1991 Isuzu Trooper LS - resto

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

1991 Isuzu Trooper LS - resto

Postby lorenzo816 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:28 am

So I got wind of an LS up the road from me about an hour away for sale for a great price.
Turns out the motor sounds terrible and the 4L30 needs some love. The interior was in great shape and the truck overall wasn't abused.
My plan was to find another 2.8 and an mua5 or a 3.4 and an mua5 and drive it for a bit and sell it.

Here are a few pics of when I got it.
She looks great actually. All electric windows, seats look great, interior carpet could use a scrub, but over all just some age and minor surface rust here and there.
And it came with 5 snowflakes and four 'asterisk' wheels too!

A few days after I picked up the black one, through some Zu fam grapevine, I heard of another 2.8 '91 LS with an Mua5 for sale for a great price.
Bad thing is that it was almost flipped and the top was cut half off of it. But at least the drivetrain was there!
Mileage was super low and the guy showed me a video of it running before I decided to drive out.
Since this truck was on the Eastern side of NC, I decided to make a trip to OBX out of it and took the fam on an excursion.
The guy was super nice and let me load the truck and leave it there until my return trip from the beach. Super awesome.
This is Larry the guy who sold me the 'half' trooper. He was happy to see his beloved Trooper live on in another Zu and stay within the Zu fam.

So here they are when I finally got them home and unloaded.

I don't know yet how far I am going to take this Resto.
I'm going to sell everything I don't use, so if you need something, go ahead an PM me.
I plan to service the 4L30 completely minus a band replacement job and sell it. I'm sure someone needs a 4L30.
For the 2.8 that feels thrashed, I dunno yet what to salvage off of it but will find out soon.

As for the running half-trooper, I need to get gas to the engine. The video I saw and I also did this in person was puring gas down the TBI and it sounded great actually.
Problem is its not getting fuel from the pump. So last night, I cut a hole in the rear floor to pull the pump out and replace it.
I'm going to put a new filter inline before I fire it up of course.
I want to get the half-trooper running good before I pull it out.

I'll post pics as I go. Any advice, opinions, or criticism from the Zu fam is welcomed.
I may need some 2.8 spec data as I go.
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float :: Chromoly Bling Bling
Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
PM me if you need anything - Need a Skull Planet Isuzoo sticker?
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 129 times

Sponsor

Re: 1991 Isuzu Trooper LS - resto

Postby DSUZU » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 am

Looks like a double score to me. Fortunately, with BOTH Troopers, you have everything needed to do the auto-manual swap. Personally, if I had mine to do over, I would have just rebuilt the 4L30E, but that's all hindsight now.
Definitely want to follow progress on this project, so keep posting. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 909 times

Postby lorenzo816 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Thanks Dennis.
So the fun finally begins.
I'm going to nickname the donor truck "choppy" to keep things straight when I'm talking about which LS I'm working on.
Anyhow, so I wanted to get Choppy to run on its own power before I started ripping it apart. Little sanity check ya know.

I cut the hole in the rear floor of Choppy so I could pull the fuel pump out. I never heard it hum when I turned the key so I figure it was the culprit.
I've struggled with the fuel pump phillips heads before and I knew better than just go at it and break them off in the process.
I didn't have any PB blaster so brake fluid will have to do.
A weekend later of soaking and I did the head bolt tap trick. Smack the driver with a brass hammer and then turn. Voila all of them came out. Oh but that smell. Barf.
Yep rusty as all get out. I mean baaad. Smelled like turpentine bad.

I wish all these damn trucks had gas drain holes. Anyhow
So I drained it, I put a little fresh gas in and put in an older Rodeo fuel pump in and went to the store to get a battery.
Both extra batteries I have were just not cranking at all even after charging. Sucks to have to cough up another $150 but oh well.
After a few dry key cycles to get the oil turning over, she runs!! And she won't stay running but I don't care. The motor sounds great.
Ignore the busted exhaust but she runs. Video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1U2PfsbeZ3YmfNjN7

Now the next part of the project is to pull the motor and trans out of Choppy and salvage what I can sell and save what i need for the Black LS.
Following tearing down and parting out what is left of choppy, will be servicing the 4L30 from the black one and selling it off. Any takers?
:wink:
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float :: Chromoly Bling Bling
Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
PM me if you need anything - Need a Skull Planet Isuzoo sticker?
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 129 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:05 pm

I bet you were happy to hear it run! And only 125K on the donor vehicle, low miles!

BTW don't scrap the noisy 2.8 in your Black LS, at some future time you could tear it down for a rebuild and do the "3.2 Stroker Mod" to it. With a good cam, maybe some 1.6:1 roller-tipped rockers and a Big-Bore Intake/TBI, it'll have plenty of pep and run rings around a stocker 2.8.

But at least you've got what sounds like a decent engine to work with for the black LS, to get her going again. And quite a treasure-trove of parts on "Choppy".

Sure does save on trips to the wrecking yard, it's only a few feet away! Really nice having every piece imaginable to do an auto-to-manual swap.

Cheers..........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 355 times