 1/4 extension might also work. I can tell you from personal experience that the engine will stay put if the tranny is removed. Likewise, if the engine is removed, the bottom of the bell housing will rest on the front cross member. Re-installing the engine like this, will of course require lifting the front of the tranny a bit (this is how I did the engine job in my Spacecab a few years back. I had also taken the tranny out of the truck when I first got it to replace the clutch. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby aidan7777 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 am

Thanks for clarifying the situation with the engine mounts. i was really worried i'd have to put extra supports under the thing if i ever have to pull the tranny for a clutch or rebuild.

Before i went to bed last night, i had a long think about how i might approach this clearance problem, and filing down this cast 'lip' just above the machined surface was what came to mind.
oilpan1.png

So when it came morning, i went back into the shed, filed a bevel on the side (marked in yellow), and it allowed me to scoot the extension shaft through just like that!
oilpan2.png

Looking through there with a torch, i could see i could get the angle i needed on the extension to make that bolt, but i bottomed out only just 10mm before i could engage the nut.. I ordered a longer extension for my little 1/4 ratchet from the auto parts store, should be coming in the mail either late today, or tomorrow.

That's going to be the day i prove you CAN remove the upper oil pan without lifting the engine! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:59 am

I just recieved a bunch of new parts from rockauto today. including new front shocks, new slave cylinder, new thermostat with gasket, and among other things, a couple of new wheel bearing seals.

DSC_0219[1].JPG

pictured: old bearings i degreased + hardware. they look good.

So to pass the time until that extension arrives, i got to work on my front hubs, repacked the bearings after degreasing them in petrol, and then i tried to install those seals. First one went in fine by hammering around it, then driving it the rest of the way with the old seal. second one just got immediately mangled up before i could even get it seated.
(EDIT: don't do this. these seals are supposed to be mounted flush)

That's even more money out of my pocket, i guess.. in hindsight i could've just laid it straight and drove it in with a block of wood, but it's too bloody late for that now. I think the other one got a little damaged on the way in, too.

DSC_0218[1].JPG

Also tried to have another stab at the pitman arm. didn't move an inch, all i ever got out of it was a bunch of power steering fluid on my floor. Don't ever waste your money on one of these stupid pullers. they're only good for ball joints and sometimes not even that.

I won't be too hard on myself, though. this is the first car i have ever torn apart like this, and the first time i've ever changed seals, so inevitably i was going to run into some trouble.

Tomorrow should be a better day with my extension coming in the mail. I've been looking forward to sealing up this oil leak for a very long time.
Last edited by aidan7777 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon May 18, 2020 2:33 pm

if the pitman is being replaced with new, just make on or two cuts with a zip disc , in line with the splines, but dont hit the splines with the zip disc. then insert a cold chisel into the cut, and whack with a hammer. it will crack annd split at the cut and fall off.
might only need one cut with a zip disc, and a sharp but wide cold chisel . sometimes after they are cut they fall off. even better.

thats my trick, whe doing front end work on chevy trucks. no need for a puller, no need to remove steering box unless leaking or completly shot. no fluid loss, no other bolts/ nuts to touch, just the pitman arm nut & lockwasher. 8)
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby aidan7777 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 pm

Hmmm. Seeing a listing for a replacement which wanted 150 dollars makes me kind of hesitant to take my rat tail to the arm. Since i already have all the works out to change all the seals, i might just take it to a mechanic and have him put it under the hydraulic press. that'll be the cheapest way i can get out of this mess, considering i've taken all this stuff out for him.

Can't complain. it's the classic tale of the 30 year old car! :D
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:05 am

It turns out that 'same day delivery' means 'next week or two' delivery. All my lower control arm bushings will need me to get in there with a carbide burr to get rid of the steel shells, so i'm going to get some welding done while i still have room to get in position. 8)

Stay tuned, folks!
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:58 am

After cutting a few new patches, i decided i'd start off by fixing up the huge crack in my extractors.

DSC_0221[1].JPG

This side started off quite well. my settings were good, my weld pool had good tie in, i wasn't leaving too much undercut. but that all changed when i turned it over and the F%*(#n GROUND CLAMP SHIFTED! It threw my settings out, and the rest of the weld turned out not as good. but it penetrated, i didn't blow through, and i managed to compensate for the stupid ground clamp by turning up my voltage and wire feed speed.

Shoulda just clamped the bare wire to the metal like i said i would, but i got a little lazy. Tweco ground clamps suck.

DSC_0222[1].JPG

I then wire wheeled everything down with a twistknot on my rat tail, got in there with a die grinder to clean up all the little nooks and crannies, then wiped everything down with methylated spirits until the tissues started wiping clean. There's still a hint of rust here and there, but i didn't have any washing soda i could use for electrolysis, nor a blasting cabinet.

DSC_0223[1].JPG

Here i've hit the whole thing with some high temperature exhaust paint. I don't know how well it's going to work with my plans of curing it by running the engine, but if it sloughs off after a few months, no biggie. i'll just go for a traditional fibreglass wrap.

I wish i could've done more today, but i ran out of sunlight before i could get to the rest of my work. Next post will involve bodywork!
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby DSUZU » Thu May 21, 2020 5:58 am

What you have there is a very rare Calmini "Tri Y" header. They haven't been made for some time now. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby aidan7777 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 am

@DSUZU
Thanks for letting me know about that! I always thought these guys were just plain old headers, not something rare and sought after!

This post is going to be rather short. as i had a very horrible day today.
It started off well, i got a LOT of welding and shaping done, and i figured out why i was getting so much trouble with blow through! Turns out having your wire speed too low can really make it hard to get your bead going, as there's not enough metal to fill in your 'keyhole' so to say. rest of my welds should be looking a lot less like i squeezed a goose over my fitup.

I also got one of my front lower control arm bushings out with a carbide burr. i absolutely resent the way these are designed.. :evil:
DSC_0232[1].JPG

Hate how it's attached to the frame instead of the arm. hate the idiotic metal sleeves..

DSC_0233[1].JPG

I then proceeded to mangle the new bushing trying to drive it in, and the sleeve is now as stuck as the old one. should've cleaned the bore out a lot better, and i should've left these in the freezer overnight.. Guess i'll have to grind this one out, too.

I'll just take it as a sign and move back on with all the other things i can do. the ride quality of this car was objectionable enough with bad rubber bushings, and polyurethane bushings would surely make it even worse.
It came from the factory with rubber bushings for a very good reason.

I'll post the rest of the pictures later, everybody. this is why you NEVER keep working after a frustrating job! :(
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby hessmess » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Uh Oh, haven't heard anything in some time, did you lite it on fire? You picture of the header made me go find mine that has been in the shed for years. It is just like yours. My down pipe is cracked and sounds like crap, can't find one and if I have to take it off, I think I may put the header to use. I was told it was off of a Rodeo. It should fit the Spacecab just fine. How about an update from down under?
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 173 times

Postby aidan7777 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:23 am

Hahahaha!! Don't worry, I learned stick shift in this thing at 13, i would NEVER wish it any harm!
I made sure to FULLY strip the interior of all its flammables before i even got near it with the MIG gun, too. keep my chances safe.

I'm sorry for the lack of posts, by the way. I've been both too busy to be taking pictures, and doing stuff that's too monotonous to really bother picturing. Welding has also been getting me really frustrated. never had blow through problems like this in class, EVER..

First off, i'll start off with the bushing situation. I decided i'd just buy myself a full set of rubber bushings and try again. My reasoning is that it's a top heavy 4x4 that isn't made for hard cornering in the first place, so you won't see much of a benefit from polyurethane bushings in the first place. (not to mention the ride was objectionable enough with rotten rubber bushings on the LCA).

I also gave my dad a call the other day, and he said that one of the times he had it at the mechanic, the man took his crowbar, found out he could move the rear leaf spring shackles 10mm to either side, and shook his head.
I can also kneel down by the side and shimmy the back end along the line of its axle. really explains why this car was so delinquent when it was on the road. creaks when turning under braking, instability over 100 KM/H, snap oversteer in the wet, etc.

Still wicked fun to drive, though.. really don't see why people keep calling the 4ZE1 'gutless', as in my experience it was a rather spritely little engine. You put the pedal down and it IMMEDIATELY picks up the pace, doesn't 'insubordinate' like a few modern four-pots i've been in. But perhaps half that might be attributed to the manual transmission.(more power going into the driveshaft, and less into a slushy old torque converter. THE choice when it comes to older vehicles.)

Now, for my oilpan. i just finished re-sealing it for the second time. Here's a picture of it the first time i took it off.
DSC_0224[1].JPG

Beautiful like the rest of this engine. no sludge, no metal shavings, and no ball bearings. (dont worry about the machined surfaces on the bottom the studs are holding it off the concrete in these picture)
DSC_0225[1].JPG

DSC_0227[1].JPG

When it came to laying down the RTV. i mistakenly put down a 3/8th bead instead of a 1/4, put the upper pan back on, then did up the lower, too. I was then promptly plagued by nightmares and anxiety about stray bits of silicone blocking up oil screens and packages, being stranded on the side of a road without a phone, being an extra 2000 dollars indebted to the project, all sorts of horrible stuff!

