My 1988 Spacecab 4x4

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

My 1988 Spacecab 4x4

Postby MtbRacer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Hello everyone, here's my 88 spacecab.
Background
The truck was originally an undercover police truck for two years and still sports the original 'Colorado Police Force 1990' stickers in the front quarter windows. In late 1990 My Father purchased it and the rest is history :D He daily drove, weekend wheeled, camped, fished, etc. until around 2008. My earliest memories are with him and the pickup camping, him picking me up from school and so on thus the truck holds deep sentimental value to him and I. It was the vehicle I learned to drive on at the ripe age of 11 on mountain roads up in the Colorado Rockies.

When I got my license my father gifted me the truck and I dailed it for a while; reveling in my freedom of transportation. I wound up finding a 4ze1 short block with 35k miles on Craigslist for a steal and while it didn't necessarily need it, I rebuilt the engine my Junior year in high school using the low mileage block and all new valvetrain including a delta 260 cam. Over the years I also set about finding new or better parts here and there; a bed that wasn't Swiss-cheesed with rust, sun visor clips that weren't cracked, and the like. Then the year before I went off to college, I decided to do a full, body on, restoration to the best of my ability. My father, a family friend, and I set about stripping the truck down to the cab only and replaced near enough every suspension component, steering component, fixed the A/C, sandblasted the frame and fixed rust holes there, all new CVs, new hub bearings, all drivetrain seals, refreshed differentials and tranny and finally rust-proofing the frame and painting the exterior.

I'll throw a full build thread up sometime with extensive pictures of the process. It's still not done, the interior needs work as seats are ripped and carped is stained, but most mechanical and cosmetic issues have been taken care of. I can't really work on it while I'm at college due to not having a shop or garage, working and going to school, and the winters are, shall we say, not the kindest up here :lol:

Mods
Engine - Rebuilt 4ze1, Delta 260 cam

Drivetrain - Exedy Daikan 'OEM' clutch

Suspension - Swayaway HD torsion bars slightly cranked, Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks, Old Man Emu Dakar CS028R leaf springs with one leaf removed (provides 1.5in lift over stock), ball joint flip and 0.25in spacers, low profile bump stops, custom CNC'd 0.75" lift over stock rear shackles (I have the CAD files if anyone is interested), polyurethane bushings. 2.0in lift front, 2.25in lift rear

Brakes - Drilled and slotted rotors front, slotted rear, ceramic pads

Wheels - 16x8.0in OZ Racing Crono 4x4 imported from Japan

Tires - 265/75 R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3

Body - Drop in bedliner, re-polished door handles, new bumpers, OEM mudflaps, new chrome grill, HID headlights, 2in frame mounted receiver hitch, Painted in BMW Carbon Black (very dark with blue metal flake) PPG code 37617

Interior - Kenwood KDC X599, JBL 6x9s rear, JBL 5" front, New shift boot, LED map, dome, and puddle lights.

Pictures

Wish list/future mods
LSD
Megasquirt ECU - I'd love to get into tuning cars
Adjustable cam gear
OEM Recaro seats from a JDM Bighorn Irmscher, or just some Recaro LX style seats
Custom off road bumpers and rock sliders

Long term (5+yrs)
Forged rods, pistons, jerry cam, low pressure turbo setup :twisted:

Longshot dream:
Custom front suspension setup running tubular control arms, coilovers, custom CVs for long travel
Custom 4 link rear suspension with cantilever actuated coilovers in the rear (to still have a fully functioning bed)

So yeah, there's my truck. Apologies for the long post but I tried to get as much information down as possible. I'll add the before and build pics in when I can get them (they're on my father's computer) and I'll be sure to keep updating when progress is made.

Cheers

Edited because photobucket sucks
Last edited by MtbRacer on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtbRacer
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: My 1988 Spacecab 4x4

Postby DSUZU » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:11 am

Great to see your truck. Great history / story. Story is not too long. Best of luck with your mods. If you haven't, post a picture in the "Planet Spacecab" thread. Our numbers are rising :D. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 949 times

Postby itsmehb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:34 am

Saw your post in the new members section. Your way ahead of most all new members in your knowledge and experience, and it's great to see another space cab build. Keep posting your progress.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 305 times

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:42 am

Welcome to the site. I love SpaceCabs, and this is a nice one (even if it does burn gasoline)!

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby MtbRacer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I definitely love the truck and plan to keep it in the family, passing down like my father did. The idea is a resto-mod of sorts with reliability and serviceability as the primary objectives...Then power and offroad mods can come :twisted:

Here's a few pictures of the during process, not much but it's all I have available right now. I have literally hundreds of before, during, and after pictures but they're just sitting on a hard drive about 200 miles away. Progress will be slow during the school year but around May until August it should pick up again.

Getting ready to pull the engine

Old engine out

Replacing the bed
The rust was much worse on the side I didn't take a picture of...go figure

The ladybug as she was known at that point for obvious reasons

Fast forward a bit to our ghetto sandblasting setup

Big a** rust hole

After sandblasting

After rust proofing and fixing big a** rust hole

Those are just ones I had on my phone but they show a little of the tear down and reassembly process.

Last edited by MtbRacer on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MtbRacer
Drives on Gravel

Postby hessmess » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:11 pm

Suscribed! Looks great, mine also has rust on the passenger side around the gas filler area
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 171 times

Postby 92isuzupickup » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Wow! What a great truck! Awesome history behind it as well! Keep up the great work!

Ross.
Ross.
92 isuzu pickup 2.3L 2wd (SOLD)
92isuzupickup
Trail Master

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby MtbRacer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 pm

No build updates but I took some great pics of a "study break" that devolved into a half day play session when I found out there was snow (very little but its still snow) on the ground :-D

MtbRacer
Drives on Gravel

Postby MtbRacer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Been a while but the ol' truck is running great. Not much in the way of build progress per se - it's mostly just been maintenance/replacing things as needed. Although I have added a Kenwood KAC-1804 4ch amplifier to the sound system. Fixed the sunroof drains and used some thicker and stronger polyethylene tubing to do so (1/4" inner diameter if anyone is interested). Fixed a stripped stud on the exhaust manifold and an exhaust leak at the flex pipe. Adjusted the valves. Having some pinion angle shims machined currently as it likes to eat carrier bearings and vibrate on takeoff.

Anyways, here are a few pictures of the shenanigans I've been up to:

Pic taken after about 2hrs of digging with a simple ice scraper. I learned pretty quick to a) not be an idiot b)carry a shovel haha

Learned my lesson :lol:
MtbRacer
Drives on Gravel

Postby squatch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:36 am

Must have missed this one. Very nice ride. Mines an '88 as well.
My builds are dead without the pics photobucket was holding hostage. The pics have been deleted and so have the links from my sig.
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 361 times

Postby totten » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks for pics. Great rebuilt ,super job on frame. :)
2004 rodeo 4x4,3.2,aw3040ls automatic,Stock springs with Independent4x 2"coil spacers, Zone 2" Body Lift, 285/75/16 Mastercraft Courser HXT Tires. Cobra 29LTD CB,Transmission cooler,Functional hood scoop,kyb shocks
totten
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 107 times

Postby Ekholm1997 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Good lookin Space Cab you got there! Keep up the good work.
1997 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD
3.2L 6VD1, 5-speed , 3" Suspension lift, 1" Body lift, 33X12.50-15 Dick Cepek Mud Countrys, Vision "Soft 8" 15X8 wheels, Superwinch Premium hubs, DuraSolid Mini-Spool, Flowmaster exhaust, AG flood lights, Trail Rated badges, custom painted tow hook.
Build thread https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59551

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
WOW--What a Ride!
ImageImage
"One day, your entire life will flash before your eyes, make sure its worth watching!!"
Ekholm1997
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby MtbRacer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Cheers everyone!

Been a while and the Spacecab had been running great...until it wasn't. Decided the best time to kill its fuel pump was Christmas eve :banghead: . So, while it was apart, along with the fuel pump, it is getting an ignition system refresh. Put in a better designed set of leaf spring shims and corrected the pinion angle as well.

Also picked up a set of goodies from Australia
Dual valve springs and Ti retainers

Have a reason for the overkill springs coming sometime down the road but it involves some Impulse parts, positive manifold pressure, and the need for a much stouter clutch :twisted:

Oh and a few months back I had destroyed the auto hub on the passenger side so I replaced those with some new AISIN manual hubs.
MtbRacer
Drives on Gravel

Postby hessmess » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Great to hear it is still running around. I lost my fuel pump back in September, I then chased down some body parts and had it painted! I just can't help myself sometimes. I keep wondering how long my auto hubs will last but I am going to keep them as long as I can. Just to lazy to get out and turn them in. I have a set of aisin hubs just waiting for the time.
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby MtbRacer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Been a while since the last update, got a few new items for the old girl.

First was a set of Bilstein 5165 rear shocks...dear god they are so much better than the trash OME's I had lol. Before the pitchforks come out, the Old Man Emus are a solid shock just valved improperly for my needs and application. I'm sure they'd work much better on a Trooper but without the weight over the --- end they rode like a mack truck. Enter these Bilsteins, I was able to find them in a light valving configuration at 170/60 rebound and compression respectively and it not only tracks way better over washboard and tarmac imperfections but soaks up large hits like potholes in a much better manner. The OME Dakar springs are a little high in spring rate to be truly optimal but it is now at an acceptable level where I'm fine leaving it until a later date. Another plus is greater traction in deep snow due to reduced bouncing and wheel hop. Part # is 25-176223 for those interested, a slightly pricey but definitely worth it option. Will be looking for a suitable front option, contenders are revalved OEM KYB reservoir shocks from a Vehicross, or Bilstein 7100s valved at 265/70 part# B46-0493VW. On a side note, anyone interested in some OME Nitrocharger Sport's :lol:

Picked up a 10 bolt LSD from the rear of a JR Impulse, will be re shimming for tighter lock then throwing in the front when the weather gets better. Looking but not hopeful of finding some cheap 4.77s (aren't we all lol). Also have poly bushings from Nolathane for the control arms. Not looking forward to the job but it needs to be done, especially since the DS axle seal is leaking :banghead:

Have sourced new spring washers and friction plates for a 12 bolt LSD so I can re shim it for higher lock up as well. Also have the tool to test lock up force and will report back here findings. May have finally tracked one down after being screwed over by multiple junk yards claiming to have one.

Also picked up a spare engine that supposedly has a Jerry cam in for $150. Came with a pace setter header as well. That block is going to get stripped and will be the basis for a fully forged bottom end and paired with those dual valve springs and TI retainers on my low CR head to handle boost. Unsure of how the Jerry cam will take to boost so I might get a cam ground with less overlap, but that is down the road.

In the mean time I wrapped the pace setter in some TI heat wrap and threw it on with a 2.25in magnaflow muffler and 90* turndown before the axle.

And the most recent development, my heater core is going out so I'll be doing that soon. Always something haha.
MtbRacer
Drives on Gravel

Postby Mogley472 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:52 am

Sweet ride. I'd like to do a similar setup on my 89'. You still going the megasquirt ecu direction?
Mogley472
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MtbRacer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:37 am

Thanks for the compliment. I'm still slowly accumulating parts but have not gotten into the forged/megasquirt build. Looks like MS discontinued the diypnp and I got one of the last unassembled kits. Your best bet if you want a plug in solution would probably be making a jumper harness out of a connector salvaged from a dead/spare ECU. The same connector style (with different pinouts) was used in 16v 4AGE and 22RE Toyotas
MtbRacer
Drives on Gravel

Postby hessmess » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:40 am

Glad to see this is still out there. It had been awhile.
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor