2.6 trooper high coolant pressure (solved)

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Re: 2.6 trooper high coolant pressure (solved)

Postby TroopDawg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:25 pm

The two hoses that blew were 12 years old and hadnt seen fluid since. Im calling that a coincidence.

It technically never overheated on the gauge.

When i rev the engine, the pump speeds up...
when this happens, the fluid takes the path of least resistance wich is usually through the radiator.

Since the radiator is clogged, its bypassing the rods and filling the expansion tank.

I know the water pump doesnt pressurize a system, but it will to a certain extent if one side is clogged. Especially if the pump is demanding more water return from higher engine speeds.

Also, it wasnt running for just a few minutes. It happens when i rev the engine or leave it idling for 20+ min. (With a slow and broken fan)

A mix of bad AND broken fan with a clogged radiator can definately cause the symptoms im having...

I also dont se the fluid being “sucked” down into the radiator, but i do see it pumping from the top.

In short, my radiator is filling up faster than it can expell water how it is supposed to
Last edited by TroopDawg on Sat May 01, 2021 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 8 times

Sponsor

Re: 2.6 trooper high coolant pressure

Postby TroopDawg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Im still going to test for exhaust gas and do a compression check. Im just waiting to see what the radiator shop says 2moro. Im also waiting on a new fan and clutch frim parts geek
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:32 pm

The clogs in the radiator rods hold a higher pressure than the rad cap does at this point! The coolant would rather flow out of the cap if it cant flow through rods.
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Best way i can describe the symptoms...

Use a 6x8” oil cooler for your coolant radiator with no fan lol!

Its equal to a clogged rad
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby mudoilngears » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Well, you seem to have mentally ruled out a lot of possibilities. Let us know what the issue was when you have it fixed.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 188 times

Postby TroopDawg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:19 pm

Definately will do, i have a few post of mine that i still ponder on and left open ended! a few i have figured out! I was going to complete them all once this thing is dialed in.

A clogged rad is so close to the symptoms of a head gasket. If i get a report back about my rad being in bad shape and a new one cures it... ill HAVE to let you guys know. If its this simple, there could be alot of labor hours saved on possible head gasket jobs for the rest of u lol
Last edited by TroopDawg on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Perfect link!

https://itstillruns.com/tell-radiator-c ... 95947.html

If the hose stiffens? Lol... i dont have any help to check if the hose stiffens while i rev... but id say the old hoses that popped were probably having this issue as well before splitting.

Sorry for so many post,, im just terying to keep info up to date as i learn it before i lose it lol

Oh and this might be important.

I havent got the timing and tps fully dialed in yet because the cooling issues... idle was favoring the high side becuse the sensor kept sensing cold coolant as i kept refilling it while the engine was warm... resulting in a false high idle condition.

With a bad rad and a bad fan... 14/1700 rpm for 20+ min at a time couldnt have halped much either.
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:36 pm

Ughh, another moment of realization, i finally looked at the back of my thermostat. Its a 195? From napa. Im sure a 195 is usually fine or good for winter... Im here in cali and its already 80 degrees out. Im sure a 20 degree difference in thermos isnt much on a vehicle with no issues, but with a clogged radiator and a broken fan, 20 degrees matters at idle while at temp!!! I thought this thing was opening a little late!! Ill look for a 175/180 thermo.
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 pm

New parts should be in 2moro, radiator suould be done as well. New lower hose, 180 thermo, another new cap, new fan blade and fan clutch.

Lets see if this cures the mystery.

I ran a rubber tube up the lower coolant pipe just to make sure nothing was stuck in it, poured water down the top coolant housing without the thermo in... water runs fine without overflowing.

I can also hear water “gurgling” as i spin the water pump. I used a magnet bit on a drill to spin it faster than i could by hand to see if maybe its slipping or hanging up in the housing... seems to be “gurgling” fine and spinning well.

its safe to say there isnt a restriction in the head, block, or pump passages
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Well since my radiator is out, i decided to double check the water pump by removing it.

Well i removed the pump. and though i cleaned and flushed the block the best i could, everyrhing water touched still turned orange.

I noticed 2 water lines on the water pump propellor that lined up with a water line on the block. I checked the pump off the trooper and it feels a little dry and unhappy. The wheephole looks like it was leaking but i cant tell much since it could be residue from the hoses blowing out, and i didnt give much time to make it worse.

I dont think my water pump is the main issue to my initial problem.... but its another sign and symptom of a clogged radiator.

Since the pump is off and experienced a bad time (sitting on my shelf for 6 dry months and running on a clogged radiator, im getting a new one today for the new radiator.

I my block looks bad lol, this thing sat in the rain with the hood ip for 12 years in a guys yard. Every cylindar had a rat nest in it lol!

Its a process but i believe its worth it! Dont ask me why, i just love troopers and hate to see them broke down. But troopers hate me, and love to break down!!

Here some pics

I plan on cleaning up the block where the water pump mounts. The casting seems a little thick in some areas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TroopDawg on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 pm

U can see in the pics that the head was and is passing water. But it was trickling in from the radiator. Fingers crossed
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:18 pm

Have you confirmed that the radiator was indeed clogged to any extent? I still do not believe that is the issue you are having.

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...

For this post the author mudoilngears was thanked by:
TroopDawg
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby TroopDawg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Radiator shop said it was pretty bad, ill have it back today. Its clear as day that the coolant hard pipe wasnt filling all the way. This would cause the pump to cavitate as well
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:54 pm

Is your assumption that the pump was creating pressure because the radiator was blocked?

Build in progress...

For this post the author mudoilngears was thanked by:
TroopDawg
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby TroopDawg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm

No, im assuming the pump wasnt creating enough pressure on the output side because water from the INPUT side wasnt sufficient. The lower hoses blew from age and temp pressure... not circulating pressure... coolant system pressure isnt created by the pump persay.. alot has to do with a “natural vac” of whats supposed to be a cold radiator drawing hot coolant from a hot engine.

But a pump being forced to drive by a belt in a closed system with one side having a clog, will put pressure on a pump and system... the pump can only push back so much before it cavitates or fails.
Last edited by TroopDawg on Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:02 pm

And if you look at the pics, the water line never even made it up to the bearing on the propeller. Im calling this pump toast and roasted lol
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby DSUZU » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:08 pm

TroopDawg wrote:Since the pump is off and experienced a bad time (sitting on my shelf for 6 dry months

While we're on this subject. Never a good idea to let a "used" water pump sit dry. Often seals dry out or rust can form on / in places it shouldn't. I made it a practice (especially in dealing with pumps costing several hundred dollars) that if something had to be torn down, I would "store" the water pump in a bucket or can of coolant. When doing my own head gasket on my 2.6 I kept the cooling jacket full of enough coolant to keep the pump submerged. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
TroopDawg
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 975 times

Postby TroopDawg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:58 pm

The pump was brand new!! But definately dry, it squeaks at a low speed in my hand, and has a little play compared to the new orielly pump. The pump that “failed” was like 30 bucks on partsgeek. Maybe it was a lemon off the shelf! But i like your procedure. The new pump i just picked up is sitting in coolant until i put it on
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby TroopDawg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:33 am

Update... so far so good

New pump pushes water well, radiator flows 100 times better, New cap is holding pressure and im using a box fan zip tied in front of the radiator for now in the driveway.. it temporary until the fan comes 2moro...

Ill put the thermo in 2moro. I havent done a exhaust gas test on the radiator yet (orielly only has the rental tool...if i ever use a tool, even once, i buy it.) So ill get one where its sold 2moro as well.

No coolant loss and no sweet smells from the exhaust, no coolant in oil and no oil in coolant.

Looks like i had a mix of bad things all together. Id say mainly it was a clogged radiator and an air pocket from hell wich lead to a shot watwr pump.

I got it timed dead on 12 degrees but it likes to idle around 12/1400... i still need to adjust the tps, but when i do... it messes with the timing.

It surges when i dump the throttle and sputters a bit on accel in neutral. no “terrible” backfiring.

02 light is on but the cadi is off at the moment.

Next ill worry about sealing up the cadi and exhaust... then ill worry about the tps using the traditional ohm meter check. After that ill check the timing again.

But at least its staying cool and not blowing out the top.

Hope this post helped someone somehow

I rebuilt my duramax engine and replaced the radiator becuase i HAD to (it was totaled)... now i know how important it is to include a radiator into a full engine build no matter what!!
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Tentin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:57 am

The O2 light on the dash is just an automated dummy light that goes off every 90k miles or so as a reminder to replace it. To reset it there's a screw you have to move on the back of the gauge cluster. If there's an actual problem with the O2 sensor readings it shows up as a check engine light.

Glad that things are looking better
1995 Isuzu Pickup 4WD aka Suzie Q. 3" lift, 32" A/T's
1998 Isuzu Amigo 4WD aka Smeagol The Amigo. 2" Lift, 31" A/T's

For this post the author Tentin was thanked by:
TroopDawg
Tentin
Rodeo King

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby TroopDawg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:17 am

Nice!!! Thanks for letting me know that! It would have stayed lit after putting the cadi on and i would have never known why lol!

No check engine light... Only while it stalls and surges after i dump the throttle... but the light goes away as soon as i start it up again.

Ill start a new thread when i finishing doing the things i listed above. If i cant get the idle and timing nice with a good accel, than ill be here asking more questions lol.

I seriously appreciate the people who read and/or reply to help!
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby giusedtobe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:49 am

Do you know how to get the code? Jumping the wires on the ECM? What ever flashed will be stored and you can see what is causing the issue.

Glad your radiator seemed to fix it. Mine was totaled sadly so I had to get a new one, about twice what you paid.

Post a pic or two

For this post the author giusedtobe was thanked by:
TroopDawg
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby TroopDawg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:19 am

I dont know how to read codes yet since im always dealing with mechanical part replacement instead of ecm. This is my first full engine build on a trooper, so im finding it to be necessary.

And the check engine light doesnt flash, it just lights up after the surge.

Im trying to find the “relearn procedure” now
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby giusedtobe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:56 pm

Its real easy. By your ECM there should be a couple of loose wires with opposite connectors on them. Connect them together then turn on the ignition. The CEL will flash a code. the first code just tells you its in test mode. Then it will start repeating any error codes. Takes a few minutes.

Manual has the codes. I can send a pic of the codes if you need it. Two flashes, pause, four flashes is code 2-4 for example.

For this post the author giusedtobe was thanked by:
TroopDawg
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby TroopDawg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 pm

I definately know about those two wires!!! I was wondering about them actually! Thank you! Ill give that a try!
TroopDawg
Has a Trail Truck

Previous