4ZE1 timing belt replacement

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

4ZE1 timing belt replacement

Postby djangofly » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm

I have found tons of discussion on the subject and come to the conclusion that I need to replace mine in the near future after pulling the upper cover and seeing good rubber on the belt, but some minor gouges on the outer edge where it looks like it walked a bit and contacted the cover or something else.

I have watched the Youtube videos and read what I can find on here about replacement, but haven't found a good "sticky" or tutorial on the subject. If there is one, can someone please direct me to it?

If not, is everyone just using the FSM? I can't find a copy of the FSM for reasonable money on eBay so if anyone could direct me to a good source, website, etc. for replacing the timing belt, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Dan
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 4ZE1 timing belt replacement

Postby DSUZU » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Most of us consider it a "no brainer", but to someone who has never done one... First big challenge is removing the Harmonic balancer from the crank (15/16 socket IIRC). The trick is to use a breaker bar, support it or bungee it (or however works for you) to the PASSENGER side of the frame and on the balancer bolt. Now bump the starter a couple of times (might want to pull the coil wire). After the bolt, the balancer SHOULD slide or wiggle off. You DON'T want to use a puller on the outside of the balancer. If it has to be pulled, remove the front pulleys and get a puller that will match up to the pulley bolt holes
After balancer, the rest is downhill the timing cover, MAKE CAREFUL NOTE OF HOW CRANK SPROCKET COMES OFF. (many have reinstalled the crank sprocket backwards, there is also a stepped washer, if sprocket and washer are put on wrong - backwards - you can break something. I always advise replacing the water pump because you'll be right in there. The idler pulley for the timing belt is a good idea too. I recommend GATES or DAYCO for belts. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
islandscrub
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 975 times

Postby djangofly » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:46 pm

Thanks for the pointers, Dennis. I am probably overthinking it, but adjusting the valves took like 3-4 hours due to the time spent removing hoses, etc. I just want to make sure that I am as informed as possible going in so that this doesn't become a marathon weekend or weeks long project.

In any event, it sounds like the radiator needs to come out, belts and hoses, etc. Then the harmonic dampener comes off. Then I should have access, right? As long as I don't screw up the alignment of the cam and crank or reinstall anything backwards, I shouldn't have any issues, correct?

I will definitely make sure I have a 15/16 socket and a balancer puller on hand before I begin.

Any recommendation on brands for the water pump or just whatever Rock Auto sells?

Let me know if I am missing anything.

Thanks!

Dan

PS Post valve adjustment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvyquD9_eI8

Does this sound right?
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby DSUZU » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:15 am

I've never removed a radiator to do an Isuzu timing belt. Fan and shroud yes, but not radiator. You may have to remove the rock guard under the radiator and a small sheet metal shield if they are installed. Aisin water pump is the best choice. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby itsmehb » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:50 am

DSUZU wrote:Most of us consider it a "no brainer", but to someone who has never done one... First big challenge is removing the Harmonic balancer from the crank (15/16 socket IIRC). The trick is to use a breaker bar, support it or bungee it (or however works for you) to the PASSENGER side of the frame and on the balancer bolt. Now bump the starter a couple of times (might want to pull the coil wire). After the bolt, the balancer SHOULD slide or wiggle off. You DON'T want to use a puller on the outside of the balancer. If it has to be pulled, remove the front pulleys and get a puller that will match up to the pulley bolt holes
After balancer, the rest is downhill the timing cover, MAKE CAREFUL NOTE OF HOW CRANK SPROCKET COMES OFF. (many have reinstalled the crank sprocket backwards, there is also a stepped washer, if sprocket and washer are put on wrong - backwards - you can break something. I always advise replacing the water pump because you'll be right in there. The idler pulley for the timing belt is a good idea too. I recommend GATES or DAYCO for belts. Dennis

Sometimes a picture helps. This is what Dennis means on the crank bolt. A 24mm or 15/16th socket with long breaker bar under the frame on the passenger side, with a ty-wrap around the breaker bar, then just a short tap of the starter switch and it will break the bolt loose. Not necessary, but provides more room if radiator is removed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles

itsmehb was thanked by:
dankly1DSUZUislandscrub
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 320 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks Harry. A picture is worth a thousand words. Dennis
EDIT: This just came to mind. Back in the day, a former member, Squatch (passed away and dearly missed) had a complete thread on this. Photobucket took possession of most or all of his many pictures and the threads are probably now deeply buried on here somewhere.
SECOND EDIT: https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=60015

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby djangofly » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks, guys. This is very helpful. I will order the parts and post an update when I have the engine torn down and am at wit's end with some small bolt, or hose.

One more question actually: Do I just not touch the cam and crank to maintain alignment or do I rotate the assembly (with or without belt) align them with the marks on the engine?
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby itsmehb » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:55 pm

One more question actually: Do I just not touch the cam and crank to maintain alignment or do I rotate the assembly (with or without belt) align them with the marks on the engine?

I've found it helpful to just set the engine to No. 4 to TDC on the compression stroke before I even start. The timing belt is for valve timing. So too set the engine at TDC for number 4, have the tranny in neutral so you can move the engine. Get a 24mm or 15/16 socket and ratchet. Place the socket on the crank bolt on the front of the engine. With the upper timing cover removed turn the engine clockwise till the upper cam gear mark lines up with the stationary mark on the engine. When you have this accomplished, look down at your timing mark and see if the mark on the damper lines up with the zero mark on the timing scale. Note that if your damper has shifted or slipped as most have this may not be right on, but should be close. This would be where your on TDC, compression stroke for No. 4. If the lower marks are nowhere in sight than you are on TDC for number 1 and you will have to rotate the engine till the upper cam gear makes one revolution and check it again. You will want to install the timing belt with both of these marks lined up. Since you are not removing the head, the distributor will still be set to fire the No. 4 plug so your ignition timing should not have to be touched. Note, not necessary, but removing the plugs makes for easier engine rotation.
1991 Pick up (long gone)

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

itsmehb
I am the Stig

Postby djangofly » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:41 pm

itsmehb, I like that plan, thanks for the advice. I will avoid pulling the plugs again if at all possible. Pulling the stuff to get to them added about an hour to my valve job last time.

Although, this may be a good time to start installing the box of water and air hoses I just purchased from Jerry.

Dan
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby batman » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:03 am

Batman here. I would like to add that replacing the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals are a good idea too while everything is apart. The front crankshaft seal rides on the snout of the harmonic balancer. Check the snout for a groove worn into it by the crank seal. If there's a groove the new seal will likely leak. You can use a felpro repair sleeve part # 16220 to cover the wear groove on the harmonic balancer snout. Properly installed with new seal, will not leak. If harmonic balancer snout is smooth with no groove just clean the snout with 0000 steel wool and wipe off and apply small amount of motor oil or assembly lube to snout. Once the camshaft seal is removed check the seal mating surface of the camshaft for a wear groove or roughness. I haven't found a wear groove in any 2.6l camshafts and used 000 steel wool, then oil or assembly lube on seal mating surface of camshaft. I've rebuild several 2.6l 4ZE1 engines and replaced many 2.6l timing belts and highly recommend replacing the seals & water pump. Also check the timing belt tensioner bearing for roughness or noise once off the engine. Replace bearing if it isn't smooth or quiet. These are interference engines and valves will hit pistons if belt breaks with engine running. After getting everything out of the way before removing any of the timing components align the bottom timing gear, it has a notch at 12:00 o'clock when gear keyway is at 12:00 o'clock also. There is an alignment mark on the aluminum crankshaft seal holder. Once this is aligned the top gear alignment notch should align with a mark on the upper timing cover. Loosen the tensioner bolt that's in an elongated slot in the tensioner assembly. Take a large screwdriver or prybar and pry against tensioner pulley to release tension on the timing belt. Keep tension on the prybar and retighten the bolt. You can now remove the belt and check tensioner pulley bearing. Best to google how to R&R timing belt for Isuzu 2.6l engine before you start.I will add that a couple of belts I've replaced the timing marks don't align exactly. It appeared to be half a tooth off. I this happens have bottom mark aligned correctly and set the top gear mark set to the left side of the top timing cover mark like 11:59 clock position. This will advance the valve timing and engine will run better than if you put top mark at 12:01 clock position. If you buy a brand name belt like gates or goodyear you probably won't have this problem. The times that I had this problem was with belts that came with rebuild parts kits made in China. There are several websites that will show pics and diagrams to help you. Good luck- Batman!

batman was thanked by:
crnybroislandscrub
batman
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby djangofly » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm

Batman, this is excellent, thank you!
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby batman » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:26 pm

You're welcome, I hope this helps- Batman!
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby djangofly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 pm

So this ended up being quite the project. I completed "phase one" today, which was getting everything off the front of the engine and getting to the timing belt.

The harmonic dampener was stuck so I had to make a second trip to Autozone for a puller. The first trip was to pick up some universal radiator hoses to replace the sticky and brittle ones that have clearly been on there for too long.

Because I had to use the harmonic dampener, the radiator had to come out. When re-installing the plastic drain petcock, the handle snapped off so I no longer have a petcock just a sealed threaded plug of sorts. Does anyone know what size that plug is or where I can get a replacement? Extraction suggestions for the "plug"?

Tip: If you need a harmonic dampener puller and you buy one from Autozone, plan on getting bolts separately. I had to make a trip to Lowe's for some 2.5 or 3 inch M6 bolts with M6 fender washers to use with the puller. I could not get three bolts to line up so I just ended up using two diametrically opposed bolts and it came off fine.

Second tip (and I was warned): Do not pry the dampener!!!! They are brittle and will chip as mine did. I was able to recover the chip and it is now being JB welded back in place. Not ideal, but it is going to have to work. Hoping to get all of this buttoned back up next weekend.

Dan
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby batman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 am

When working on 30+ year old vehicles anything can and will go wrong. Congratulations on getting it fixed!
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby djangofly » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Batman,

Ain't there yet - whole front of the motor is still torn down, but now I have to finish at least...I am not anticipating too many more issues, but will need a new petcock before putting the radiator back in.

Dan
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby batman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 pm

My petcock is plastic, you might be able to find one on eBay!
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby djangofly » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:44 pm

This worked brilliantly for the stuck, broken off petcock by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUdG3Zm_Ws

Basically, just torch a small screwdriver and burn it into the petcock. Once cooled, remove. Easy-peasy.
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby batman » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 am

There's always a way!
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby islandscrub » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:29 pm

This post is a gold vein of information!
1995 Isuzu Pickup
4ZD1 2.3L EFI (iTec)

1994 Isuzu Pickup 4x4
4ZE1 2.6L EFI (iTec)
islandscrub
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby djangofly » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:54 pm

Because I cracked the pulley on the harmonic balancer, I looked at a replacement online. When I looked at the replacement, I noticed that timing mark was aligned with the key and that mine was about 9:00 relative to the key (assuming the key was at 12:00). Since I chipped it anyway, I just went ahead and ordered. I have heard the rumors of the balancers slipping, but this is kind of absurd.

Old (timing mark at "9:00")

New (timing mark at "12:00")

Since the crank pulley did not seem to want to budge with hand pressure, I am holding off on replacing the crankshaft seal for the time being.

New water pump went in and looks fine. Torqued bolts to 18 pounds. Gasket was installed without any permatex or RTV, per instructions. Installed with new timing belt.

Timing marks all lined up perfectly with new (Gates or Dayco belt, can't remember now)

Before I button this thing up, am I missing anything?

Dan
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Postby itsmehb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:09 pm

I don't have a complete picture but this is the lower half, and yours looks complete to me. The important part of the lower crank gear is that it can be put on backwards, but yours looks correct to me and it agrees with mine. Hope some others chime in as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by itsmehb on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1991 Pick up (long gone)

itsmehb
I am the Stig

Postby DSUZU » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:33 pm

djangofly wrote: I have heard the rumors of the balancers slipping, but this is kind of absurd

Two of the main causes of balancer failure are fatigue from age and heat and overtightening the belts. Tight belts cause the rubber section to constantly flex, weaken, and fail.
I recommend painting a stripe from the center hole to the outer pulley. This will always be easily visible and any slippage will cause the stripe to be misaligned. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby islandscrub » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:16 pm

Reading this has got me worried about my 2.6 balancer now. I'll be pulling *the engine it soon but I might as well check *the balancer before I do so!
1995 Isuzu Pickup
4ZD1 2.3L EFI (iTec)

1994 Isuzu Pickup 4x4
4ZE1 2.6L EFI (iTec)
islandscrub
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby batman » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:18 pm

If it hasn't slipped then putting the stripe Dsuzu recommended would be a good idea. I'm going to check my balancer and mark it just in case.
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby djangofly » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:22 pm

Someone is going to need this part number for the radiator draincock at some point, so I am posting for posterity:

Item Specific
Remark : RADIATOR DRAIN COCK
Interchange Part Number : T2P-1242-ISU166
To Fit Make : ISUZU
primary_Color : WHITE
Brand : tkg_8130
Manufacturer Part Number : T2P-1242-ISU166
Material : PLASTIC
to_fit_Model : PICKUP / TFR / KBZ
Yearl : 1987-2001

In the meantime, I am going to try to find something local for a temporary fix. Need to confirm size first though.
djangofly
Drives on Dirt

Next