PlanetIsuzoo.com (Isuzu SUV Club)

Welcome to the Planetisuzoo Forums!
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:14 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

Got all of the body mounts cut and re-installed for fit up, but waiting on a box of body mount bushings from Jerry to see if there's something I can use to replace the one or two that got trashed in the process. I actually broke my old craftsman vise trying to break free a rusted bolt/sleeve :shock: (on the plus side, as soon as I find a store with a comparable craftsman vise in stock, I can trade it out).

1.5" lower, still have cutting to do on the valence.
Attachment:
Screenshot_20200624-105501.png

Going to use some small angle to clean up the cut edge.
Attachment:
IMG_20200613_160656.jpg

Modified this class 3 hitch (made for 2nd gen Montero)
Attachment:
Screenshot_20200624-130938.png

Drilled two new holes to space the receiver closer to the frame and not hang down as far, then cut off the top 2 holes section:
Attachment:
Screenshot_20200624-105406.png

Anyway, while I wait on the body mount bushings I'll be fitting up the rad and e-fan mounts, then wiring up the fan and bigger alt, THEN if all goes well and the body lift stuff is done, I can start working on the the fuel system some more on the 3.4. I hope it's just overfueling, but there could be a bigger problem, as the oil always smells like gas. If it's just overfueling, I have options. Maybe it's just the tune. But if it's not that, I'll be d-o-n-e with this motor.

Also, because I am a glutton for punishment, I picked up a bone stock 94 samurai with the 1.3 EFI.
Attachment:
Screenshot_20200624-104441.png

It was a beach rig, so more rust that I wanted to deal with, but I figured it will be a trail rig so what does it matter that much... the frame is good, the suspension is pretty ragged, but that's all going to be replaced. It was lady owned and never beat on, just used and maintained pretty normally. 107k miles. Probably bit off more than I need to chew right now, but it's a really fun little rig. My goal is to keep it low, light, nimble, and able to hang with much bigger and $$$ rigs. Probably end up on 33's, roll cage, steering upgrade, fenders reworked for more room + a small lift and slight wheelbase stretch, locked, super low gears. Should be a real heartbreaker out on the trail.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Warn XD9000 w/ synthetic rope, rear swing out tire carrier
1.5" body lift and fuel tank lift
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - topless mini wheeler in the works

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

Updates:

Jerry is THE MAN! His box o' body mount bushings showed up, and I was able to find one that worked perfect AND!!! there were 2 bolts in the box that I was able to use in the rear where I'd forgotten to buy enough resized replacements, and just by luck, they happened to fit just right. AWESOME. All mounts and bushings installed, and bolts loctite'd and torqued.

Next I needed to reattach the fuel filler hoses to the soft lines coming off the tank. The PHILIPS HEAD bolts that hold the fuel filler cover thing in the cargo area were the worst. Luckily, I just happened to have recently bought a "shake n break" attachment for an air hammer (the Samurai door hinges have notoriously difficult bigass philips head bolts). My air hammer was a little weak, but I coudn't use heat in that area and risk blowing stuff up. After spending an inordinate amount of time on these 3 bastiches, finally they were all out. They absolutely never loosened up. Every 1/4 turn was as much effort as breaking them free. They will be replaced with some hex bolts or allen heads at the least.

Attachment:
Screenshot_20200714-144038.png

Moving on to the steering - the steering shaft had an aluminum extension between the shaft and box, and the shaft itself may have had an extension welded in. Without the separate aluminum extension, the extended shaft is too short, and with the extension, it's too long - the shaft won't collapse enough to allow me to get it on. So I'm going to have to figure out what to disconnect where and either weld in an extension to remove the separate AL extension, or chop an inch out and reweld and reuse the separate ext.

I need to revise the fuel tank skid mounts to get that re-mounted, finish up the steering, and then I can focus on getting the rad, e-fan, and bigger alt mounted.

And I'd better hurry, because parts are starting to arrive for the Sami! I've got 6.5:1 gears and 31" tires waiting. I've got a cage, a locker, and electric power steering components on the way. I'm planning to run my old trooper rear springs under the rear of the Zuk and do a rear up front swap for the front suspension. Then a little virtual lift (fender chop and raise) and I'll be ready to do some open top SWB 4wheelin'.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:21 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

I did a barrel roll in a Samurai on Guanella pass.

Don't do barrel rolls in your Sammy.

Also, the screws on that filler cover are THE worst.

2007 Toyota Tacoma aka "Taco-kun"
1986 Ford F250 aka "Mr. Green Jeans"
1979 IH Scout II aka "Boroboro-kun"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

chuffer wrote:
I did a barrel roll in a Samurai on Guanella pass.

Don't do barrel rolls in your Sammy.

Also, the screws on that filler cover are THE worst.

That's why I got the full 6 point roll cage! Although I'm really hoping to limit it to a flop or maybe a turtle situation rather than a balls out barrel roll :blackeye:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:15 pm 
Donor
Donor

I feel your pain buddy , nice to see you making progress atleast !! I’m sorry everything’s been a battle ..

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:05 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

Thanks Brad, you know how it is - reality is usually full of fun surprises throughout a project!

Got done:

Rad mounts, Fan mounts, AD244 alt mounted and wired (both of which I'm not totally done with but will have to see) The alt had a 2 wire plug, I only need one, and I've capped the other for now. Will be testing to see if that will do.

To do:

weld up holes in floor (captive nut fun)
weld angle to rockers to clean that up
fuel tank skid mounts need revising after BL reduction
bend up rear bumper (sch 40 and HF bender, minimalist)
wire in fan (have all flex a lite stuff, instructions seem very good even for a hack like me! So as long as the part work, I shouldn't have too many problems)
mount LS seats (armrests yo!)

Next projects:

ALDL detective work on the fueling
suspension lift reduction, which will entail new track bar mounts, going from a high steer tie rod to just running the drag link to the pass high steer arm, and the tie rod on the stock knuckle provisions. That's the only way to make room to lower the track bar mounts and make room for some more uptravel and lower the suspension simultaneously. Will also need to make new motor mounts so that there's more room for the upper links/brackets. It's either that or lose the coils and links all together and going to leaves, which I've threatened for some time now.

Then I have lockers, tcase gears, cage, and suspension to do on the zuk!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:36 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

You ever get just about done with a project and realize: "dang, I totally should have done this whole thing differently"?

I finished up the rad and fan mounts, and made some baby steps on the wiring, but I'm not really digging the end result of how I have the rad and fan offset, all to dodge the steering box that is moved way fwd on the frame rail as part of the SAS. I'm thinking that I may step back and look at what it would take to mount a steering box with a forward pitman that mounts inside the frame rail. I think the Astro van box will be the ticket. Outside of the frame forward pitman won't work with the coil mounts in the way. My panhard is mounted right below where the box would probably end up, so I need to do more investigation. I could go with an outside the frame rear facing pitman box if it's far enough up the frame, facilitated by an extended steering shaft with an extra ujoint in it.

I also want to delete the oil cooler lines & the smog pump, and really just get rid of a bunch of junk in the engine bay. I have the correct tensioner to get rid of the smog pump, but I'll need to also pull the pass side exhaust mani to replace a broken bolt/stud while I'm there. I think between that a building new motor mounts, I'll end up with more room in the bay and less things to potentially go wrong.

So it looks like I'll be tinkering on this thing until next Fall haha :blackeye: :blackeye:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:24 pm 
Donor
Donor

Fall is right around the corner bubba!

91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:04 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

hessmess wrote:
Fall is right around the corner bubba!

Only 2.5 months til Uwharrie - I've got my work cut out for me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:26 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

Well, it looks like there would be a lot of work involved to switch steering boxes. Changing to an outside of the frame rear facing pitman wouldn't work because my body mount is in the way. And then the panhard/track bar mount is smack where an inside the frame fwd facing pitman box would sit. I may could run a new track bar bracket off the outside of the frame to make it work, but I would need to mock some stuff up. Lots of noggin scratchin' to do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:44 pm 
Zu Royalty

Would moving the trac bar mount outside not cause rubbing issue when turning?

2002 Isuzu Axiom In Progress, 3.5 Rebuild, AR5 swap, and Suspension Refresh/Lift
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=74409

1997 Trooper, Just picked up with bad trans. Build thread coming soon...

A lot of parts rigs and future projects... 1988 2.6l 5 spd Trooper, 1988 2.6l Auto Trooper, 1989 2.8l 5spd Trooper, 1989 2.6l Auto Trooper with 4.77s, 1989 2.6l Auto RS Trooper, 1989 2.8l 5spd Trooper, 1990 2.8l Auto Trroper, 1991 2.8l Auto Trooper, 2002 3.5l Auto Axiom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:51 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

btw1549 wrote:
Would moving the trac bar mount outside not cause rubbing issue when turning?

It's just ahead of the coil mount hoop thingy. So its pretty out of the way of tire scrub. But it would be tricky to mount the steering box on the inside of the frame and have the track bar mount on the other side, with the track bar running underneath.

Attachment:
Screenshot_20200820-123011~2.png

I find myself very close to just going to leaves. When I look at the pros and cons to make this suspension work better or just unhackify other interferences caused by the suspension, leafs become very attractive.

This suspension doesn't net me more travel than I'd have with a leaf setup (driveshaft bind prevents using available droop, axle side track bar mount/frame and upper link mount/motor mount interference prevents more compression). It may plant the tires a little better on the trail, but I don't know for sure. It's not great on the road, and lowering it a few inches without a lot of other work eats up most of my compression travel. So redoing track bar mounts, fabricating higher clearance motor mounts, building new track bar as well maybe also a new tie rod and drag link, or cutting all that out and welding in some spring perches and hangers....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:23 pm 
Zu Royalty

What about moving it to the other side?

2002 Isuzu Axiom In Progress, 3.5 Rebuild, AR5 swap, and Suspension Refresh/Lift
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=74409

1997 Trooper, Just picked up with bad trans. Build thread coming soon...

A lot of parts rigs and future projects... 1988 2.6l 5 spd Trooper, 1988 2.6l Auto Trooper, 1989 2.8l 5spd Trooper, 1989 2.6l Auto Trooper with 4.77s, 1989 2.6l Auto RS Trooper, 1989 2.8l 5spd Trooper, 1990 2.8l Auto Trroper, 1991 2.8l Auto Trooper, 2002 3.5l Auto Axiom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

If you mean moving it to the rear of the axle, I believe there will be oil pan interference. I will check tho - if there's a way to snake a bar back there with a few bends to clear everything, I would be fine with that. Would open up a lot of real estate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:05 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

Full hydro it now?

2007 Toyota Tacoma aka "Taco-kun"
1986 Ford F250 aka "Mr. Green Jeans"
1979 IH Scout II aka "Boroboro-kun"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:13 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

chuffer wrote:
Full hydro it now?

I'm not comfortable with absolutely no steering if the motor isn't running. I like the mechanical linkage.

I looked and there's no good way to run the track bar behind the axle. Upper links and oil pan in the way. If the upper mounts weren't where they are I could probably make it work.

I think a part of the overall issue is the "Y link" radius arm design, with the lower mounts flush with the bottom of the axle tube, and the uppers above the pumpkin. High clearance underneath, crowded up on top. If my radius arms were the traditional Ford truck/Bronco or FZJ80 Landcruiser design, where the radius arms mount much lower on the axle, I wouldn't have as many interferences, and there would also be more room to mount the track bar on either side of the axle.

I do think I'm going to be able to live with the relocated fan after all. It's not the cleanest solution, but I need to get a new radiator, as mine got more dinged up than I thought when it fell off the table when I was fitting up the fan :( Swapping to a different box is just going to be too much to bite off right now.

So where does all of this leave things? If I want to reduce ride height and improve suspension travel, I'm still left with building and relocating the track bar mounts and building a new track bar, and redoing the motor mounts, if I leave everything else alone. Otherwise, I can redesign the radius arms and mounts themselves, plus the track bar. Or, slap a set of leaf springs under it and cut all the extra stuff out of the way and go on with my life until I'm limited by that setup, and THEN go with something more complicated.

OH, in other news, I'm not diggin the bigger alternator, it actually rests against my battery. So, I'm just going to go back to the stocker, but a 100amp version instead of the 85amp. I'll upsize my charging wire and grounds as well. If that's not enough for the fan, I'll upgrade again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:43 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

Nothing going on lately, mostly working on the samurai. New radiator should be here today, and I'll remove the fan, old rad, tensioner pulley, smog pump, exhaust manifold on pass side. Then I'll be trying to fix the broken exhaust manifold stud, and put everything back together minus the smog pump, routing everything 3.1 style. Then I'll install rad and fan, wire that joker, install alternator, belt, and get her making vroomy noises again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:37 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

New rad showed up. Need to modify for mounting the fan, get it back in and get it wired.

Got the rad, fan, alt, alt braces/mounts, smog pump, tensioner, and exhaust manifold off.

Need to get the broken stud out of the head, that will be fun. I have exhaust manifold gaskets and a new stud on the way.

If I can get Humpty Dumpty back together again, and running, I'll just have some body stuff to weld back up, and reinstall carpet and seats. Oh and I have to finish up the gas tank skid mounts.

Buddies want to do a uwharrie trip in a month so it's gonna be a mad dash.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:10 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

FINALLY got the broken stud out of the head. Only took a dozen or so tries.
Attachment:
PXL_20200924_191849821~2.jpg

Location, angle, visibility were tough. Only had a few threads sticking out. Would have been very difficult to get a drill lined up to extract any other way.

Now I'm waiting for a break in the rain to start putting stuff back together!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32