Another 91 for me

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: Another 91 for me

Postby hessmess » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Still running around in the Trooper, I don't drive it as much as I have the Spacer too. I haven't done anything to it except put in a trailer wiring plug. Found several corroded wires and fixed them. For the first time my rear window washer works! Still running great, I am thinking I may do Moab this next year. Last year was not good for me, wrong frame of mind I guess. Pressure washed the engine today, as I had the washer out and was cleaning the Spacer engine. They were sitting side by side so it got it too. Looks good. I am going to see if I can still put up a picture. I replaced the steering wheel a year ago. Took a picture but never put it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 163 times

Sponsor

Postby RickP » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Good to see it's still running good. I'don't like to make Moab next year, also since I have done anything fun in the Trooper for quite still me time, but it's one heck of a trek for me.
RickP
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby hessmess » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeah it is! Well we can make a plan anyways. I don't get to crazy as I have to make it home too. If I go I have to get some stuff done on it. T Bars, sliders, stuff been sitting here for way to long!
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:08 am

hessmess wrote:I replaced the steering wheel a year ago. Took a picture but never put it up.

Diggin' the steering wheel! :thumbup: The adapter kit makes it look like the install would be fairly simple, did that end up being the case?

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby hessmess » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm

It really was a no brainer with the kit, I think it took about an hour. I really like the wheel. My grandson wants one for his Trooper now. But he needs tires first.
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby hessmess » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Time for a quick update on this, it is still running and gets used from time to time. I haven't done much other than maintain and drive it.
I did manage to get a winch mounted up. It is on a receiver hitch with quick disconnects and can be moved to the rear of the vehicle if needed. I haven't run the cables to the rear yet but will by next spring. I also cleaned up some of the light bar wiring while I was running cables and installed a switch that actually says light bar on it. Not just a generic switch now. It turned 200K last November and I have only put 2500 on it in the last year. I still have to put the new torsion bars and sliders on it, but that will have to wait for spring.
I am planning on Moab in May of 2020! Hoping to meet up with some folks there. I retired in September finally and can't wait to get out and about.
I am spending the winter in England with my daughter and her family. So my Isuzu's will sit for the winter. But when I get back it will be full steam ahead on some Trooper runs.
Yesterday my brother and I made a run to the mountains and had some fun. Got up to 8500 feet, no snow yet but the wind was just howling on the ridges. Trooper ran great and it was good to get out. Took some pictures but haven't put them on the computer yet.
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby hessmess » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:23 pm

Been awhile since I last posted on the Trooper, Haven't done anything other than drive it a little bit. I did manage to get detained for a bit, but managed to break in the winch and got myself out. Darn drifted snow! Winch worked very well, I better upgrade the battery soon as I have a small CCA one that probably is to small for the V6 anyway.
I am still planning on Moab in May of this year. Planning on camping out.
I didn't make it over to England as planned this year, one of my grandsons was severely injured in a car wreck in early November, he was life flighted to SLC with a TBI, long story short he was there for several months, is now home and slowly returning back to the kid I admire. I elected to stay home and help where I could and I still take care of him 4 afternoons a week. He cannot be left alone just yet. Some of you know this as I had put some of the information on FB
So now I still have to do a bunch to the Trooper to get it ready for Moab. The main things I want to do is install better T-bars and the sliders. I have had them for several years and it is time to unwrap them. Down the road I plan on upgrading the tie rod ends also.
I have another England/Norway/Scotland and Normandy trip planned for June and July, I have to take advantage of my daughter living there while I can. They are due to transfer out in the next couple of years.
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby hessmess » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Couple of picts of me being stuck (detained)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am

I am really happy to hear that your grandson is home and healing, bless all of you who are surrounding him with such love and care.

And do you have a land anchor, or did you pull yourself out... uh, I mean correct your temporary detainment with the shrubs?

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby hessmess » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Thank you for the kind thoughts on my grandson,
I don't have a land anchor for the winch just yet, I don't think that I could of gotten it to engage anyway. That was some frozen ground! In the background you can see a frozen pond I was hoping to get to. I did get there and then had to find another way out as I could not get back up that hill with the drifted snow, and to make it worse it was crusted. I was high centered on the frozen snow is what happened.
I used the winch cable and a 20 foot chain to get suitable winch point. But I did use the sagebrush as an anchor point. It held pretty well.
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby hessmess » Fri May 22, 2020 11:40 pm

Another small update, I did get the T bars replaced and a shackle lift in the back. What prompted me was I got really stuck again. Out with a 4WD club. They enjoyed pulling me out. Couldn't winch out, it was what stuck me, Impaled itself in a muddy bank and disappeared! Took some time to pressure wash that puppy off. So it is lifted 1.5 inches in the rear and 1 inch in the front.
Chose not to do Moab, Motel rates, virus, etc. England was also cancelled due to the virus, well delayed anyway. My Grandaughter is going to be full grown at this rate!
Been out a few times since all this came down. It is nice to live out here, remoteness has its advantages sometimes. Headed out over the weekend again. Had a nice snowstorm earlier today and rain all week, weird. This is supposed to be a desert. Let the mud and snow fly!
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am

hessmess wrote:It is nice to live out here, remoteness has its advantages sometimes. Headed out over the weekend again.

It's been interesting to see how outdoor spaces and activities have been affected by the pandemic in my area. The closure of parks, campgrounds and OHV trails has naturally resulted in a huge swell of people doing things on the lakes and rivers which have generally remained accessible. Places are slowly starting to open back up, it will be equally as interesting to see if the balance will return to what it was or if peoples' new found interest in things like fishing and paddling will remain higher as a "new normal".

I hope you enjoy (or enjoyed) your time out in the wild!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sat May 23, 2020 3:50 pm

I think the "silver lining" behind the cloud of covid is that people found themselves with...TIME. we all get so rushed and pressured. I have seen so many folks out walking and biking in my neighborhood (we're very scenic). I only hope folks learn to stick with the extra activity. As a side note, it's also been very good for the environment. From what I've seen, the great reduction of driving and energy production / consumption has really cleaned up the air in some places. It's a shame the whole world couldn't take a one month vacation (STAYcation) every year. I know that's not feasible, and unfortunately, most would only increase vehicle use. I got called in to work today. One of our John Deere Gators quit down at the beach. I went in, got it going (blown ignition fuse) and "Had" to make a 3 mile drive up the beach in 4wd :lol:. Beach was very crowded. Many WEREN'T practicing the 6 foot rule :roll:. Dennis
P.S. another victim of Covid was the U-pull It holiday sale. I went, was shocked at the price for the stuff I bought, and they told me the sales had been cancelled since Covid came out :cry:. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 869 times

Previous

Return to Member's Rides