PlanetIsuzoo.com (Isuzu SUV Club)

Welcome to the Planetisuzoo Forums!
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:41 pm 
Trail Master

Put the tailgate back together and back on the truck. I think it turned out pretty well.

I bought some plastic bed rail caps for it. They're just sitting on it in the phots as its too hot to stick them down right now (its roughly 100F right now and just too hot for adhesive tape).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:19 pm 
Trail Master

Sprayed on a few coats of Duplicolor truck bed coating this afternoon. Half the damned state is on fire right now so I had to keep blowing ash off of it with compressed air while spraying. The orange hue these photos have is accurate.

Don't know how thrilled I am with this product. We'll see how it dries and how it holds up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:15 am 
I am the Stig

I have tried many of the spray on bedliner products. We used to use it a lot when fabricating stuff for City vehicles. I still do at my "new" job. Duplicolor USED to be a good one, then they changed it. Currently, I find the best (from a rattle can) to be RAPTOR. It sprays on good, has a nice texture, and seems to hold up better. Currently, I have been using it on channel aluminum that I use to make risers for light bar installations. My light dump trucks need something to raise the bar enough so that it is visible above the front of the bed. I also recently used a rattle can of Raptor to spray the roof rails on my Subaru Baja. (15.99 from Autozone). Very pleased with the results.
I had previously used Raptor from a can on the roof of my Spacecab (way back). In spraying, something went wrong and I ended up rolling it. It came out looking like I had coated the roof of my truck with cottage cheese (I used white). I had a heck of a time getting the stuff stripped off my roof. Dennis

1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:30 pm 
Trail Master

DSUZU wrote:
I have tried many of the spray on bedliner products. We used to use it a lot when fabricating stuff for City vehicles. I still do at my "new" job. Duplicolor USED to be a good one, then they changed it. Currently, I find the best (from a rattle can) to be RAPTOR. It sprays on good, has a nice texture, and seems to hold up better. Currently, I have been using it on channel aluminum that I use to make risers for light bar installations. My light dump trucks need something to raise the bar enough so that it is visible above the front of the bed. I also recently used a rattle can of Raptor to spray the roof rails on my Subaru Baja. (15.99 from Autozone). Very pleased with the results.
I had previously used Raptor from a can on the roof of my Spacecab (way back). In spraying, something went wrong and I ended up rolling it. It came out looking like I had coated the roof of my truck with cottage cheese (I used white). I had a heck of a time getting the stuff stripped off my roof. Dennis

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check it out. I need some more for the windshield reveal moldings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:18 pm 
Trail Master

I put the new bumper on today. It came pretty beat up and missing the hardware and half of the brackets so I ended up reconditioning my original brackets and hardware.

And then spraying the crap out of everything with Cosmoline once it was all bolted together.

Last edited by radare on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:12 am 
Trail Master

Now that I have the tail gate looking a bit better on the Dakota, I wanted something that would offer some protection, similar to what the bed liner does. Or, more accurately, hide the crappy bedliner I sprayed on the tail gate

I bought a Rugged Liner [DD97TG] tail gate liner for it on Amazon. There isn't a lot out there in the way of tailgate liners for the Dakota. Really, this is pretty much it.

Whoever made this liner gave no fucks. Not a one. None of the edges are straight, or the same shape. It looks like they were cut out using a bread knife. The holes are drilled, wherever. Some more than once. Putting it on the gate, the top channel that sits over the tailgate didn't fit over the tailgate. Not even close. The Dakota tailgate has a curvature to the top of it. The liner, does not.

Now having said all that, I figured, "let's see what I can do with it". I spent some time with a heat gun and re-shaped the top side of it. I then masked off the edges in straight lines and used a belt sander to square them up. It took some time but honestly, it cleaned up nicely.

It came with several self-drilling screws that hold it to the tailgate.

It also uses one of the bolts for the latch handle to help hold it in place.

I used the self-drilling screws on the inner holes but the outer ones were drilled all wonky and they were too big for these screws, so I used some of the self-drilling torx bolts I had leftover from the Audi.

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with it. I had to effectively finish the manufacturing process myself but that's fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:02 pm 
Trail Master

It's a Dodge 4x4 again.

Cut these out using my Cricut and some semi-matte black vinyl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:56 pm 
Trail Master

I had some conduit strut channel laying out behind the workshop that I'd been thinking about dragging off for scrap but then today I got an idea to use it to make a sort of modular tie-down system for the truck. I cut it down to 72 1/2" to fit the length of the bed rails and bolted it to the box in five or six places along its length. I then made some tie-downs to fit inside the channel. I cut some 1 1/2" stock to the right length and welded a captured nut to the backside of it. I then made a second piece and threaded in an eyelet. When the eyelet is tightened down, it creates a clamping force holding the tie-down firmly in position. This lets me move it anywhere I like along the length of the channel.

I made three tie-downs. I think I want to make three more. I need to go get some more eyelets.

This gives me somewhere to hook my tie-downs when, say, I make a cardboard run to the recycling center, for instance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

That is very similar to the Nissan Frontier utili track. I had it in my frontier and ended up making extra tie downs like yours. They have factory made ones that should work with this track as well, but I always feared they would be easily stolen.

Truck is looking great!

1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 4Runner Limited- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
2018 GMC Sierra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:35 pm 
Trail Master

I have reverse lights!

These haven’t worked since I’ve owned the truck. I did some testing a few days ago and found the switch was no longer working and also the connector and wiring to it were badly corroded.

I made a new connector and soldered it in, then replaced the switch. It took a lot longer than expected. The shift linkage and cooler line are both right in the way.

Now to figure out the cargo light.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6