$1900 engine repair or crate engine?

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

$1900 engine repair or crate engine?

Postby Mi89Trooper » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:48 pm

So we bought an amazing 1989 Trooper a few weeks ago that is so nice we kind of want to keep it original. My hands are itching to soft-build one for off-road purposes though so I have been looking at other gen 1 Troopers for sale. I found one with an amazing body (that's what she said) and very good interior, but the owner says a spark plug broke off and the shop is saying it'll cost $1900 to do the repair. Apart from the fact that it makes you wonder if they can't use a tool like an easy out; if the repair would indeed cost $1900 would it be more worthwhile putting a crate engine in there? I saw there are some for $2000. Not being super mechanically inclined the info I am missing is how much it would be to remove the old engine and swap the crate engine in. Any thoughts?

Here is an image of the Trooper we bought a few weeks ago:

IMG_2494.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mi89Trooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: $1900 engine repair or crate engine?

Postby Tentin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 pm

I'd definitely try the easy out method first. I guess it depends how it broke though, because if debris fell into the engine that's a different story.
1995 Isuzu Pickup 4WD aka Suzie Q. 3" lift, 32" A/T's
1998 Isuzu Amigo 4WD aka Smeagol The Amigo. 2" Lift, 31" A/T's
Tentin
Rodeo King

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby mudoilngears » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Two grand for a broken spark plug is nonsense, assuming it is a 2.6. Try to get it for a good price, and take a try at removing it yourself. If you can't get it out pull the head and take it in to be removed.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 188 times

Postby DSUZU » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Mi89Trooper wrote: the owner says a spark plug broke off

the shop is saying it'll cost $1900 to do the repair.

Not being super mechanically inclined

A "broken off spark plug".- -Yeah, that could get ugly. Really, you'd have to see it. I mean, is it broken off at the threads? Down in the hole? Or, is the shop trying to screw somebody?
If it is "worst case scenario" and the threaded part is broken off in the head, chances are an easy out will not get it out (I like those kinds of challenges). In a case like a spark plug or a pipe fitting, often the extractor / easy out wants to expand the broken piece making the threads even tighter (there was a reason it broke off in the first place). Now one method I have used is to cut down a hack saw blade (length wise) to fit into the hole and make 3 or 4 relief cuts in the broken off part. I have successfully done this, multiple times down to 3/8 and 10 MM broken off bolts (mostly they were exhaust manifold bolts and the previous practice was pull the head and take it to a machine shop.
Another is to drill the center until only the threads are left (note that EITHER of these methods can damage the original threads if not done very carefully). If the threads get damaged, there are thread inserts available THAT DO WORK.
The 1900.00 price may be for removing and installing a new head. I've seen head replacement quotes that were about the same price - this is also an option
Things to consider:
Purchase price.
Existing engine / mileage. They often go 200K miles and more on the original bottom end, HOWEVER, one needs to check the crankshaft end play as one of the weak points in these are the crank thrust bearings. If the thrust bearing are bad (usually failed and laying in the bottom of the pan), the crank makes contact with the block and bearing cap and all 3 wear out - quickly. I have seen (bought and temporarily owned) where the engine runs quiet and good, but it isn't going to last very long. if thrust bearings are shot, the long block will be the choice to go with.
Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 974 times

Postby Mi89Trooper » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:27 pm

Lots of very good information! Thank you for taking the time to get into so much detail. The Trooper that is up for sale has around 175K on it. I'll weigh the pros and cons!
Mi89Trooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Shawn Anthony » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:45 am

Broken trooper for sale....where?
Shawn Anthony
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby giusedtobe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Mi89Trooper wrote:Lots of very good information! Thank you for taking the time to get into so much detail. The Trooper that is up for sale has around 175K on it. I'll weigh the pros and cons!

These vehicles are pretty simple. If its cheap, pick it up and do the work yourself. I took on a similar project with no rebuild experience and these guys talked me through it. Mine was a 2.6 with 177K on the mill. Usually listed as "blown head gasket, replace and good to go". Mine needed a rebuild. Good learning experience as you will want to tackle other jobs along the way anyway.

For this post the author giusedtobe was thanked by:
BoiseTrooper
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby BoiseTrooper » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 am

Nice looking rig.

I am just finishing up a crate engine installation. You might find some useful info in my thread about Project Thunderbolt.

Kind regards,
Curtis
BoiseTrooper
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 4 times