How to Figure Out if a Car Auction Site Is Actually a Scam

Post any good deals you may come across here

Moderator: Staff

How to Figure Out if a Car Auction Site Is Actually a Scam

Postby NCEvets » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:08 pm

Steve
NC, USA
1987 Trooper II ::: 2.3l ::: carbureted ::: 4-door ::: MSG 5-speed trans. ::: A/C ::: manual everything [HALLELUJAH!]
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=133951
NCEvets
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Re: How to Figure Out if a Car Auction Site Is Actually a Sc

Postby DSUZU » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Bottom line: If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. I deal mainly with craigslist scams. Everything from the "free" whatever, to "people" selling the "2015 [email protected]". I don't respond to any of them. Free stuff, if it's an address within a few miles and JUST POSTED, maybe. Any other C/L ad, if there isn't a local phone number listed, don't bother. Even then, if it seems to good to be true, type the number into a search. Many scam numbers turn up that way. "Offer up" has gotten just as bad. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 977 times

Re: How to Figure Out if a Car Auction Site Is Actually a Sc

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:56 pm

DSUZU wrote:Bottom line: If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. I deal mainly with craigslist scams. Everything from the "free" whatever, to "people" selling the "2015 [email protected]". I don't respond to any of them. Free stuff, if it's an address within a few miles and JUST POSTED, maybe. Any other C/L ad, if there isn't a local phone number listed, don't bother. Even then, if it seems to good to be true, type the number into a search. Many scam numbers turn up that way. "Offer up" has gotten just as bad. Dennis

You'll notice on the Craigslist ads they embed the .gmail address text into pictures. That way the text recognition script at Craigslist can't pick it up. Sneaky Bass-Terds!

And keywords, don't get me started, that really yanks my chain! Posting keywords so you can artificially insert your POS DOdGe or whatever into my "Mach 1" search, gets you automatically FLAGGED!! :evil:

Offerup is at best mediocre, and the user interface is FAR from friendly. Fakebook Marketplace isn't much better, my searches bring up all sorts of gobbledygook totally unrelated to what I'm searching for. And recently all of my bookmarked searches got "blown out" and don't work anymore. Had to build some new ones, which actually do work.

Ok, end.of.rant! :drunken:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times