New user here!

Use this forum to test posting messages and pictures before posting on the actual forum. If you are a new user, this is a great place to learn how to post

Moderator: Staff

New user here!

Postby manuperaza » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:37 pm

Hello everybody.
I'm new to the forum.
I'm from Costa Rica testing my first post. So glad to be here and really happy that this forum is not death yet.
I own a 2002 Rodeo Sport 2.2L AT 4dr 2WD

Looking forward to search and read the ton of info we luckily have here!
manuperaza
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: New user here!

Postby mudoilngears » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Welcome!
Nice to see someone else from Cost Rica here.
If you haven’t already done so, you need to replace the timing belt on your engine. It is prone to fail on that engine, and when it does, bad things happen.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 188 times

Postby manuperaza » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:51 am

Thanks mudoilngears!
I'm from Alajuela downtown. Where are you from? I usually go to Limon and San Carlos where most of my family is located.
I have always preferred 4x4 trucks... however the Rodeo used to belong to another family member and they had it for about 7 years until last year I bought it before they moved to the U.S
There's a lot of feelings when it comes to this rig and therefore I couldn't let him go.

We have done a lot of work to it... replaced head gasket once, a couple timing belt jobs and one emergency re-ring like a month ago because the engine was consuming a lot of oil (1 qt every 200 miles ).
I decided to continue with the 4-banger until I can afford a good V6 or diesel engine later.

I definitely want to go 4x4 however I'm still debating if doing a SAS conversion (i know is expensive and requires a lot of work) or go OEM 4x4. The problem I see about the OEM setup is the electronics conversion (ECU, harness, etc) since I understand the t-case does not have Neutral and it is supposed to be activated that way... I'm thinking on using an older Rodeo setup but the engine cause i don't like the previous V6 generation. I've seen some turbo manifold for the 2.6l...
long story short... I think is better to take it easy for now until i'm clear on that. Maybe a locker in the back while I'm 2WD ? (I have an Aussie part number)

What do you think?

I'm my own mechanic and this is my hobbie! Maybe we can meet later.

Pura vida!!
manuperaza
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:26 am

I’m close to the Venecia area. On your 4wd question. It’s not really that complicated, although if I were doing it, I’d probably use pre-1998 parts so that the system is full manual. And on the engine, yeah If you can afford another engine it would be more reliable. The ideal option would be a 2.8 diesel.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 188 times