Interior Floor upholstery of 92 Trooper...

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Interior Floor upholstery of 92 Trooper...

Postby buddy13 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:32 am

I have taken off the old worn out upholstery on the floor, kick plates, under seats, back, gearbox bell housing (inside).

It was a brown, resin like brittle material (like shiny plastic). It was very worn and torn off.

Now that I have the van being overhauled, I would like to upgrade this. I was thinking of leaving the floor as bare metal (just painted in matte black), but I think it would look more finished with proper upholstery.

I am thinking of going for new carpet upholstery. I would supply the old set to be used as template to an upholsterer. What do you think? The first picture is my van, the second and third are borrowed off the net for illustration purposes only.

ImageETI_2626 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

Imagetrooper interior by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

Imagetrooper-interior by etienne spiteri, on Flickr
buddy13
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Interior Floor upholstery of 92 Trooper...

Postby Shawn Anthony » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:51 am

This just couldn't be better timing. I am currently working on developing reupholstering kit for first gen troopers because there are none commercially available. This will include all burlap, padding and top foam along with new skins. After that I will be moving on to headliner and carpet.
Shawn Anthony
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 22 times

Re: Interior Floor upholstery of 92 Trooper...

Postby Swampgas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 am

I drove mine with a bare metal floor for a little while after the carpet got too nasty. It adds a lot of noise and heat to the cabin. I don't recommend it. I found a carpet kit online that was supposedly precut for the Trooper and went for the upgrade to the heavyweight material. It was cut oversized and was very stiff. After wrestling with it for too long I brought it to an auto upholstery shop and they installed it. Much better than bare metal. Unfortunately getting the stock color was not an option. Hopefully Shawn Anthony will come up with something.
'90 Trooper, 4ze1, manual, maroon, intermittent wiper mod.
Swampgas
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times