1991 Isuzu Pup, 3rd times the charm?

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

1991 Isuzu Pup, 3rd times the charm?

Postby islandscrub » Mon May 03, 2021 3:32 am

Aloha!

This may or not be a build thread, but I have started a journey.

Back a couple of years ago, I bought a RED 1995 Pup (2.3L 4ZD1 iTec) from a kid who had just found out about an unexpected pregnancy, and he needed the money. I took pity on him and bought the ride despite its obvious 'project' nature, plus it had been in in a front end fender bender. I brought it home and the same weekend I brought it back down to a reasonable ride height. Kid had cranked the snot out of the torsion bars and jammed some real ugly 17" rims and tires on it. Don't know what he was trying to achieve because it is a 2wd. Either way I did some basic maintenance on it, changed all fluids, then got to ordering a new front bumper and driver side bracket because the originals were trashed. While I was waiting I did a little painting to cover up the hideous Maaco 'spray everything' red paint job. Yeah, it was gross. Sometime along the way I got new KYB gas adjust shocks all around and just started driving it.After a month or so I decided that not having power steering or A/C REALLY SUCKS, so I went on a hunt for another pup that was fully featured.
I found one about 3 months later, a GREEN 1994 Pup 4x4 (2.6L 4ZE1 iTec) that had all the creature comforts, power steering and ac, with a rebuilt engine! But the problem was it wasn't completed, and therefore not running. The initial price on it was outrageous (3k) so I kept my eye on it for a few weeks, lo and behold the thing dropped to about half off! Sent the guy a msg, took a look at it and decided I'd give him 1.8k just because the work on the block looked good. I had to pay $300 to get the thing home because it was on the other side of the island but eh, I was excited to get it going, so I did. It was a bit of a nightmare but man, did I learn a lot about these engines, super helpful that I have the service manual, obtained from the isuzu pup fb group. After a few weeks I decided to do something about the soft suspension and proceeded to move the KYB rear shocks from the now parked 95 pup, but discovered that this 4x4 has some serious frame rot near the rear leaf spring hangers. I looked around and read that this is a common death of pups, and I really didn't want to dive into frame work, so the hunt began anew, somewhat more casually this time around..
Roughly 5 months later an ad on fb popped up for a 1991 pup, grey (4ZD1 Carburetor) , that looks to have been lowered. I fell in love with those mini triangle windows and had to go check it out.The night I was supposed to meet with the guy he had told me that he couldn't get it running, and that maybe the alternator was dead. Knowing from these forums that these engines won't run without an alternator, I grabbed the new alternator I had laying around (I bought a new 60A for the 4x4 but sprung later on for a 160A one for ..reasons) and hit the road. When I laid eyes on it I could tell that it was well taken care of. This guy was the 2nd owner, and the only things he did to is was lower the back on 4" blocks and loosen the snot out of the torsion bars till it was level. No big deal, the rest of it looked fantastic, except for the paint. Apparently they had tried .. SOMETHING to cover up the spots that got white with age and messed it up. Maybe they didn't shake the spraypaint can, who knows? The paint smells funny too. I'll take care of it later. In any case, I used my tools to swap out the alternator and the thing fired right up, and sounded pretty mean, but that was because the guy had cut off the muffler, ok .. We drove around the block, I gave him 1.8k (yes again) and I was off to my stable of isuzu pups. After a few days I decided that THIS truck would be the one I frankenstein into my final pup with all the bells and whistles from the 4x4, 2.6L included.
So here we are. I've decided to strip the red truck of anything useful and toss it. While doing so I discovered the source of an annoying leak up front and found that the A pillar had a pretty significant cancer spot above the door and got into the windshield frame. I flaked off all the rust and ended up with an=bout a half fist sized hole in the roof shell, welp, good thing this truck is going away! A couple weeks ago I got the dashboard and all interior parts that are still decent out except the seat, which has a worn spot on the driver side. Today I pulled the trans and engine to hold onto for some reason, just in case I guess. I am thinking about keeping body parts but I dunno, I don't have a lot of space, any suggestions on what to keep? The bed on this truck is in pretty good shape, I also want to pull of the high mount tail light to throw on the 1991.
The ultimate goal is to get the 2.6 into the 1991, mated to the MSG trans with AC and Power steering, hopefully with a TURBO if Turbogemini.com responds to my emails. I am still on the fence about using the iTec or going Weber though, any convincing one way or the other is much appreciated!

IMG_0174xx.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Mahalo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Isuzu Pickup
4ZD1 2.3L EFI (iTec)

1994 Isuzu Pickup 4x4
4ZE1 2.6L EFI (iTec)
islandscrub
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 6 times

Sponsor

Re: 1991 Isuzu Pup, 3rd times the charm?

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon May 03, 2021 7:56 am

Is there a reason you're wanting to keep the MSG transmission? (I'm assuming it's just because you can't get a MUA.). A turbocharged 4ZE1 seems a little much for that transmission.

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 117 times

Postby islandscrub » Mon May 03, 2021 2:02 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:Is there a reason you're wanting to keep the MSG transmission? (I'm assuming it's just because you can't get a MUA.). A turbocharged 4ZE1 seems a little much for that transmission.

Jack

Jack,

Well yes, the MSG is all I have that's 2wd, not even sure what vehicle comes with the MUA 2wd. I wasn't planning on going to crazy with the turbo, just a little whoosh in the seat :lol: Again it's all up in the air, I might just be fine with the 2.6 by itself.
1995 Isuzu Pickup
4ZD1 2.3L EFI (iTec)

1994 Isuzu Pickup 4x4
4ZE1 2.6L EFI (iTec)
islandscrub
Mi Amigo

Postby islandscrub » Mon May 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Well this is interesting. Yesterday while pulling the engine out of the RED truck, I noticed there were no A.I.R ports on the head! Is this possibly an aftermarket replacement head?

IMG_0233.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Isuzu Pickup
4ZD1 2.3L EFI (iTec)

1994 Isuzu Pickup 4x4
4ZE1 2.6L EFI (iTec)
islandscrub
Mi Amigo