2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stability

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stability

Postby wesf » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee last fall to replace our totaled Trooper. Towing power is a nice improvement over the Trooper, but towing stability is not as good. Our travel trailer is a 20.5ft Sunline, weighing in at 3000# empty. The Trooper was always pretty solid towing it, but the Jeep had me on edge the whole trip to the beach this summer. Kinda got used to it after a while on the road, but never fully comfy. Only once for a brief moment did it really worry me, but felt a little squirrely the whole time. I'm not using a sway control hitch, and didn't with the Trooper either. Seems like the whole suspension is soft or something. There's a spot on a local country road with a bit of a hump, if you get up enough speed quick enough after a turn, you can approach airborne for a very brief moment...have done that with several vehicles, but doing it with the Jeep (not towing!!), it almost felt like it was trying to come down slightly sideways in the road...not a good feeling, and one I didn't expect based on past experience. Yes, that probably makes me sound like an idiot driver, but I assure it's not as bad of a bump in the road as it sounds! Just using that example of how it seems to be in the suspension setup of the vehicle, and I'm guessing that isn't helping towing stability either.

Aside from the obvious thought of trying a sway bar (hitch is capable, but I don't have the bar or mount on the trailer), does anyone have any thoughts? Any other later model Grand Cherokee owners in here that could comment on how theirs handles?

Thanks,

Wesley
wesf
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times

Sponsor