Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Heater Core Questions

652 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Plata 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone. I've got a dilemma that maybe some of you have as well.
I've got a 1998 Rodeo, 3.2L with 230,000 miles. I'm getting ready to change the a/c evaporator coil and expansion valve. While I'm in there, I thought I would change out the heater core as well just for preventive maintenance (because I hear it's a real PITA to get to as is). I'd like to get a new heater core but cannot find one anywhere for this vehicle (original part # 8971655350; it's been discontinued). I found on Amazon a Spectrum heater core (# 99247) that supposedly fits in a 1998 Honda Passport (but according to Amazon does NOT fit my 1998 Rodeo). Despite what Amazon says, do you guys think this heater core would work in my Rodeo? I have not opened up my vehicle yet; I'm trying to get all my parts together first before starting the job. There's nothing wrong with the existing heater core, but it's over twenty years old, so it's probably about due. I'm obsessive about taking care of the cooling system, and I don't want to mess it up by installing the wrong heater core. What do you guys think? If you don't think this would work, does anyone know where I could find a new heater core that is made exactly for the 1998 Rodeo? And in general, do you HAVE TO use a heater core that is made SPECIFICALLY for your vehicle, or can you swap one out from another (like using a heater core in a Rodeo that was made for a Passport)? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay. Sounds good.
Also: What opinion do folks have (in general) about whether it's okay to use a heater core (or maybe some other component, possibly) that's made for one vehicle (like a Honda Passport) and use it in another vehicle (like a Rodeo)? The reason I ask is because in this era of Covid, with supply chains being interrupted and such a shortage of parts, it seems that we need to be creative and use whatever parts we have available, if possible. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Like Shawn said, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." Really.

I've followed this advice for decades on motorcycles and cars, and it has always paid off. The heater cores in most Japanese vehicles don't fail. European cars do so quite often ( I just replaced a very low mile 2000 Volvo heater core last month). I have Japanese vehicles with triple the mileage of that and older that are just fine.

Sure, hack in something if you want, but it's a fool's game as this is not a weak point on these vehicles.

Passport and Rodeo are the rebadged same thing. Same parts work.

#5 ·
Okay. I will take your advice and leave the heater core alone, and continue to be pro-active about taking care of the cooling system.
I appreciate the advice about heater cores in Japanese cars. I did not know that they usually hold up well. I remember one time having to change the heater core in my dad's Buick, and it was not fun. So I'm glad to hear that the Isuzu heater core is probably okay to leave alone.
Thanks again for your responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.