Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Trooper Gen2 (1998) Door hinge pins

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  hector87 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I have driver's door (left door...) with a hinge worn out, the lower one. Has anybody replaced the pin and brass bushings? Because I cannot get a OEM hinge for my own catalogue here in my country... neither the pins, but what I've been looking at in our "local ebay thing" are the pins for the Isuzu Pick-Up. Those pins have more or less 82mm long (~3 1/4") and a diameter of 8mm (~5/16"), according to a picture that the seller posted in the product advertisement. Has anybody coped with this kind of repair and know if this pins are going to be useful for replacing the factory ones? Would be nice to know before I purchase them....

Thank you very much!

#3 ·
Well, the pins just worked! It was not easy but they worked. Had to cut the OEM ones, because they were clinched on both ends, but once I got there it was not harsh. Did it with home tools, no need of a press (Had to be very careful though, not to deform the hinge). The nicest part is that I didn´t need to disassemble the front fender (I did this job on my previous vehicle, a '94 Nissan D21... and you had to remove the front fender to remove front hinges... it was a pin right there behind...). Ok So the steps were the following:

1- Remove A-Pillar inner cover, and disconnect 2 connectors (door connection). Then remove the grommet rubber from the outside of the A-Pillar, you should make sure the harness is going to run from through that hole.
2- Remove door check pin with a light hammer, from down to up, mind the paintjob right behind.
3- Mark with some permanent ink where the hinges match with the door...
4- Loosen all bolts (4) from the door, take out one by one, starting with the lowest one, leaving the uppest for last.
5- Grab the door, take care of it, while a friend helps you taking out the last bolt. You should take care of the harness not to get stuck on something, ask your friend to help you with that too...
6- Now you are free to remove the hinges from the body... Remember to mark with some permanent ink the matching of the hinges to the body, and remove them.
7- Once you have both assemblies out, you can work on replacing the pins...

Your vehicle is going to change completely (no more door noise, no more wind noise, etc.). Good luck!

#6 ·
I ordered a set of hinge pins from eBay. (4X DOOR HINGE PIN REPLACEMENT FOR ISUZU TFR TF MU RODEO PICKUP 1988 - 1995) It's not exactly the right hinge pin but with a little modification they worked fine. The pins are about .400" too long, and the bushing outer diameter were about .020" too large. A spin on the lathe and the bushings were a perfect press in fit.
My door no longer droops when I open it, and the wind noise at speed is gone.

#7 ·
Perfect, congrats! It is a pin in the *** but is a very cheap repair and the benefits are quite good. I sent my Trooper to the workshop for a complete paintjob so I had no opportunity the test if the wind noise of my door had went off, I'm pretty anxious to look at that. Glad my work helped…! Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.