I then told myself i'd just keep an eye on my oil pressure gauge when it gets on the road, but the stupid cork gasket i'd got for the lower started leaking all around a day after i'd put oil in it.. :evil:
I think that's because it's a stamped steel pan. Most of the time they rely on the clamping force of all the bolts to hold them square to a machined surface. and instead of tightening all the bolts evenly, i just did them one by one.. that's probably why i'm having trouble with them stripping out, and probably why it started leaking, too. these things really do need each and every single bolt to work :(

So i took the lower back off, put my finger up into the crankcase, and sure enough, the RTV was sticking out just over a quarter inch inside. so I removed the upper, drilled and tapped the few stripped threads for the lower up to M8, (if it strips out while you're choked up on a quarter inch ratchet, you probably didn't want it anyway), and laid down a nice thin bead like the tube suggested. No excessive squeeze out this time. no more death sentence for an engine only 21,000 KM past its first rebuild! :D

As for the bodywork..

DSC_0235[1].JPG

DSC_0238[1].JPG

Been going alright so far, but the blow through has just been making me mad. settings, gun angle, nothing seems to help it at all. Next time i'm going to weld with the wire offset from my gap, not right in the middle. real real sick of wasting gas filling it in.
Last edited by aidan7777 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:36 am

I've also been repainting my running gear in black enamel.

DSC_0239[1].JPG

DSC_0240[1].JPG

Looks great! But knowing enamel, it'll be a month before it can go back on the car. Good thing i got all the time in the world for this thing! :D
(wish i had a damn sawhorse to hang these off! gotta make sure it doesn't stick to my cardboard while it's curing.)
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby hessmess » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:07 pm

I just replaced the rubber bushing on my rear spring shackes a few weeks ago. I also put on longer shackes to lift it just a bit. I had a heck of a time with the drivers side. The steel bolts that run thru the factory shackes had welded themselves to the bushing, corrosion and such. And no easy way to get in there. Got it done with a 2X4 and a bigger hammer. Figured the bushings themselves would also be bad but they just popped right out after the bolts were out.
Keep up the great work!
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 173 times

Postby JLEMOND » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:08 pm

hessmess wrote:I had actually never heard of the JIS screwdriver, keep in mind I am self taught and what I picked up from others. So after doing a little research I found this set and order it. I really like the impact ability. I too had struggled with those darn little screws and even the ones on the front fenders. This same set on Amazon was a bit over 100 bucks and that put it way out of my price range. I did a little Google and found the same set at this site.
https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/S ... T980MIXEVA

Also the comments on this brand have been very good.

BEST PART OF THE VESSEL BRAN D OF DRIVERS IS THEY WILL WORK FINE ON A REG PHILS LIPE SCREW , BUT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND AND THEY ARE ACTUALLY NO MORE EXP THAN A SET OF SNAP OFFS THAT DONT FIT CORRECTLY
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 355 times

Postby aidan7777 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:27 am

@JLEMOND
Holy hell, it's the man himself! NEVER thought i'd see you on this thread, dude!

I sent you an email asking about prices for a list of parts i need some time ago, but there must've been a problem with my provider, or something. since i never heard back from you.
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you be able to list quotes for these parts?

Rubbers for both sliding windows up back.
- Rubbers for both vent windows.
- A singular upper door hinge for the starboard side.
- The proper PCV valve for the 4ZE1.
- Weatherstripping appropriate to fit both front and rear doors, and the edge of the hood facing the firewall.
- A 'Jerry cam' with its appropriate adjustment hardware if they are still available. My stock camshaft has a little wear, but it isn't 'bell mouthed' or overtly scored, can send it to you in a little postage tube after i get some dyno results on the original cam.
- Gaskets for both rear taillights, if available.

I plan on making a very big order from you in the future, and i'd like to be able to plan my finances around it. Hope this isn't a bother.

Btw. VESSEL drivers are the best screwdrivers i've had. First set i've used that doesn't need you to exert herculean force on the screw to prevent it camming out.

As for the rest of this post, i have some very good news!
DSC_0244[1].JPG

I took my steering assembly to a mechanic to have it pressed apart, and they managed to get my pitman arm off in minutes! 55 for the job versus 100+ for an new arm made this the right way to go.

The man told me it went under a 75 ton press, and it needed 10 of those tons to come off, so it's no wonder it broke my puller.
He also told me my center link was bad, and showed me the quarter inch of play the ball joints had in them. Fair enough for 405,500 KM, I have a new one coming in the mail with greasable joints.

DSC_0243[1].JPG

I also managed to get the old bushings out of my upper control arms. I braced the peripheries of their mounting bores with a piece from my craptacular C clamp press set. drove them out as far as i could with a makeshift drift, then grabbed their flanges in my vise and spun them back and forth in their bores until they pulled out. Only one of them needed to be heated to be removed.
(while these bushings had plenty of life left, i want to install the rubber ones that came in my kit. 4x4s need flex, and shouldn't be cornered hard enough for these to make a difference anyway.)

DSC_0246[1].JPG

Here's them painted. Wiped them all down very thoroughly with some wax and grease remover beforehand. (very good stuff! it removes the detritus like acetone or brake clean, but doesn't evaporate before you can wipe it off.)
I think i might give my differential the treatment as well. still have plenty of paint left!
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby DSUZU » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:29 pm

When you put those Upper bushings in (lowers too FWIW), you will want to leave the trunion nuts loose and only tighten them after you put the weight of the vehicle on them. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby wmorrisiii » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:33 pm

Great thread, especially enjoyable since several of the guys following your postings have experienced the same miserable surprises you are now enjoying. Even worse, a few of us with thicker heads have done it multiple times on multiple Troopers. The good news is you learn a lot, get somewhat addicted to these trucks, and mostly have a hell of a good time. And, yes, it is all worth it, these are extremely capable and reliable vehicles. I’m still driving my original 90 Trooper a lot of years later, with a very pretty 87 in the incubator. This site has been invaluable for parts, advice and support and Ive made some great friends here. Looks like you are headed down that path and I hope you enjoy It as much as I have.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 203 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Forgot to mention that diamond plate and bed liner were invented to hide ugly welds and rust repairs...
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 203 times

Postby aidan7777 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:11 am

They indeed are dependable cars from what i've heard, It's usually the rust that kills them, almost never drivetrain failures.
Only trouble with troopers is that they're old cars now, and that they're usually neglected on top of that. While they have plenty of capable components hanging off their frame, the negligent way they're all laid out can deter people from doing much needed maintenance. (for instance, having to disconnect the brake line to remove the upper control arms, or the lower control arm bushings mounted in the frame.)

The welds'll be looking a lot better when i figure out this blow through problem.. i've been able to weld dimes in every other case.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Just a quick update here, been taking a bit of a break from the project, and i just started doing a little more work.

DSC_0248[1].JPG

First i decided i'd paint my steering arms, fulcrum points, and my crossmember. Degreaser and a pressure washer did a really good job of cleaning out all the rubbish that was caked inside it.

Today i took apart my steering box, getting all the major components apart was a surprisingly painless endeavour! Both sector and input shaft pulled out very easily after i took off their bolts, and i didn't have to deal with a big avalanche of ball bearings after the fact.
DSC_0250[1].JPG

It looks to be a very well made component. There's very little wear on the gear teeth, and the general construction looks quite solid. The only trouble with this box appears to be the 30 year old seals.
(NOTE: if you're taking yours apart, follow the advice of the service manual and pull the input shaft off in a horizontal position. it'll come out with the piston. Make sure not to hold it vertically after you take it out, or else the piston will spiral down the shaft, drop on the floor, and all of the ball bearings will migrate into the deepest, darkest corners of your shop. "See ya in 5 years, SUCKER!!!")

I also bought a new central linkage, since the mechanic who pressed off my pitman arm showed me close to a quarter inch of play in my old one. Here's a picture of it next to all my new bushings and ball joints.
DSC_0251[1].JPG

Right now i'm waiting for some hardware, a CV boot clamp tool, and a nice new grease gun to come in the mail. Macnaught K29. Figured i'd buy a nice one, because i don't want to have to deal with a cheap nasty tool on top of everything else.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 am

Sorry for being gone for a month. my state of mental health hasn't exactly been brilliant lately, and i've been struggling with these stupid lower control arm bushings.

The ones in the front went in with a socket and my crappy ball joint press. the ones in the back were a horrible fight to get seated, and started to buckle when i was trying to press them home.

First one went in alright, the second one completely mushroomed over on the last centimeter. i'm all out of savings to throw at this thing. i don't have anything left to buy tools, or another bushing to replace the one i messed up. why are these things so crazy hard to press in? is the interference fit just that extreme? or are aftermarket bushings just oversized?

DSC_0276[1].JPG

This is what i was doing to try and get it in. wrong tool for the job, but it was the only tool i had. i could use the allthread trick, but i don't have a lathe to machine the pressing face for the bushing.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

PreviousNext