Bolting vs. Welding sliders

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Bolting vs. Welding sliders

Postby NAES » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Hey everyone. I did a search and didn't find the answer I was looking for. I will be making a set of sliders for my '90 in the not too distant future and had a questions about mounting them. Most everything I see and read is welded to the frame but I can also see how this could be an issue down the road either as my tastes change or I continue building my truck. I would hate to weld them up and then do a body lift later on, etc.

The idea of welding or bolting the sliders in seems like it would put a ton (literally) of torsional stress on the frame going over anything rocky and wasn't sure the frame could handle it without damage. Maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe not.

If you guys don't mind chiming in, I would appreciate any input before I go at it.

NAES
NAES
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Re: Bolting vs. Welding sliders

Postby mudoilngears » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:48 pm

NAES wrote:Hey everyone. I did a search and didn't find the answer I was looking for. I will be making a set of sliders for my '90 in the not too distant future and had a questions about mounting them. Most everything I see and read is welded to the frame but I can also see how this could be an issue down the road either as my tastes change or I continue building my truck. I would hate to weld them up and then do a body lift later on, etc.

The idea of welding or bolting the sliders in seems like it would put a ton (literally) of torsional stress on the frame going over anything rocky and wasn't sure the frame could handle it without damage. Maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe not.

If you guys don't mind chiming in, I would appreciate any input before I go at it.

NAES

I avoid welding on frames as much as possible. I would bolt them.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 188 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:44 am

NAES wrote:The idea of welding or bolting the sliders in seems like it would put a ton (literally) of torsional stress on the frame going over anything rocky and wasn't sure the frame could handle it without damage. Maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe not.

I've had welded sliders on my 1990 Trooper for years and done some pretty extensive off-road travel. While I can't say there has been zero impact to the frame, I can say that there has not been any noticeable damage... i.e: cracks, obvious warps, etc. As I'm sure you saw in your reading there is a lot of debate about weld vs. bolt on, in your case as you think your build might continue to evolve I can see the benefit in going the bolt on route.

Good luck!

Jonathan

p.s: oh, and post up a picture when you're done! :thumbup:
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 414 times

Postby paulevans76 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:49 am

Most will be welded on. You can always cut them off later if needed. A half decent design either way should add strength and structural rigidity to the frame.
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby Skeletor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:52 pm

paulevans76 wrote:Most will be welded on. You can always cut them off later if needed. A half decent design either way should add strength and structural rigidity to the frame.

do it both ways....bolt'em....and spot weld 'em in...
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby gruff54 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:17 am

The main disadvantage I see to welding would be if they needed to be removed for some reason. If bolting, a spacer may need to be used to prevent the frame from collapsing, though I suppose you could use a square u-bolt of some sort. If I were to install sliders, I think I would weld a 1/4" plate (the appx height of the frame and about that length) to the frame, then weld the sliders to that plate. The plate would spread the load over a larger area of the frame than just welding the slider directly to the frame. As far as removal, if I can weld 'em on I better be able to cut 'em off! :lol:

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 85 times

Postby Shawn Anthony » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:49 am

Weld...ALWAYS weld.

Bolted on sliders shift around, wallow out bolt holes, sheer off bolts and they can make seriously annoying creaking sounds.

ALWAYS weld with backing plates and double gussets. Weld at a minimum of 3 locations 4 is better. Welding one slider mount to the long forward body mount will provide lateral support and rigidity to the sliders. thus securing the forward and back movement in extreme heavy loads, which is very very important.
Shawn Anthony
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby Shawn Anthony » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:11 am

Shawn Anthony
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby Enemigo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:49 am

What a timely bump of this thread. I just started my slider build last night. I used to be in the bolt on camp, until I realize how much work it was going to be compared to just welding them on. I basically came to the conclusion to weld on plates, then gusset the top, if I can, and I'll have the opportunity to clean up the frame a little at the same time. The most difficult part will hopefully be relocating my vacuum accumulator.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby rogerryan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Skeletor wrote:
paulevans76 wrote:Most will be welded on. You can always cut them off later if needed. A half decent design either way should add strength and structural rigidity to the frame.

do it both ways....bolt'em....and spot weld 'em in...

But bolting is the easy way in front of welding
Last edited by rogerryan on Sat May 01, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogerryan
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Enemigo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:59 pm

I don't know. I can put in welds easier than drilling holes.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby gruff54 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:18 pm

Enemigo wrote:I don't know. I can put in welds easier than drilling holes.

Me, too. Main advantage to bolting is you could remove it easier than you could remove one that was welded on. Also, I like Shawn's suggestion to weld to the body mount for lateral support.

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 85 times

Postby Enemigo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:23 pm

None of my body mounts are oriented in a way where that would be easy. However, one of them is definitely bent. I'll have to knock it back out and gusset that mount. So, if you do weld to a mount, I'd consider welding a gusset across the opening as well. Make sure you can still access the mount bolt though.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty