Spare parts for off-road adventures

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Spare parts for off-road adventures

Postby Enemigo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:55 am

I've got a Moab trip coming up in May. I have a '99 Trooper manual and will be among the least built rigs going. I'm a bit paranoid about breaking things and don't want to be that guy, that puts a damper on the trip because I broke something I couldn't replace and had to be towed out.

As of today, I've replaced all of the suspension front and rear. Basically all the bushings (steering include) except the sway bar bushings. I'm sitting on a pretty mild 2"-ish lift with the OME 2919s in the back with Skyjacker M95 shocks. I have the regular Skyjacker Nitrochargers up front. I lifted about 1.75" up front, flipped the ball joints, did a 1.5" diff drop, and upgraded the steering links to the DIY HD version with the F-150 ends and Sebring center. I've got the Superwinch manual hubs installed now, but I'll be trading them out for some factory Aisin hubs I picked up at the junk yard the other day and am rebuilding now. I only have the front factory skid plate that everyone has, and the transfer case skid plate. I have a Lokka up front and am running 285/70R 17s (33's). I have a 1" body lift, and if it matters, I'm running the *Axiom wheels with 1.5" spacers.

I'm pretty concerned I'll break a front axle. I'm hoping the diff drop, low lift, and 3.07:1 low gears will help, but I'm not counting on it.
I'm in the process of building sliders. Possibly I'll have a winch bumper built before I go, but that's up in the air. I was looking at other places I could build skid plates for while I'm under there, but that's not at the top of the list at the moment.

Right now, I have one spare CV axle, and will probably get a second one before the trip. My idea is to go to the junk yard and pull some spares that I can bring to make sure I can get home.
I'm thinking about trailing arms (I already have a bent one from the last time I wheeled), drive shafts, maybe steering links (if I threw away my last old ones), and maybe some rear axle shafts. I'm going to dig into the manual when I have time to learn how to remove the rear axle shafts, as that's something I've never done before. Is it straight forward? Is that a trail side repair, or does the third member need to be removed first?

What are the weak points on this vehicle that are most likely to cause me an issue? I know the CVs and the steering links, but what else? I appreciate any help and tips in advance.

Feel free to make this an all Isuzu model discussion, but please remember to include what model and generation your referring to if it model specific.

*the 1.5" spacers make it so both versions of the Axiom wheels will fit over the front hubs. There is just enough taper in the hub that the spacer allows clearance. I was going to have the wheel machined, but I'm not going to bother now. The only issue now is that the wheel wont fit on the spare tire carrier because of that lip, but I could probably clearance the plastic hanger.

Here is the Axiom wheel without the lip that fits over the hubs.

Here is the Axiom wheel with the lip that needs the spacers to fit over the front hubs.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 32 times

Sponsor

Re: Spare parts for off-road adventures

Postby SRN » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am

Your Trooper is more built than mine and I've been to Moab many times and only broken an axle once at Tip Over Challenge on Hell's Revenge, and that was due to taking a bad line and bouncing. As long as you live by the mantra of slow and steady, you'll be fine. Remember, speed and wheelspin are your enemy when in Moab.
What trails are you running?

As for spares in Moab, I keep some U-Joints in my tool bag and thats about it. You're so close to town there that usually you can get back and get parts in town (or Grand Junction in a pinch). If you're worried about the CV's, bring a spare for that but it'd be a bugger pulling an axle on the trail. When I broke mine (and I blew up the AISIN hub, not the CV) I just drove out on 3-wheel drive and pulled the axle in town. I once had a clutch failure in my Samurai on Kane Creek. That was interesting, but got back to town and replaced that in the hotel parking lot. Had a timing belt break on Lockhart Basin, got towed back into town and replaced that in the Parts Plus parking lot. Rebuilt an exhaust in the Super 8 parking lot. Done a lot of random repairs in Moab parking lots, now that I think about it! :D
SRN
Trail Master

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby Enemigo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:58 am

I'm not sure which trails. We went two years ago and I brought my Amigo with the idea that I would leave it in camp and ride with a buddy each day. On the last night I was driving my Amigo around and broke it IN CAMP! Not a small break either. I punched a hole in the little trans pan on the 4L30E. Doh. All that to say I'm not that familiar with the trails, but I'll ask.

Fortunately my friends have been going every year for at least a decade and are pretty familiar with Moab. I'm the newest addition.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby Enemigo » Tue May 04, 2021 12:20 pm

The time is getting near, I'd really like a little more input from the wheelers on here please. What are the weak points that I should be prepared for? It's been suggested that after the CVS, the next weak point might be U-joints, or even the front diff, but that is just general off-road wisdom and not Isuzu specific. For example, Toyota factory U-joints are known to be very strong to the point that most Toyota guys don't even worry about them. Is it the same for Isuzu? Please speak up if you have an opinion. What about all you guys that just went to Uwharrie? What should I bring?

ETA: Right now I think I'll see if I can find my factory tie rods, get new U-joints and use my old ones a spares, bring my better Superwinch manual hubs as a spare to the Aisins I just rebuilt, and maybe even buy a second spare CV. I'll probably bring some basic wiring stuff, some radiator hose spares, and purchase some new vacuum tube to have on hand. I should probably invest in new vacuum tube soon anyway.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:16 pm

I think you have a good list. Pretty much about what I bring - spare hoses & clamps, fluids, belts, a hub and tools to change anything else that may go wrong (pry bar, mini sledge, electric impact, gaffer tape, bailing wire, hub/cv/u-joint specific tools). If the rear shafts are the same length, you could get away with only one.
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby Enemigo » Tue May 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Has anyone ever broken a rear shaft or front diff? Anyone broken a rear diff?!
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:59 am

I haven't, but I've heard of folks breaking rear shafts, albeit rarely. If it fits and isn't a lot of extra hassle, it's probably nice to have the insurance.
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby Enemigo » Wed May 05, 2021 10:14 am

Agreed. I have the sliders half done, but won't have time to build a winch bumper. I'll try and modify the ill fitting skid plate I have to cover the exhaust cross pipe.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty