"Ford"

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

"Ford"

Postby DSUZU » Fri May 28, 2021 6:25 pm

I started this thread because a comment in another thread was about to grow into a hijack.
I never was a big Ford fan. Growing up, we always had Chevys. My dad had worked as a mechanic at the local Chevy dealer before becoming a Police Officer in 1948, I guess it was set then. Growing up, I remember that my Chevelles could easily be swapped around 6 to V-8, automatic to manual etc. and driveshafts and crossmembers stayed the same. This wasn't the case helping my Ford buddies with their cars. As a professional (occupational) mechanic, I hated that Ford trucks had so many pieces to the crossmembers and their choosing a mixture of metric and US fasteners (I did a LOT of clutches back in the day). Then there issues with earlier Ford electronics and parts issues. I was even "Ford certified" in several areas back in the 90s because of the amount of Ford vehicles we had at the City.
The current situations:
Ford situation #1. I had mentioned the difficulty in getting a door for our 2019 Transit Connect minivan that had been hit in a parking lot. I mentioned how Ford wouldn't sell any of their existing doors to an independent body shop because they were reserved for Ford DEALER body shops. I've made a few connections over the years (I have "people" :D). I reached out to one of them and he said "Let me look into that". Some strings were pulled, wheels were greased and today I was told they could sell ME a door, but it had to be shipped from wherever it was stocked, and there would be extra charges and because it would be independently shipped, FORD couldn't guarantee or be responsible for the condition on arrival. (I.E. it would be mine, no returns). I did find out that my local dealer MIGHT have one in stock July 6th. I'll wait.
Ford situation #2. I have this F350 in my fleet. IIRC, this particular one is a 2009. It has about 46K miles on it (our city / island is only 4 miles long). Last year it was about 3400.00 for all the catalytic converters and O2 sensors to be replaced. I'll give them that because we're so geographically small and our vehicles are the worst for stop and go start and stop operation. Our operators also idle a LOT, this is a necessary evil because the A/C in their trucks is the only relief from the heat they work in all day.
This year, the truck started a new issue: The A/C would start short cycling. When doing this, the back up lights would flash on and off. I took a brief look at it, but had many other projects going on, so I shipped it over to my local independent garage (outsourced it). THEY checked it out (last September), and said it was a problem with the body control computer (I do remember having a lot of Crown Vic BCM issues - this never enamored me to Ford either, 250.00 for a BCM instead of 7.00 for a flasher). I didn't remember BCMs having anything to do with the A/C system. The computer wasn't available (October - November - December - we had been using it as-is during this time). In January, I sent it to a local Ford dealer (maybe THEY can get a computer?) I trusted them :oops:. Somewhere over $5,000.00, a period of 5 weeks, with at least a 3 week stay, by THEIR diagnosis, an A/C compressor, condenser, all kinds of "repaired ground", "repaired connection", yada, yada. And the truck is still the same. The final verdict: "your truck needs a new wiring harness and they are no longer available" (BTW: I went over the harness, I really don't see any damage OR repairs). My people have been using the truck since February as-is and they have named it "Christine" (for those who saw the movie). I tried taking another look at it, but every time I started, they need it again, so I don't get far. An email of concern sent to the dealer's "Customer Service Rep" was only forwarded to the service manager (already on my speed dial) and the Service Writer (ditto). They both did a song and dance "your business is so important" (another truck, a 2019, taken in Monday of this week for a sensor MIGHT be ready next Tuesday :roll:
Yesterday, I took Christine to Walker Ford in Clearwater, Florida. I was told that they were about a week behind, but one of the truck crew is off next week so we will get by. I get a call today that almost ALL the problems go back to a ground circuit in the ECM, and there is ONE ECM sitting on a shelf "somewhere" and with my approval, they will get it coming. REALLY? Do it. I assured this service writer that if this works, he will be getting all my future Ford business (my bosses concur). Kind of a rant, some is Ford's product fault, some is the dealership's service fault. Still, I will stick with my little Subarus and could possibly have another Isuzu someday. I told my wife that while those "big Ford trucks" look cool, the only way I'd have one is if we won the lottery and if it ever needed anything I'd say "come get it and fix it and send me the bill". Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 975 times

Sponsor

Re: "Ford"

Postby Skeletor » Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 pm

christ, what drama...clearly, FORD isn't the company that I used to remember when I was growing up..as my old man was a FORD man, and my uncle loved GM..hence me surfing both sides...of course I was a Corvair fan, and later on Vega, and eventually FIERO...but the problem being, these companies are disconnected from reality, somewhat...and their cars, are meant not to last...It's a no brainer why GM went belly up around 2009-2010, and killed off Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Hummer, etc...crappy cars, suck @#$ dealer network, and out of control spending...hopefully, you'll resolve your issues with the idiots at FORD...
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 am

my old job...boss has a 2009 f350.... constant ''trailer sway control'' problems.....even when there was no trailer attached. went back to the dealership many times (warranty) and they re-flashed it, up dated programming, changed modules, wiring harness, steering column, you name it. the problem could not be resolved, i even dug at it a bit, went thru the wiring schematics and followed that....the trailer sway control is tied in to almost everything in the truck, from the door ajar sensors, seat belt sensors, occupancy sensors, to name a few....
way too many variables for me to deal with...the old boss just got used to driving it with the message on the dash, and the signal lamps not working properly...he gave up on the dealership, and so did i.

personal truck, had issues with the a/c....was told to take it to ford for diagnostic scanning on the hvac module...i pulled the codes myself, let them know what i found (they didnt like that ) then they proceeded to tell me the truck NEEDED a compressor, receiver/drier , flush /evac/ recharge....i just had the a/c recharged at a private shop, it was good .....i didnt get the ''ford'' repair, and the a/c lasted years until the #5 injector loaded the cylinder and bent a rod....

have fun!!!
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby itsmehb » Sat May 29, 2021 2:49 pm

Wow, Dennis, so many people aren't informed and learn the hard way. First ford engine I overhauled was a 1959 332. This was a curser to the big block, expanding to a 352, then a 390.Parts are not the same like the small block chevy stuff. One thing I do remember was the weight of the intake. I could hardly lift it. Bought a 66 Mustang with a spun main bearing. It had the 289, and found an early 302 so bought it thinking easy swap, they can't be that much different. First had to put the 289 oil pan on as the 302 pan wouldn't clear the steering rods. OK, so it fit, but wait, now how do I check the oil. The 302 pan had a stick. the 289 pan didn't. the oil stick was in the front of the engine, so had to change out some more stuff to get that resolved. You can be pretty sure if you have a chevy small block that aside from 2 and 4 bolt mains they are all pretty much identical. Your job must be a total headache some days dealing with the fleet your responsible for. I've yet to see there new Bronco, except for pictures. Must have priced it out of the ball park.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 320 times

Postby gwana66 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:17 pm

My dad was a diehard GM guy when I was a kid. 1966 Pontiac Catalina 4-door hardtop ("It's not a sedan, dammit!") Then he found a deal on a '73 LTD with a 400 and I started to learn new swear words. First the clock on the dash stopped working. About a year in, the muffler fell off. One cold morning, it decided to strip all the teeth off the nylon timing gear on a cold start. The Lord's Name was taken in vain multiple times. I got to hold the g**d*** flashlight while he crawled under it in the frozen driveway to drop the pan and put a timing chain in the "P.O.S.", chain smoking the whole time. Next the rear quarters rotted out, and it started to bubble under the vinyl top. Never a Ford, Never Again.

So he traded it in on a '79 Caprice Classic with a woefully underpowered 305 and the wrong (from the factory) transmission. To save costs, they threw in the TH250, which would happily eat itself as soon as you spun a tire or put 5 people in the car. That trans was rebuilt six times, until he finally got GM to put a TH350 in it (with him paying for the labor). Then he passed, my sister got the car, and it was wrecked.

