Mclaren

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Mclaren

Postby itsmehb » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:50 am

So we're driving along in the RS down main street in our town of Lewisville, and I see a sports car ahead in another lane. Now I pride myself on car identification, so I'm guessing what 's ahead. We hit a red light and we catch up and on the rear I see Mclaren. Now this ain't the land of fruit and nuts, and I've never seen a Mclaren before. Someone passing through. He looks over, smugly at our RS. I'm thinking, we got one almost as scarce as yours, and a lot of money left over! It happened so fast I didn't get a picture.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 307 times

Sponsor

Re: Mclaren

Postby Von » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:46 am

You lean out and holler "I've got a chain, let's pull 'em!" or "Dude! This side got keyed!"
2015 BMW 328i (The Mighty Wife's ride)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab (my fat car with a yuge trunk)
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (SOLD)
1968 Kaiser M715, Ford 390, T18, Dodge divorced NP205, stock Dana 60 and 70 axles, lockers front and rear.
Von
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby RickP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 am

You never know what they are thinking. They could be admiring the Trooper. One day when I lived in CO I was out driving an AMC Wagon I used to own with my middle stepson riding shotgun, a guy and what appeared to be his teenage son pulled up next to us at a red light in a convertible Porsche turbo and they were talking to each other while looking at the Eagle with weird grins on their face. The driver asked me to roll down the window. With this huge grin, he complimented the Eagle and said he used to own one of those and really miss it.
Another time I was in the Eagle in Huntsville, AL while working at a military base and a guy gets out of a newish Corvette and says, I really like your Eagle. I said, not as cool as your Vette. He replied, I hate that thing and should have never bought it.
RickP
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby DSUZU » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:37 am

If he was driving a Mclaren, he was probably looking at your RS and thinking "what the heck is that?". As I used to say when other (big bike) motorcyclists commented on my little 125 "sure we can race - right through the woods". To each his own. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 953 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 am

I’ve had that happen in the Trooper a bunch Harry, and always with positive comments. Best is when I go to one of the side x side vintage shooting events. Parking area is full of expensive SUV’s with all those nice things they put in them now. Of course I am the only Trooper there. Last year I had 3 guys who wanted to know if I wanted to sell it, and one serious offer from a guy who had driven one around Belieze for a few years when he was working there. Apparently the first gen Troopers bring back a lot of memories for a lot of folks. This year will be year 10 or so of driving my old Trooper all over, upstate NY and Georgetown NC are both on the list this summer, then hunting season which will add another 3 or 4 thousand miles. Simple fact is I’m more comfortable in the Trooper than anything else I own, not to mention the fact that it will easily accommodate all the crap I carry with me.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 202 times

Postby MaverickMX415 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:53 pm

HA! I wonder if its the same one I've seen on Main Street in Grapevine, what color was it?? You see lots of crazy expensive cars over there!
MaverickMX415
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Skeletor » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:05 pm

wmorrisiii wrote:I’ve had that happen in the Trooper a bunch Harry, and always with positive comments. Best is when I go to one of the side x side vintage shooting events. Parking area is full of expensive SUV’s with all those nice things they put in them now. Of course I am the only Trooper there. Last year I had 3 guys who wanted to know if I wanted to sell it, and one serious offer from a guy who had driven one around Belieze for a few years when he was working there. Apparently the first gen Troopers bring back a lot of memories for a lot of folks. This year will be year 10 or so of driving my old Trooper all over, upstate NY and Georgetown NC are both on the list this summer, then hunting season which will add another 3 or 4 thousand miles. Simple fact is I’m more comfortable in the Trooper than anything else I own, not to mention the fact that it will easily accommodate all the crap I carry with me.

had the same happen to me...several times over the years...I always get people asking about my Trooper, or asking if its for sale...sometimes, if it's parked, someone will leave a note on the windsheld...asking about it, etc...first gens are still well loved...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Shawn Anthony » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:02 am

If you ever make it to Reno area I can take you for a ride in the 570GT

Shawn Anthony
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 am

I guess this is an old thread but I used to be able to identify cars...........................not anymore. They all look the same. Was talking to someone the other day and mentioned "You remember back in the day when you could see a car coming down the road and instantly know the make and model?"

Those days are over. 90% of the cars on the road are station wagon grocery getters called "crossovers".

Thats why I like troopers and other old cars. They were built when cars had character and were actually distinct from other cars.
giusedtobe
Mud King

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby Enemigo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:52 pm

It's not that cats all look the same any more than they used to, you just don't care about cars as much to be up on all the latest models. I went through the same thing.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:11 pm

For my part, they all look the same. A few days ago, there was a shooting (murder) in my area. As luck would have it, around the same time I was driving down the main route in the area headed home. Suddenly, a white "crossover type" car came up behind me at a high rate of speed, passed me, and continued heading down the 2 lane road in the center turn lane passing everything at what I estimate to be around MPH. I was totally unaware of the shooting. The next day I put two and two together and figured I should call the Police (THAT'S another story). All I could say was "white crossover type vehicle - possibly a Buick"
This brings up another thing: Here in Florida, we now have about 100 different types of tags, ball teams, universities, wildlife, you name it. We used to have all tags with a number for the county, a letter for the vehicle type (D for compacts, - for sub compacts, W for heavier etc) and then about 5 numbers. You can't tell anything any more. (rant) Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 953 times

Postby Enemigo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:45 pm

RE: Plates, Colorado did something similar, where now there are zero restrictions for custom plates. You want a 10th Mountain Division plate, but you were never in the military and just like the design? Just pay the money and they give it to you. There is a homesteader type plate that I wanted and you had to be able to prove that your family owned land in the state for at least 100 years. By the time I qualified, anyone could just buy one so it lost all meaning.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm

Enemigo wrote:It's not that cats all look the same any more than they used to, you just don't care about cars as much to be up on all the latest models. I went through the same thing.

No, I still like cars......................they all look the same. I sell to the auto industry as well and frankly they are all bits and pieces from different manufacturers anyway.
giusedtobe
Mud King

Have thanks: 16 times