Weber carburetor rant

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Weber carburetor rant

Postby steve mortillaro » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:41 pm

My '87 Toyota has a Weber carburetor. It's been great, as long as its in tune (otherwise it likes to diesel bit). It's not that old- maybe has about 15-20k miles on it. The throttle shaft started sticking, so I ordered a new throttle shaft bearing kit from Pegasus Auto- who is great and had the part in about 2 days. So I go to replace the old nylon bushings with real metal bearings. When I went to unscrew the throttle plate, I noticed that the heads of the screws are a little bit wallowed out. Well, I unscrewed them and what do you know? one of them pulled the threads out of the throttle shaft. This was a new carburetor to me that I purchased from Redline, mfg. in Spain- real Weber apparently, but when the throttle plate was screwed on, it was cross threaded. They just jammed it in there- kept going and forced it in.... Big suck!
Now I'm waiting for a new throttle shaft and will probably keep the old one and tap it just a little bigger as a spare
1986 Trooper II- My old beater- gone, but missed
1990 Trooper XS v6- Best vehicle I ever owned
1991 Trooper SE v6- The new and ongoing project
1987 Toyota 4x4 pickup- Farm truck
2000 Ford E-250 xl- work van
steve mortillaro
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times

Sponsor

Re: Weber carburetor rant

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:17 pm

Man, they just don't make 'em like they used to! I expect Weber quality control in the Good Old Days was much better. Very frustrating to find stuff that they couldn't even bother to screw together right at the factory.

Years ago I had '72 Datsun 521 1600 pickup, and I ended up finding a Weber single-sidedraft carb and intake for that engine. It really flew! I was blowing off Olds Cutlass V6 Sports Coupes at the stoplights! It didn't have the cross-over manifold, so didn't carburate that smoothly at low speeds. But it had a killer top end! The little L-16 would just scream. I eventually got a 2-bbl progressive carb and replaced the Weber. It still ran pretty good and idled real nice. Now, if I had had a hot cam, header, and Twin DCOEs on that, I would have been in 7th Heaven!! :mrgreen:

G'luck with your cranky Weber!..........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby DSUZU » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:45 pm

steve mortillaro wrote: When I went to unscrew the throttle plate, I noticed that the heads of the screws are a little bit wallowed out

Many manufacturers used to "stake" throttle and choke plate screws to keep them from coming loose. The service procedure was to replace shaft and screws. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 977 times

Postby steve mortillaro » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:37 am

That makes sense. Perhaps also why the bearing kit comes with new screws. I think I'll try purple loctite on the screws instead of peening or damaging the new screw threads. Hope the purple stuff can handle non-ethanol 87 octane. A quick web search tells me people are using this on throttle plate screws.
1986 Trooper II- My old beater- gone, but missed
1990 Trooper XS v6- Best vehicle I ever owned
1991 Trooper SE v6- The new and ongoing project
1987 Toyota 4x4 pickup- Farm truck
2000 Ford E-250 xl- work van
steve mortillaro
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times