Isuzu SUV Forum banner

98 rodeo horn button/pad replacement

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  robertgarven 
#1 ·
Alright so my factory horn button(or something in the steering wheel) is collapsed. What part(s) am I looking at? I have a parts truck of the same year with the airbags deployed. Will this affect what I need? TIA

#2 ·
When you push the horn "button" it grounds a wire that goes to the coil of the horn relay. The other side of the relay coil is connected to +12 Vdc via the fuse. The horn button switch is actually part the Inflator ("airbag"). The wires for the airbag and the horn are connected to the SRS coil which provides an electrical connection as the steering wheel is rotated. Disconnect the battery before removing the airbag, tear apart the donor vehicle first to see how it all fits together.

#4 ·
I ran into this problem before and taken the driver's airbag/horn center assembly apart. I found that the horn switch is just a paper thin pressure pad that gets flattened over time from age/wear and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately you can no longer get this horn switch pad (it's about $600).

You would have to replace the whole driver's airbag/horn switch center assembly with another used one, hopefully in better shape and not flattened like yours. Either from a junkyard or eBay. Note that 98-02 and 03-04 have different steering wheel designs and not the same.

Another cheaper way is you could also cut the horn switch wires and extend them to a separate stand alone switch on the dash or wherever you wanna put it. Just keep in mind it that takes getting used to not having your horn switch in the steering wheel anymore, especially in a panic situation.

#5 ·
All,

I explored every possibility.....

This is my daily driver so my mechanic ordered one still available from Japan. It was not cheap about 900$ installed but worth it for me!

Rob

Now I am trying to figure out how to get the rubber moulding off infant of my rear roof rack mount without destroying it to fix some rust there....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.