I'm not sure one is 'better' than the other. They just suck in different areas. The '90s were pitiful for both. Now everything is just built to the lowest standard that will make it through the 3/36 warranty. Ford still can't seem to make a reliable transmission, and Chevy comes with factory rust and bad fuel pumps. They even managed to screw up their V-8 with cylinder deactivation. Fuel consumption is zero when it sits in the dealer lot waiting for a long block.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2002 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 269 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:07 pm

Agreed Gwanna. A few years back, after my daughter totaled our Rodeo, I started looking for a car for the wife / daughter. I had been leaning towards Chevy Impalas as we had several at work as Detective cars. When I looked up customer concerns, reviews, and problems on the web, stories of tranny failures, module failures, engine problems, etc. Well, I ended up with Subarus (had 6 of them now). It's not the American worker (they built some of our Subarus AND Rodeos), it's the COMPANIES and their design engineers :evil:
Now back to mu local Ford dealer. So I had our 2019 Transit Van (diesel) in there for a repeat problem with the check engine light. Took it in last Monday. Got called Friday that the part was in (really, FOUR DAYS?), we go to pick it up this morning and it's "ready", but it still needs another part :roll:. I told the service writer "You had it for a week and STILL need to order a part?" She assured me that we could take it, and bring it back and they will install the part while my operator waits (never mind the inconvenience of having to take it back).
As I told my boss: "the problem on the Titanic wasn't in the steering room, it wasn't in the engine room, it was on the bridge". Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby gwana66 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Well, the industry (and us, I suppose) have brought it on by shaving costs and maximizing profits, and consumers want a cheap car with all the features. Then the people we expect to fix them are no longer "mechanics", they are "technicians" who need to know networking, how to program and diagnose complex interconnected systems, and are also pressured to sell additional work to the customer. You know the 152-point check isn't because they care about ME, they want to find stuff to charge for. Then the dealership pays them 5 hours to do an 11 hour job. No wonder the quality isn't great.

Hell, I took my Honda to the dealer for a simple mechanical valve adjustment, and it took 3 trips, a loaner, 2 service writers and one service manager to finally get it right. Valves! .08 on the intake, .10 on the exhaust. I would have done it myself but all my tools were in storage at the time. First time I picked it up, it sounded like a diesel and had no power. Took it right back and the service advisor said it had to 'wear in'. Excuse me? How about no. Second time they took ALL the lash out and it ran like utter crap. Not sure how they even got it out of the bay. The service advisor got snotty with me, and I had to go all Karen and ask for the dealership manager, who got the service manager to listen to it. He agreed that the tech who did the work had no idea what he was doing and would need additional training. I did the clutch myself, because... just no. I had to take it in last month for an airbag recall (different dealer) and the only guy there who could drive stick was the lot porter.

Oh, and Ford just came out with a recall on the new F-150's - the steering box might just lock up while you're driving. Add that to blown turbos and that fun feature on the Explorer where a failed water pump dumps all the coolant in the oil pan. Makes the old blowing out spark plug issue look simple. Wanna make a Ford tech cringe? Tell him you've got a 3-valve 5.4 that's never had the spark plugs replaced and it also has a rattle.
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Postby itsmehb » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:50 am

As I told my boss: "the problem on the Titanic wasn't in the steering room, it wasn't in the engine room, it was on the bridge". Dennis

Dennis, love the analogy. Guess what drove me to finally buy foreign was it seemed no matter what American make (mostly fords and chevys) I had, they always seemed to leave me a little present on the driveway or garage floor. I guess they finally gave up on those old rope seals for the rear main. However, just a dig at Honda's. Have had several, brand new. Now my 2019 with less than 12,000 miles on it went to the dealers for an oil change. Had a good coupon. After doing there checks I was told there was a red (important) code. It said time to change the brake fluid. Now I know that over time it accumulates moisture, but at 2 years old and that low mileage. I said no thank you also to the alignment they said I needed also.
Last edited by itsmehb on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 320 times

Postby LaFlTx89 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:22 am

I thought auto companies had become completely stupid until I realized the people on “the bridge” are brilliant and I’m stupid. I’m kinda slow, but when I couldn’t get a cash discount on my last auto purchase, I finally realized that they are no longer selling automobiles. They are selling packaging for financing interest plus loads of dealer service. I now spend many hours each year thinking about how to keep my money out of their pockets. Which may explain why I have my ‘89 Isuzu in my driveway and you folks on my Ipad. (Who said this wasn’t an Isuzu thread? :D )
LaFlTx89
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby gwana66 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm

They are actually trying really hard to turn it into a subscription model. A monthly payment covers the car, service, and in some cases insurance as well. Then you never think about the actual total cost of ownership. Then some of the options like heated seats and infotainment can be a monthly 'extra'. Build the components into every car, just don't turn it on unless you pay.
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Postby giusedtobe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:24 am

Yeah I am not crazy about where car manufacturers are going. Cars are disposable now. They all look alike and most have zero character. Am I the only guy that hates the bumpers all being plastic covered and the same color as the car? They also all seem to be trying to go electric; I hope that doesn't happen until I am dead and gone.

Chevy Impala: I have one as a company car and its a good car BUT I change them in at 60K. Also their oil change interval is stupid 10K. Getting ready to get a Blazer and I saw an ad for new "Safety equipment". I am afraid I will not be happy with that. I loathe all that crap that tries to drive the car for you.

My wife has an Acura she likes to take to the dealer. They treat you right and wash the car blah blah but obviously their prices are high. Had this weird shudder on acceleration and they supposedly fixed it. Did the same thing pulling out of their lot. Turned around and went straight back and the service manager took a spin with me. He immediately knew what it was and had it fixed. I would consider working on it myself but frankly I have too much to do as it is. I pay for a lot of oil changes on wife's and kids cars too. Not the Trooper though!

Ford was my go to domestic but my experience with them other than one kids car was a 2007 expedition which I loved. Sold it at 165K and the thing ran and drove like new. Gave it away and still sick about it. The new Broncos I am sure are insanely expensive. Saw one of the little stupid looking ones on the road the other day. Have not seen the big one.

Have a great day gents.
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby Enemigo » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:53 pm

What's wrong with a 10k oil change? That's one of the things I love about my newer grand Caravan.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby gwana66 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:20 pm

Have you seen the internals of an engine with 10k intervals? BMW tried it and it totally killed timing chains, VANOS, and valve seals. GM extended their intervals and we end up with the 3.6 needing a $3400 timing job at 60,000 miles. Those same engines changed at 4-5K run well over 100K with no problems. With many engines today adding turbochargers and EGR coolers, even the best synthetic oils aren't always up to the task. 10k of highway miles I might consider. But stop and go, short trip, or any sort of towing? I'm not going over 5k even on full synthetic. The inside of my 2008 Honda with 180k on it is spotless. No varnish, no sludge. It's cheap insurance.

They extended the intervals because it makes the vehicle seem 'low maintenance'. Also, many people buy on a 2-3 year lease, with maintenance included. So when they turn it in with 36k on it and 3 oil changes, it still runs OK. Once it's in the used market, the manufacturer couldn't care less.
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Postby Enemigo » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:01 pm

I only have my own experience to go off of. I bought a used '11 Grand Caravan with 140k miles and was doing an oil change every month because my job required a lot of driving. Eventually I got lazy and didn't get to an oil change until something like 7,600 miles. Coming from owning Isuzus and high revving Acuras, I thought I had better check the oil and see how much had burned off. To my shock, not only was the oil level perfect, but it was still mostly golden in color. I couldn't believe it. From then on out I went to 10,000 mile oil changes. That van lasted until 240,000 miles when the transmission went out. I panicked and went and bought a '12 with only 65k miles instead of trying to fix the transmission. That '11 was getting a little tired compared to 100,000 miles before, but I always trusted the motor and drove it all over the country for work.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 pm

giusedtobe wrote:They also all seem to be trying to go electric;

Actually, electric isn't all that bad. This year, I put 2 Chevy Bolts into service. So far, all is well and the users are tickled with them. Considering our island (the City) is only 4 miles long, electric is probably BETTER for us. We're currently acquiring a Prius (IIRC), I know it is a Toyota, they sent me 4 bids to look over and recommend. I have a 2016 F-150 that is up for possible replacement due to rusty frame (this is on US because it was driven through "standing water". Out here, if there is standing water, it is SALT water. There is a hole the size of my fist in a very structural part of the frame. I have a bid of 14K plus for a frame replacement (it only has 36K miles), but they are balking at the price. I may have found a partial frame option, but still have figuring on that. The boss would like to do a Lightning for replacement, but there is a wait on those
Got my "Million Dollar Baby back from Walker Ford yesterday. 1200 and some change and they did an oil change too. I can't wait to write a letter for "termination of use" to AutoNation Ford.
I could see 7K, maybe up to 10K for an oil change with almost all highway miles. I mean if the oil is still clean and thick (well, thick for the 5W and 10W stuff we use now). I don't know about the Impala manuals, but most of the stuff I have and see has manuals that say "Severe duty use" and 3,000 to 3,500 intervals. Severe use is defined in ALL those manuals as "in town, constant stop and go and Taxi use". This defines most of my fleet use. Many drivers also idle their trucks a lot. Idle limiters are out as the A/C in their trucks is all the relief from the heat, and most of their work is outdoors
Here's a POSITIVE example of dealership service: A few years back, a single gal we know took her Saturn in for a bad battery, the dealership told her "It isn't covered under the warranty". When she said " Darn, I was just about to leave on vacation, there goes my vacation money", they came back, waived all charges and told her to have a nice vacation. That's the way to do it. I have a friend who used to own a used car lot back in the '80s. He would often have his lot man put in a new battery, starter, or alternator on cars he had sold if the buyer had trouble within a reasonable time (often up to about a year). Charlie's mantra was "My goal isn't that they buy the car from us. My goal is that they come back and buy their NEXT car from us". He's enjoying a successful retirement. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Enemigo » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:18 pm

People leaving their vehicles running drives me crazy. All the excuses are lame and false. "My computer is in there and it needs to stay cool." "It's a diesel bro." whatever. I'm out in the field with the same equipment as the guys I'm running into and don't need to leave my vehicle running for any reason. Mostly I'm talking about people leaving their vehicle's running while they are NOT inside. Just a personal pet peeve of mine.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby Enemigo » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Part of the electric thing is marketing. When Volvo says they are dumping ICE vehicles by 2030 or whatever, that gets them a front page headline. When they gradually walk that statement back over the next few years, that article (if one is even written) will appear on page 12 and most people won't even notice it. It's the same thing as the unemployment numbers that are reported by the government every month, and ALWAYS retracted and edited later, but no one ever sees those articles about the corrections.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:40 pm

The "running" thing used to bother me too. The old (mostly diesel folk) "start in in the morning, and shut it off at the end of the day" thing. However, I know the heat these guys have to work in (I work in it - they are SUPPOSED to put A/C in my shop this year), so I am sympathetic towards the practice. Now, they don't run them all day, but if they are working, the truck usually is running. If I catch them in the yard and upstairs eating lunch with the truck running, I usually shut it off.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Enemigo » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:59 pm

I do field property insurance, so the guys I run into are roofers or other adjusters who drive diesels and act like they are over the road truckers or cops. *cops leave their stuff running all the time. Also drives me crazy.

Side note, when people are in risky situations in movies, they ALWAYS shut the car off to allow for exciting plot development when they are inevitably running away and the car won't start in the next scene. Drives me just as crazy.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty