White Lightning - The '89 Trooper LS Project

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: White Lightning - The '89 Trooper LS Project

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:30 pm

Quick update: Painted with freeze plugs installed

IMG_1830.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Postby hessmess » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Looks great! I have a block in waiting for my Spacecab.
Darn thing just keeps on going.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:21 pm

takemehome4LOroads wrote:Quick update: Painted with freeze plugs installed

NOICE! :thumbleft:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 365 times

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Ok, finally made that big order with Jerry, as well as Clearwater cylinder heads.

Decided to line up all my children for picture day one last time before the build begins.

0FB1273E-4950-4E44-A7C2-E6EE022BB98B.jpeg

Everything except the head, starter and alternator were ordered from Jerry, including his famous Jerry cam. And I made sure to ask for every rubber hose that was available.

I found re-maned Bosch starter And alternator units on Amazon of all places. There's something so satisfying in getting parts for this car that come in old cardboard boxes that have been on the shelf for years.

Cylinder head is new, not a re-man. And with a 10% off promo and free shipping, I thought I got it for a steal at $333. Looks to be in good shape. I've seen them recommended a lot on the Planet, but Jerry cautioned me to make sure to buy New because he's had issues with some re-maned units from them.

Now on to checking ring end gaps and plenty of plastigauging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:46 pm

That's a really good deal on that new head.

Have Fun!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 365 times

Postby hessmess » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Between the overbore and the cam, this little puppy is gonna be snappy!
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:08 pm

I somehow scored my crankshaft. A speck of dirt must've gotten in there despite that I thought I was being very careful. I can just barely feel the score with my fingernail. I'm going to take it back to the machine shop for their opinion, possible repolish or turning. Also a couple of bearings have what look like a small spec of dirt or something embedded. As clean as I'm trying to work, I've got to try even harder.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:26 am

OK folks. It's been a while since I posted. Mostly I've been dealing with my own screw-ups, and a small group of consummate professionals have been rescuing me at every turn.

I got my crankshaft repolished very nicely by my local machine shop. If you're in the Los Angeles area, I can't recommend Martin Davidsons' machine shop enough.

Putting my engine back together, I managed to knock a piston off my work table, Mr. Magoo style, breaking the skirt and nearly broke down in tears. Jerry Lemond, who is a god among men, sent me a replacement piston, which the above-mentioned machine shop installed for me.

Now, the main point of this post. I found on Craigslist what was described as an "Aussie Bull Bar". When I clicked the link, my heart skipped a beat. It looked like an original ARB Bull Bar. But on closer inspection, it is slightly different. No amount of googling has uncovered anything about the Aussie company, but this is indeed an original period accessory, made in Australia, and imported probably in the early 90s. I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with this specific build. At $300 it was a no brainer to pick up. It even came with all the original installation hardware and literature. It is 100% aluminum. I'm unsure if the ARB models are steel or AL.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby paulevans76 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:36 am

Awesome find! Might be a TJM - they did a lot of aluminum bull bar type stuff, similar to ARB. [edit: looks like we know it's an "aussie" - likely a competitor of ARB and TJM back in the day. Neato!]
Last edited by paulevans76 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Warn XD9000 w/ synthetic rope, rear swing out tire carrier
1.5" body lift and fuel tank lift
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - topless mini wheeler in the works
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 180 times

Postby hessmess » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm

That is incredible! The Roos in LA don’t stand a chance!
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:40 pm

paulevans76 wrote:Awesome find! Might be a TJM - they did a lot of aluminum bull bar type stuff, similar to ARB. [edit: looks like we know it's an "aussie" - likely a competitor of ARB and TJM back in the day. Neato!]

I never anticipated getting a bull bar because I liked the ARB one so much and know they are impossible to find, and if you find any new build they are $1k+. This one is so similar, and I'm very happy to have a nice accent on my Trooper. Can't wait to also install a winch I'll probably never use!

hessmess wrote:That is incredible! The Roos in LA don’t stand a chance!

Lol! More like coyotes. Hopefully no mountain lions! They do occasionally get hit out here.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby RickP » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:20 pm

What a score! Do you mind taking some more pics of the bumper at different angles?
RickP
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 100 times

Postby RickP » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:54 pm

I did some quick Googling and all I could find about the company was US patent info. The inventor is from Australia and his name is Bernard Brennan. Here's a screenshot of a picture on the patent.
RickP
Expedition Ready

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Here's a few more angles. I don't have those cutouts on the front left and right, which I'm guessing are for lights.

