Isuzu SUV Forum banner

The heavy part of my job ....

211K views 1K replies 41 participants last post by  93trooperpooper 
#1 ·
Some of you know I'm a heavy construction mechanic... Well this is one of those days where you pucker !!

That's a 10' tube on that there wrench, the hydraulic cylinders have a huge gland nut put on to about 6-800 ftlbs of torque !!! In the past I have used a mini excavator to push on the wrench just to break that torque... One down and one more to go.. I think each cylinder rod weighs 150 plus lbs to uuuggg !!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Archimedes would be proud...

#3 ·

Lol thanks Swede..!! So funny the rest is relatively easy it's just that big ole nut.... And unfortunately the crowd cylinder is leaking out its gland to , and it's even bigger !!

#6 ·
6-800 ft lbs, 10' bar.. jeesh, I believe it. thats just insane!

#8 ·
Ruination said:
Oh, the things you have to do to Bust a nut sometimes... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: TOO FUNNY!!

#9 ·
sometimes a lil lube will do it

#14 ·
Don't ask me who put the sticker on backwards lol.... I think gremlins !! I've got a great big 3/4" impact gun that will pop semi truck lugs but this sucker just laughed at it..

#15 ·
Who do you guys use for seal kits? I would immagine the OEM HITACHI seal kits are wicked expensive.
We have for years used BAUM HYDRAULICS for hyd. seals. HUGE selection and an awesome low price.
Just a thought.
http://www.baumhydraulics.com/home.php? ... 13a43d3fff

Give 'Em a call and they will gladly send you the "Big Red Book" of seals.
Absolutly invaluable to have on hand.
Where I work, the problem became that may of the (MUCH SMALLER) hyd. cylinders we got in for repair had seal kits that were no longer avalable from the OEM supplyer. So I had to come up with SOME kind of way to rebuild them. (O-Rings & backup rings dont allways work / fit every cylinder. I needed SEALS for some goofy made cylinders)
COST was another big factor. Here in "Poor Farmer'ville" TN, these old guys running 6265 Deutz Allis tracotors were having heart falure over the factory power steering cylinder seal kit costing $159.00
I was able to order each individual seal & metric o-ring needed from BAUM for a fraction of the cost and can sell my own seal kit for them now for about $45.oo RETAIL! :wink:

#16 ·
Wow that's not bad at all !! The dealer wants proble $350-$450 per kit (rediculous) I have a wear house called seal source that I have a company get mine at for $120 each roughly.. It's crazy how a dealer will charge/markup prices on these simple kits...!! It's all hate and discontempt , when ever you talk about dealers, car, truck or machine... Now Jerry on the other hand is awesome and treats us right !!!
Ps us mechanics are professionals in bustin NUT's dontcha know :)

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
you need one of these really BAD BOYS

light duty 3,500 ft lb 1 1/2" drive, eats up 44CFM, on a 1/2" air line

when the tank runs out of air your glad it did because your arms feal like hamburger.

jet50002a.jpg

there right down the road from me....
http://www.vannattabros.com/shop.html

Attachments

#18 ·
I've got an older version of that for the truck lugs, in reality I think these nuts where on with a torque of 900-1200 ftlbs... It's always harder to break loose a torqued nut compared to retorqueing ... I had my body weight (175) on that bar and had to bounce to break it loose !!! I was more afraid of eating my teeth into the concrete !!

#19 ·

I'm having another one of those days haha !! Just pulled the pan on this dump truck for an inspection of fine metal... The cam has a bad spot !!! So the whole top end and front end has to get pulled to replace it... Good times !!

#20 ·
GOOD GOD!!! that thing is huge! :shock: I know how big motors can get but man, I've never actually seen the parts or anything to compare em with

#21 ·
I know they are fricken animals !! I've done two inframes in This sucker in the 20 years Ive been at this company... Poor girl gets worked hard... I'll post more pic's as I tear into it..

#22 ·
INTERESTING!
What engine is that? Displacement?
I would like to know (rough guess, dont have to be exact) what the camshaft in that BEAST weighs!!! :lol:

My guess is a 12.7L Detroit Diesel. But that is just a "shoot from the hip" guess.

#23 ·
Close !! It's a big cam 350 cummins... I will be pulling that massive camshaft out to replace it along with the rocker assembly's... I really thought it had a burnt piston , still a big job... Hoods off and rad is ready to be lifted off..

#25 ·
Lol We all work hard at what we do John... But that's fricken hilarious 8) !! Your bust your balls all the time ,hell you bust my balls...!!

#26 ·

Starting to get down to the covers on this beast ... The last pic is of the pushrods !!
It's one dirty greasy mess...!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.