New England "Quaddy" cat boat

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

New England "Quaddy" cat boat

Postby DSUZU » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 pm

First, definition: A "cat boat" is a sail boat where the mast is mounted far forward.
History: For almost 20 years, my best friend and I have each had a "small" sail boat (typically, what one of us has, the other one soon gets - and often there is a "one up" factor. We've sailed them together exactly ONE time.
My boat is a 12 foot "ZEF" sloop. (Zef was some kind of famous French Admiral - the boat is French built) Sloops mount the mast farther back and often have 2 sails, a main and a jib. MY boat is faster, and is a "cockpit" type boat.
His boat. the Quaddy, is an open almost row boat type that has a single sail. Because of it's openness, it is a little more versatile, it also has a 2 piece mast that is much easier to set up than my 16 foot long mast. In Isuzu terms, the Quaddy is a (first gen) Trooper, the ZEF is a Vehicross.
I haven't used my boat in 3 years, his boat hasn't been used since 2006. It was wrapped in a "blue tarp" that rotted out and the weather took it's toll on the boat. When they listed their house, the realtor (and his wife) said "The boat has to go". I had been thinking "we should consolidate down to one boat - his - and start using it. Then it suddenly became "mine" . It was hurt pretty bad. Not only was all the woodwork deteriorated, it had been sitting on a poorly designed trailer, it had filled with water, and the weight caused the trailer to pierce the hull. I dragged it home, and HIS wife thought I had hauled it to the dump until MY wife filled her in on the facts (it's not the first time "we" have been in trouble. :D
So far, I built a proper cradle for the trailer, "reshaped" the ruptured spot in the hull (have all the fiberglass to fix it), and removed all the woodwork. The plywood transom (sandwiched in fiberglass) also had a rotten spot, so it too, is in the process of being replaced. It will be upgraded from 1/2" to 3/4" to accomodate going from a 5HP outboard to probably a 9.9 ( :D :D ) - for motor use purposes. I also have been ripping redwood into strips and "scarf joining" them into long pieces that I will laminate into new gunwales.
Quaddy Cat Boat and ZEF sloop 001.JPG
Quaddy Cat Boat and ZEF sloop 002.JPG
[attachment=0]Quaddy Cat Boat and ZEF sloop 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 977 times

Sponsor

Re: New England "Quaddy" cat boat

Postby Hack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Good luck with the repair. Be careful not to get the fiberglass in you skin. I hate working with the stuff especially when it is hot and humid.
Mario

Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1995 Trooper, Auto, 3.2L DOHC. Engine caught fire in driveway with engine off and no one near vehicle. Cause never determined. Remains sent to crusher.
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Looks like the sloop is sold (money is in my pocket, but boat still here - supposed to pick it up tomorrow). Done a little wood work, hopefully post pictures tomorrow of progress. too much time spent on yard work (fence rebuild) :cry:. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am

Pretty cool! I want to see this one fixed!

We have had a handful of sailboats over the years. Like your friend.... we've never sold one! Just destroyed them...

We got a Snarf (like a styrofoam cooler construction but the size of a bathtub). It has the Birdseye Vegetables logo on the sail because it was originally a giveaway from a grocery store. The plastic rudder hardware eventually gave up and we picked up a Zuma. This was a huge up grade! It is still mostly in serviceable shape, except it was stored upside down and a branch fell and cracked the underside of the hull.

When I was maybe 10 or 11, we got a Hobie Wave catamaran to keep at a vacation home. It was cool because you could take it apart and roof top transport a catamaran! It survived a few hurricanes, one of which washed it away and it was found and brought back! Then it came back home for a while and it was stolen. Then it was found a few miles away abandoned. Now it's tied up back at the vacation home, but not much better for the wear.

I have an 18 foot sloop called a Tangerine 18 (Renken made a similar Renken 18). Its a shoal keel and is often criticized for not being a great sailer. Some of the geometry of the mast base has the center of effort and the center of resistance slightly off, so it wants to turn a lot. Its been sidelined for a few years, especially with the little boat and then my wife got a sea-doo. It goes fast. Way faster than sailing on a lake.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 4Runner Limited- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
2018 GMC Sierra

For this post the author N law was thanked by:
DSUZU
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby squatch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Cool little boat!
My builds are dead without the pics photobucket was holding hostage. The pics have been deleted and so have the links from my sig.

For this post the author squatch was thanked by:
DSUZU
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 362 times

Postby DSUZU » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks guys. Got the rest of the transom plywood cut out yesterday and sanded the glass skin back there. On the woodwork, up at the very bow were two pieces, the "breast hook", a triangle shaped piece that is in the very top of the bow, and the mast thwart (or mast mounting block). The mast thwart actuallu underlaps the breast block by about an inch. Both were badly weathered, and had some cracks (made of Mahogany). I epoxied the cracks in the thwart, worked mahogany sawdust into the cracks, and let it set up. Then I sanded it and the top came out well. Then, because this carries almost all of the mast load, I cut a solid 3/4 oak plank to the same shape and glued it to the bottom of the thwart. The breast block was damaged beyond repair, so I made a pattern, and cut a duplicate out of the mahogany plank that had been the front seat (much if it was badly weathered, and it was cupped). The first duplicate didn't turn out as good as I liked. I cut a second and will be boiling it and clamping it to try to get the cup / warp out of it. Most of the rest of the trim will be made with redwood. I have a bunch of redwood from where my enclosed back patio was made with redwood back in the 70s. The patio is aged, so it's coming down and yielding some real hard to find redwood. Pics tomorrow, I promise - spent today out playing in a 20 foot (I think it was 20) "Seahunt" with a Yamaha 150. My buddy was down and he has access to the boat, so we went out - even if the day was gray, choppy, and windy. You know what they say about "a bad day of boating". I drove most of the day. At one point, surrounded by about 15 dolphins, I said "I need to have more money" :D Dennis
Edit Pics as promised:
Quaddy repairs 001.JPG
Quaddy repairs 002.JPG
Quaddy repairs 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby DSUZU » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 am

The picture of the transom shows where there had been an uneven bonding between the original plywood and the glass skin. I took an angle grinder and levelled off the areas where there was a distinct ridge and sanded off all remaining bits of the original plywood. I left the thicker area at the very bottom, the gel there was about 1/8" thick. To compensate, I routed out a section of the new plywood transom. Cut that out and glassed the side that will be bonded to the transom skin. While I had a batch of resin mixed up, I bonded in the PVC drain tube, and did the first section of the hull patch. I'm intentionally making the hull patch in sections so that the overlp will add some strength to the area. While I've had plenty of experience with fiberglass, this is my first time working with epoxy resin. When I bond the transom, I have silica filler to add to the resin to thicken it. Haven't worked with that before either. Thank God for youtube videos.
Plywood transom 001.JPG
Plywood transom 002.JPG
Plywood transom 003.JPG

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby DSUZU » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm

"Bonded" the transom today. To me, this was a scary step because as I said earlier, I haven't worked with the thickening agent before. Fingers are crossed. After watching a few videos, I started by pouring in my amount of resin. Then I mixed in the thickening agent, this makes it into more of a gel. After thoroughly stirring that, I added the hardener and again, thoroughly stirred that. First, I spread a coat of the mix on the plywood transom board. Next, I spread a generous amount on the fiberglass transom skin. I inserted the plywood and first "clamped" the bottom using the scissor jack and 2 blocks (gotta be careful to not bond the blocks to anything) With the size if the transom, I had to be creative in clamping because ordinary clamps won't reach, and I wanted to do my best to prevent any voids in the bond. The jack held the bottom firmly against the skin. Next, I used large spring clamps to hold a 2x2 across the top (or near the top). Then, I used 1-1/4 square steel tubing (black pieces) to bridge between the 2x2 and a 2x4 that I placed across about mid way to the bottom. I used my largest C clamps to clamp between the boards as far as I could reach so that pressure was applied to both boards. The skin is somewhat flexible, the 3/4 plywood not so. After securing all of that, I placed the bunch of spring clamps along the top to keep that all together. We'll see what the next 24 hours hold.
transom bonding 002.JPG
transom bonding 001.JPG

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm

This is when you should just vacuum seal the boat in order to clamp it. I saw someone do that in the wood shop in college in order to form laminated pieces of wood together along a molded profile. It was a pretty cool procedure.

Looking good!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 GMC Sierra
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Given that nobody has posted in "other vehicles" in over a month, I figured I'd add a brief update on the boat, which I am slowly plugging away at. This picture shows part of the process for making the rub rails (outside) and gunwales (inside). I ripped redwood into 1/4" by about 2" strips. Next, I had to make scarf joints to have the strips be about 13 feet long. Then, I clamped the first strip to the hull, applied glue to the second strip, and clamped it about every 6" as shown. After curing for 24 hours (or according to my schedule - whenever), I clamped the 3rd strip in the same way. For the inside, I had to attach the gunwale blocks (will be shown in later post) and repeated this process on the inside of the hull. When all were completed, it was time to trim and sand all excess glue off, sand the, now molded, rails, apply stain and several coats of clear urethane. This picture was actually taken in early December (note Christmas lights) on my phone to show my buddy that I had snuck the boat into "the wife's" garage (that didn't last too long). Hopefully, I'll make more progress (and pictures) later this week. Dennis
1208171602 (2) Boat in garage.jpg

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby squatch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Keep it going. I like this. I think you have even more irons in the fire than I do! :lol:

Yep the planet has been getting quiet lately. All except the classifieds. Not a good sign. :(
My builds are dead without the pics photobucket was holding hostage. The pics have been deleted and so have the links from my sig.
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 am

Engine re-builder by day, woodworking boat builder by night! I'm impressed with the skills you possess!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 GMC Sierra
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Mark and Nick: Thanks. Mark, you are correct about the irons and the fire. I've been torturing myself over a '63 Corvair convertible that has been on craigslist for about a month now. Have to stick with common sense and keep saying no.
Nick - you should have seen when I had the airplane in my garage at my old house :D - for real. Sold it after second child to buy this house :( :( Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby DSUZU » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 pm

So I realized two things:
First, I got this boat back in October, so we're pushing 6 months on this project (yeah, more off than on, but still "in progress".
Second, It's been almost a month since any report. Here goes. Much of my "boat time" has been spent with applying coat after coat of stains or clear urethane. There has also been the laminating of parts and planks to give the width for the seats. Finally got woodwork done, and rails installed and decided the interior needed to be painted. The time sitting full of water left stains from the wood and rust that would nor come out of the fiberglass. In addition there was the place where I had done the inside patch and several spots that were stained from the urethane glue which dripped when I was laminating the inside rails. The gray in the pictures is epoxy fiberglass resin with a mixture of a little bit of gray and much more white pigment to give a very light gray color (gray pigment, which shows up on the transom is too dark). I wanted to do the bottom of the boat in this as it will hold up to foot traffic better than paint (my last boat, which was painted with an enamel / hardener ended up scratched in all the heavy traffic areas. The sides I did in a white oil based enamel with just enough black mixed in to give it an off white. Other than a spot where the epoxy pigments seem to have separated, it came out pretty good. After painting, I installed the seats and braces for the center board trunk. I still have to make a molding for under the front of the rear most seat and I decided to do a wood decking on the front area in the bow. Juggling this project with a welding job I'm doing for a guy and some pieces of landscape equipment to repair for another guy. "all work and no play..."
boat progress 001.JPG
boat progress 002.JPG
boat progress 003.JPG

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am

the little money pit looks nice! Very nice.

Now you'll have to paint the trailer to match.
2015 BMW 328i (The Mighty Wife's ride)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab (my fat car with a yuge trunk)
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (SOLD)
1968 Kaiser M715, Ford 390, T18, Dodge divorced NP205, stock Dana 60 and 70 axles, lockers front and rear.

For this post the author Von was thanked by:
DSUZU
Von
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby squatch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Great job!

For this post the author squatch was thanked by:
DSUZU
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby DSUZU » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, she is starting to look like something other than a flower bed. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 pm

I know how you feel :| my BS IV AKA Blue Shark 4 forced a lot of my skill sets back into practice :roll: . But I still have not tried the motor since i dropped the new head on it :cry:
Its a small amount of fuel , but it's a whole lot of walking..Note from my Dad
97 Rodeo 3.2 AKA THE PAVEMENT PRINCESS pretty much stock DEAD PARTS DONOR
88 TROOPER II 2.6 Auto Weber 32/36 Carb 9k Winch
95 Rodeo 3.2 Manual AKA Frankenstien this will be off roadered
91 Rodeo 3.1 Auto The GREY GHOST new highway runner
9 ft 1963 Harbercraft
12 ft fiberglass boat
14ft 1962 Powercat 14T boat
Fishing Rods lots of those !
PPCLI-JIM
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby shaggydoink » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 am

I'm not sure how I could have missed this thread for so long, but read through this morning... what an amazing job you have been doing Dennis! Growing up my Dad owned a 1965 Tripp Lentsch and comparable year Dyer Dhow with the sailing package, I have vivid memories of him spending days and days tending to the woodwork on them, something I didn't really appreciate until I got older.