Also the wrap around pieces are seperate and need to be bolted on.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby RickP » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Excellent, thanks. I assume there are some brackets so it can be bolted on to the frame.
RickP
Expedition Ready

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Yep, it also came with a couple heavy steel brackets. The instructions say it's a direct bolt-on.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby Dannyx24 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:45 am

Where did you find the rubber gasket/grommet for the two valves at opposite ends of the tank?? I haven't had any luck finding them?
Dannyx24
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:03 am

Email Jerry Lemond at [email protected]. He carries a wide variety of Isuzu parts. I believe he was a national service manager for Isuzu NA, or something like that. You can trust him with your life.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that Jerry for sure carries this part, and is who I ordered mine from.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:44 pm

You are doing an incredible job with your restoration, I'm looking forward to following along! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 411 times

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:55 pm

I haven't been able to update recently due to my BMW E30 taking up a lot of my time. I finally got tired of the constant ATF leaks, so I had it on jacks in the garage where I replaced a missing breather tube on the back of the transmission. Without it there it was spraying ATF all over the underside of my car, and at high revs, I was able to make a James Bond-esque smoke screen when the fluid would hit the red hot exhaust pipe right under the trans. Also, new steering rack, driveshaft, trans mounts. Just a bunch of stuff.

Back to the Trooper, I had some time to start cleaning out the engine bay. One of the first things I did when I got the Trooper was clean up the rust on the battery tray and spray paint it with some generic white automotive spray paint. I found this time that battery acid damage was more extensive then I first noticed. The worst part was right under the tray, which I didn't get a picture of.

IMG_2143.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpg

I found you could order a 12oz can of factory coded paint & clear coat for $40 through Walmart.com, which I did, and it was delivered within a week.

I suck at painting. I just don't have the patience for it. Most of the work is prepping the surface, and the actual painting is like 5% of the total job. Knowing this all going to be covered with the battery and the wiper fluid reservoir and other stuff, I wasn't too worried about it being perfect. Mainly I just wanted to protect against rust, and make the battery tray blend in a little better than with the generic white I used before. I cleaned up the rust areas to bare metal, and then hit it with some primer, I ended up spraying pretty much the whole left side of the compartment.

IMG_2173.jpeg

IMG_2176.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

Overall, it turned out pretty good. There are a bunch of runs here and there, and that one spot where I though I could clean up a run with a towel (you can't, fyi).

In the future, I would do more light coats, as opposed to two medium-heavy coats I did, but again, I lack patience. I still need to paint that black crossmember by the radiator, then I'll be ready to put the wiring harness and everything else back in place.
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 am

takemehome4LOroads wrote:Overall, it turned out pretty good.

I agree, nicely done!

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 411 times

Postby giusedtobe » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Where are you in the rebuild? I am behind you as I just got mine pulled. Just found this thread and will definitely follow.

Regards,
Alan
giusedtobe
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:57 pm

shaggydoink wrote:
takemehome4LOroads wrote:Overall, it turned out pretty good.

I agree, nicely done!

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan!

giusedtobe wrote:Where are you in the rebuild? I am behind you as I just got mine pulled. Just found this thread and will definitely follow.

Regards,
Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your interest!

I've got the bottom end of my engine completed. I made a cardboard "head gasket" so I could secure the head on top with a few bolts, and assemble the top end.

enginestand.jpg

I painted the exhaust manifold with some high temp 2000F paint.

I still need to paint a little bit more in the engine compartment before I'm ready to start installing the engine.

Thanks to a member on the Planet, Kurt, I figured out I bought the wrong fuel pump. I thought the V6 and I4 pumps were the same, but he confirmed with Jerry they are not, so I'm going to install a Walbro unit.

I'll be updating more, as my other project car is taking up less time, and I hope to have my Trooper running by the end of the month. [fingers crossed]

-Bret
takemehome4LOroads
Drives on Dirt

Postby hessmess » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:34 am

That is looking very nice!
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby gb89amigo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Bret,

Rebuild looks very well along and fastidiously/meticulously done! See you're using the "Jerrycam" and wonder if you anticipate any problems getting your stead re-certified for California's stringent smog requirements? Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

GB
'89 Amigo XS RWD, 4ZE1, MUA5, HC6 (Rear Wheel Drive, 2.6L Fuel Injected, 5 spd trans f/ 2.6L and up, 4.56:1 differential 2WD/4WD)
Future: Install the "Big Brake" upgrade, so I don't break things! . Acquired '95 V6 Passport/Rodeo front rotors (11.04") and assemblies. Need to pull G80/LSD rear from '92-'97 Trooper. Got one out of a '95 Trooper LS auto, very clean, only a zillion miles on it!

More FUN!!! :)
gb89amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 125 times

PreviousNext