Front Washer Pump Short?

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Front Washer Pump Short?

Postby shawnbouge » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 pm

This has probably been covered. I am new here, I have spent a lot of time searching the internet and especially this forum. I have a 98 Rodeo. My front washer pump doesn't work. I have replaced it, but both pumps (old and new) worked when hooked directly to twelve volts (I tested both after assuming and replacing it). With a multi-meter, I found that both sides of that motor (black wire and blue/black stripe wire with two silver dots) are grounded. I have gone through the process of replacing the whole switch assembly too. No luck, same issue. When you pull the switch to make it squirt the windshield, the wipers would go but no squirt, no noise from pump anything... I went ahead and traced the blue black/stripe wire to the connector under the dash (from what I've read that should be the side that gets 12 volts, and should not be grounded, the black is supposed to be grounded). Made sure the short was on one side of the connector and not the other, yada yada, ran my own wire, just to test, haven't done anything permanent, but with that, neither the washer pump or the wipers go when I pull the switch. If I turn on just the wipers, they work fine, just now they dont come on when I attempt to use the washer fluid. I believe I missed something in tracing the wire and that may actually be where the short is. Or I am completely retarded and am doing things absolutely wrong. I did read a post about one side of the pump is connected to the wiper motor and the other side to the fuse block, which wouldn't make since with what I have read, but also, I am not sure they were speaking about the same year/model, etc. Thank you all, I have read through a lot of stuff on here that has been extremely helpful.
shawnbouge
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Front Washer Pump Short?

Postby shawnbouge » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:32 pm

Is it the alarm/relay module they speak of? My understanding is it has to be 98 as other years have a different module or I can take it out and attempt unsoldering relays and resoldering new ones in?
shawnbouge
Drives on Pavement

Postby mudoilngears » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm

shawnbouge wrote:Is it the alarm/relay module they speak of? My understanding is it has to be 98 as other years have a different module or I can take it out and attempt unsoldering relays and resoldering new ones in?

It's very likely the fault. If you PM me your email address I can send you the service manual so you can check diagrams.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby shawnbouge » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm

...stupid question, which one of these is the one? I can order one rather than try and repair it. But also with both of these unplugged there is still a short between the blue/black-line wire at the washer pump and ground
shawnbouge
Drives on Pavement

Postby shawnbouge » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Well it was supposed to upload an image one says alarm, and the other antitheft, the antitheft has one connector the alarm has two connectors
shawnbouge
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am

The same fuse that provides +12 Vdc the wiper motor also provides +12 Vdc for the washer motor.
When you close the washer switch on the combination switch arm the washer motor receives +12 Vdc. If the wire to washer motor is grounded the fuse would blow when you operate the switch.

The washer motor wire is also connected to the alarm and relay circuit board to activate the wiper when +12 is applied to the washer motor, does this work?
2002 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2dr 4x4 3.6L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 1276 times

Postby shawnbouge » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Buster28 wrote:The same fuse that provides +12 Vdc the wiper motor also provides +12 Vdc for the washer motor.
When you close the washer switch on the combination switch arm the washer motor receives +12 Vdc. If the wire to washer motor is grounded the fuse would blow when you operate the switch.

The washer motor wire is also connected to the alarm and relay circuit board to activate the wiper when +12 is applied to the washer motor, does this work?

Thank you for your reply. That is my understanding of it, which leaves me scratching my head. I don't know why the fuse would not blow, but both wires on the motor, the black on and the blue/black-line one are grounded. But that doesn't change with the switch harness unpluged and/or the alarm and relay circuit board unplugged. I feel like I am brain farting hard and need someone to tell me why I'm stupid real quick. The wipers do work, with normal operation and they work when the Squirter switch is pulled, but now noise from the motor and no power to the motor.
shawnbouge
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:21 pm

shawnbouge wrote: I don't know why the fuse would not blow, but both wires on the motor, the black on and the blue/black-line one are grounded. But that doesn't change with the switch harness unpluged and/or the alarm and relay circuit board unplugged.

The wire from the switch arm Washer Switch goes to the Washer Motor and to the Alarm and Relay panel. If the Wiper works when you operate the Washer Switch but the Washer Motor does not the Washer Motor is not connected to the Washer Switch. The wire cannot be grounded or the fuse will blow.

The wire from Washer Switch, the Alarm and Relay panel and Washer Motor should be connected together in a splice. This wire should have +12 Vdc on when the Washer Switch is operated.

Click on schematic to expand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2dr 4x4 3.6L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 1276 times

Postby shawnbouge » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Thank you, Im gonna tinker on it when I get done working today.
shawnbouge
Drives on Pavement