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture from the maiden voyage! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.

For this post the author shaggydoink was thanked by:
DSUZU
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 414 times

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks John. Actually, I have been doing stuff here and there on the boat. Spent maybe a month, sanding the center board and rudder down to bare wood, staining and coat after coat of clear urethane (in between rain and very high humidity days). Couldn't do much else as anytime I'd uncover the boat, along came the next storm. Then last Saturday, it was "boat day". Nice weather, uncovered and started going around putting in screws and hardware that has been waiting. Mounted the hinges and hung the rudder. Mounted the oak inner transom. Then it started to cloud up in the evening and it was shut down time. It is getting closer to getting in the water, but the brakes are on for the next few weeks. Wife and I are headed up north (Michigan) for a weeks vacation and to see our niece (the one up there) graduate from high school. I have to work tomorrow, maybe I'll get a pic to post after work. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby finefettle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:23 am

Excellent work Captain. Have you had her out yet?
1988 Trooper LS ,4ZE1,Aisin Autotrans, manual hubs,cruise control
1989 Trooper LS 4ZE1, Manual,stock
finefettle
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:29 am

Ah yes, "life goes on". A few weeks back, I really started digging in on the finishing touches. Then the wife and I took a week to go up north to see family. Then I started back on my paver project (replacing broken 24" x 24" pavers and packing the ground underneath - still in progress, but close to finished). Then a leaky faucet in my bath turned into the plumbing job from hell. The hot water supply pipe broke off IN THE WALL (water was turned off). Cut hole in wall, find problem, also found drain had a brass pipe soldered into the copper pipe and the brass pipe was paper thin and began to disintegrate, replaced that too. 8 trips to Home Depot, 2 trips to Lowes (no luck there) 1 trip to Napa (for teflon pipe dope like we use at work - really good stuff), 1 trip to a plumbing supply store (1-1/4 pipe is not carried in the "box stores"), a whole week of after work afternoons and evenings and it's finally finished - except for replacing a few tiles.
About 10 more pavers to put down (80+ lbs each), and I can get back to "play time" :roll: Note: plumbing and paver work keeps wife happy :lol: . Boat doesn't. :wink:

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:20 am

No matter how many times I do plumbing, learn new tricks and get new tools to make it “easier,” it is always a pain. I hate plumbing. The downside is that it’s not complicated so I never think I should call someone when I have an issue. It’s always 11pm after 6 hours of working on it that I’m thinking I should have called someone. And it’s always something little takes the project from simple to major. I now keep a handful of shark bite end caps so I can sleep, she can shower and we can try again tomorrow. I hate plumbing!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 GMC Sierra
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:25 am

Oh yeah. I forgot the emergency trip to Autozone last Sunday evening (30 minutes before closing - Home Depot closed right before I got there) to get a 1 foot piece of power steering return hose. That, a pair if hose clamps and the drill end of a 5/8 drill bit plugged the hot water copper pipe coming out of the slab. 2 Years ago, I was replacing the water supply line from the meter to the house (64 years old and galvanized - Oh and right through the roots of my grand oak). Fortunately, when the plumber I called for final hook up came out, she said all of my copper pipes looked good - and from what I saw, they are. We only have the one bathroom. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:38 am

That sounds like a creative solution! We came back from Disney on our second anniversary to find the water line had a leak and the water company shut off our meter. Oh and the AC was broken (this was mid July) on a Friday. I rented a small tractor loader backhoe and dug my own trench Saturday morning, running PEX from meter to whole house shutoff. I only found 1 natural gas line in the process! A buddy driving by saw the fire trucks and helped me get the AC up and going (bad wiring connections at the compressor). That was one of my worst experiences.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 GMC Sierra