Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2001 Trooper A/C Issue

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Guitarbuilder 
#1 ·
Hi guys
My ac was working great until I replaced my transmission.
I have looked to see if I could find any unplugged wires under hood but can't find any.
I checked fuses and relays, I even bought a new relay and switched them out with no luck
Any ideas what I've done
Ty in advance

#2 ·
Does the compressor turn on when you push the button? From what I understand, the compressor won't turn on if the coolant level is too low. You could always put a meter on the valve to see what it reads as just a place to start.

My A/C doesn't work and I haven't gone down the rabbit hole enough to get it fixed yet, so that's all I know to get you started.

#3 ·
The compressor will not come on
Like I was saying the ac worked well before the transmission removal/install so I thought I may have unplugged something

What's the pressure supposed to be?
It might have leaked down sitting 2 months, I'll check it

Ty

#4 ·
This has always been my issue with the AC in my 2001 Trooper; leaking down and then pushing the AC button does nothing. I did a 75% refurb last summer. replaced everything except the compressor. Worked well. When I went to use it this summer, it didn't work so I got it recharged. Turned out the new evap core had a crack in it. So I replaced that and it's working well again.

The timing with your transmission repair might just be coincidental; these are old cars and things just break down at any moment. Case in point: I took my dash apart the other day to replace some bulbs. The next day, more bulbs went out, so out comes the dash again...

#6 ·
Yes, You probably have a SERIOUS leak. Anyone adding or recharging an R-134A system, here's my experience from a commercial, professional point of view: I always replace the Schrader valves when working on R134A systems. Almost every job I worked on had the fill / test ports leaking. A simple test, if the port is facing upward is put water in the valve hole. If it bubbles, it's leaking.
Because of my shop space and time, I am outsourcing most of my A/C work right now. When I send one out, I request that they replace the valves. Dennis

#7 ·
I need to fix the A/C on my work van and had the same experience where I added coolant, then it was gone by the next day. I have a whole A/C rated o-ring kit, but don't know where to start. It's there an easy home way to test for leaks (UV dye?) Or is it best to take to a place and have them find out what's wrong and then fix it myself?

#8 ·
Enemigo said:
I need to fix the A/C on my work van and had the same experience where I added coolant, then it was gone by the next day. I have a whole A/C rated o-ring kit, but don't know where to start. It's there an easy home way to test for leaks (UV dye?) Or is it best to take to a place and have them find out what's wrong and then fix it myself?
Personally, I use a sniffer. The guy at the little shop where I have a lot of work done, prefers dye. On VISUAL, look for any oily residue around all joints as the refrigerant oil often stains the leaky areas. With a sniffer, I usually like to do a check first thing in the morning BEFORE starting the vehicle or running the A/C. For the dye, you can get cheap kits on ebay with the special flashlight and yellow glasses. Most auto stores have cans with dye in them. Hard part with dye is when you have a leaky evaporator. Dennis

#10 ·
When I had low A/C refrigerant level, I brought it in to have it checked at a trusted shop. He captured the Freon, checked it for leaks, replaced the Schrader valves and filled it up. This was June 2020 @ $160.00.
A week later my power steering blew a gasket. it dumped it's contents all over the compressor. About the same time I noticed the A/C wasn't as cold. I figured the compressor was wasted and I wasn't ready to spend more money at the time. .
Today I found a 3 year old half can of arctic cold r134a in my garage. I filled the A/C to the green and removed the hose and I could hear the valve leaking. The low pressure valve was over a half a turn loose. I think the only thing holding any pressure in the system was the O-ring seal on the little green cap.
It works great now, blowing 53 degrees on a 4 hour drive into the mountains today.

I realize this doesn't help with your situation, but it's one place to look for leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.