New England "Quaddy" cat boat

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: New England "Quaddy" cat boat

Postby DSUZU » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Yes, the "joys" of home ownership. Because the oak has so many roots, I opted to jet the new line. Dug a few holes, hooked up a hose and started rodding. Every time it hit something, i'd measure, dig s hole and either route the PVC over or under or I'd cut out the root or whatever. Kept the whole thing about 15 feet away from the tree. The plumber told me I saved myself about 4500.00 by doing that. she said most companies would just bring in a trencher ($$$$$) and dig a trench.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 974 times

Sponsor

Postby N law » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Yeah, I did the whole thing, rental and all, for around $350. Luckily the gas company didn’t charge me for putting the gas line back together.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 4Runner Limited- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
2018 GMC Sierra
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm

FINALLY!!!!! It has been raining so much here that I can hardly get ANYTHING done. It has stayed fairly cloudy, and then suddenly it's lightning and pouring rain with very little "put away" time. Saturday started pretty clear, so I uncovered the Quaddy, dragged it around front, and "displaced" the wife's car from the garage (it didn't matter to her, starting at 10:00 it was SEC football Saturday, so the wife and daughters were "occupied" until after I went to bed that night. I still didn't get all that much done to the boat, but I did get the winch post and winch all mounted on the trailer. The boat continued to occupy the garage until this afternoon.
When I finally got home, I pulled it out, cleaned up a few things and got to work on the mast and rigging. First time the boat has been "rigged" in a good 20 years. Next step is a few more screws in the boat, checking / servicing trailer bearings, and I need to drag it down to the lake, load about 300 lbs of ballast and mark the hull for the waterline. After that, I roll it over and gel coat the bottom - probably red, with a white stripe at the waterline.
Quaddy all rigged 001.JPG
Quaddy all rigged 002.JPG

P.S. even though I waited until about 6:00 PM to start working, within a few minutes, I was soaked in sweat - and I was trying to stay in the shade. Prime sailing season is approaching :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:38 pm

It's very exciting to see this Dennis, and very cool that you've given it new life after 20 years! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.

For this post the author shaggydoink was thanked by:
DSUZU
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 414 times

Postby hessmess » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 pm

I think the red will look great slicing through the water. But as an old Coastie I always like the white and red combo!
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 173 times

Postby hessmess » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Now that I looked again, I see it is actually blue. Still gonna look good!
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 am

hessmess wrote: But as an old Coastie I always like the white and red combo!

Dick, I didn't realize you were a "Coastie" (or I forgot :roll:) I work with a few Coasties - well, 1 of them retired. He went from a "boot" all the way up to a W-4 (Reserves). He spent a few years with part of his duty being in charge of security for the Shuttle launches. He too, likes to sail, and I plan to offer him the use of this boat any time he wants when it is all done. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby DSUZU » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:56 pm

So yesterday (Friday), I got off work and got into the wheel bearings. On jacking it up and spinning the wheels, it all seemed smooth. On pulling the buddy caps, the grease looked good. Better check and be sure. WRONG! Typical Florida, somehow, a small amount of moisture had gotten in there. There was fretting on the races and a few of the rollers. Pulled everything down, punched the races out, and ordered new bearings. They'll be here Thursday. Today (it was MY Saturday to work :roll:), I decided to go ahead and pull the axle and clean it up and paint it.
Funny how things remind you. I had mentioned that it had been 20 years since it had been rigged with the sail - it turns out it was probably 18-19. We had been moved into this house less than a year, and my friend and his family came down with the boat, and my family and I took our boat and we all went over to Lake Maggiorie (about a mile from my house - the big lake when you look at St Pete) for a day of sailing. When we were done, he hit a pot hole and the axle of his (this) trailer bent. He parked it all at my house and ordered a new axle, hubs , bearings, wheels , and springs from a local marine store. Other than me using the boat in rivers, the last time in 2006, it hasn't been moved except to tow it from his old house to his "new" house, then down to my house. The axle, is a solid steel axle. I cleaned off the surface rust and hit the axle and springs with a good coat of Ospho. Tomorrow, I'll give it all a good coat of Rustoleum "rust control black.
boat trailer 001.JPG
boat trailer 002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby hessmess » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:46 pm

DSUZU wrote:
hessmess wrote: But as an old Coastie I always like the white and red combo!

Dick, I didn't realize you were a "Coastie" (or I forgot :roll:) I work with a few Coasties - well, 1 of them retired. He went from a "boot" all the way up to a W-4 (Reserves). He spent a few years with part of his duty being in charge of security for the Shuttle launches. He too, likes to sail, and I plan to offer him the use of this boat any time he wants when it is all done. Dennis

Yeah I don't say to much about it. I was in from 75-80. I spent a couple of years on a cutter out of Seattle and then a couple of years on the Chesapeake Bay, station Annapolis and Taylors Island. It is amazing as I get older how I remember those times more and more. I also had 2 older brothers that were in and made it a career. My one brother made W-4 and stayed for 28 years. My other brother made E-7 and did his 20. I was on the E-6 list but decided it was time to get back to the high desert. It is kind of funny how many times I have moved since then chasing my career field. I retired from that one and now I drive semi's around Northern Nevada picking up scrap metal from the area mines. One more year and that is done as well.
I like your boat, but I couldn't rig a boat to save my a--. All the boats I played on were run on diesel. Don't think my brothers could of either!
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Typical "Dennisworld" project. Got back to it a bit this week. Put a few coats of clear on the last 2 pieces of woodwork (tiller and top of centerboard). Maybe 2-3 coats to do. BIGGIE: getting the boat into the water to measure and establish the waterline for bottom painting. First, I checked the local dock area out last weekend (about 2 miles from my house). Because of the weeds, I was concerned about gators if I had to get in the water to measure. Of course as I drove up, there was a small (maybe 3 footer) right next to the dock. Today (coldest day we've had yet :?) I hooked up and drug it over there. At the ramp, I loaded 300 lbs of ballast to simulate a load of passengers. Dropped the boat in and drug it over to the edge of the ramp (had rubber boots on). Got everything measured and marked and then learned lessons on loading it back onto the trailer :shock:. It seems I have A. 12" tires, B. spring over axle, C. boat sitting on cradle. All of this means I have to back WAY down the ramp to "float" the boat - as in rear bumper of my Baja in the water. Currently arranging to get a set of 8" tires to lower trailer (axle over spring would require moving fenders with 12" tires - this trailer was designed for 8" tires. I also want to be able to beach launch the boat so lower will be better.
This is the first time the boat has been in the water since 2006. It is also almost EXACTLY one year since I drug this wreck home, so all in all a good day. Realistically, other than hull painting, I could sail this thing next weekend - and I might!
in the water 001.JPG
in the water 002.JPG

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:55 pm

DSUZU wrote:This is the first time the boat has been in the water since 2006. It is also almost EXACTLY one year since I drug this wreck home, so all in all a good day.

It's great to see the boat back on the water, and I'm not gonna like, I would have liked to have seen the Baja in the water too! :wink:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Wow! been almost 11 months since any "progress" on this project :?. I mentioned it once before in this thread: "life goes on". Last progress was last November. From January to June, I was retired and SHOULD have had "all the time in the world", but that wasn't the case. My house needed much of my time and attention. My inlaws, who moved to the area full time, also need much time and attention. My job, which pays the bills, needs my time and attention. The boat project needs time and attention, but there wasn't any left over. I finally carved out room, and am back on it.
My last project was establishing and marking the waterline for doing a recoat of the hull for below the waterline. After flipping the boat over (easier said than done), I determined that it was going to be a LOT more work than originally considered. The original gelcoat had many spots where it had separated from the fiberglass base coat. Most were in the form of small cracks, but some had flaked off. To make things worse, the boat had previously been repainted and they used a bondo type filler over many areas. To do this right, I have to strip the bottom of the boat down to the base coat removing the paint, the filled areas, and the gelcoat. My friend on this is a (well a couple of) Harbor Freight 36 grit flap discs and my HF 4-1/2" angle grinder. Once stripped, I am running into mixed information on re-coating. Some sites say you can't put gelcoat over epoxy fiberglass, others say something about wax coatings. Barring new information, I lean towards re-coating with pigmented epoxy resin and if necessary, painting over that. Here's progress for this week (Sunday afternoon and Tuesday afternoon). Still plenty hot down here.
sanding 001.JPG
sanding 002.JPG
sanding 002.JPG
sanding 002.JPG
sanding 002.JPG

DAMN the changes to this site! I had no idea It copied the second picture several times.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:53 pm

DSUZU wrote:DAMN the changes to this site!

I feel ya... I spun my wheels trying to figure out how to get to followed threads, then again trying to figure out how to reply... ah well, the upgrade I suppose means the site has some life left so it's all good. :)

I'm glad you were able to loop back around to this project, it's a neat one! I also feel ya on the conflicting information, it's the blessing and curse of the Internet eh? You always have good instincts though, so I'd trust them... looking forward to seeing how things end up! :thumbup:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Previous