Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unsure if this is the forum for this, or if gatherings would be better..move it if necessary.

Not sure if many here know what the "Hole in the Rock" is....Anyway, it's a passage that Mormon pioneers made in order to continue their settlement in SE Utah. You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_in_the_Rock_(road)

[edit] not sure why, but the link won't work..it will give you a list of suggestions, use the one with the (road) to get the good pic of it) [/edit]

We have done the western side of the trail many years ago. It was nothing special, roughly 40 miles of dirt road(now paved I've heard) from Escalante, UT, then about 7 miles of 4wheel worthy road to where the actual Hole in the Rock is. You can see a picture from the top of Hole in the Rock on the Wiki page.

The portion of trail we did was the east side. The only portion of the trail we did this time was about 40 miles of trail. (40 in, and 40 back on the same road) We entered from the east just to the south of Hal's Crossing, UT, Then did 25 miles in to set up camp. Then did a 15 mile section in to the east side of Lake Powell (about 2 miles across the lake from the actual hole in the rock.) 15miles back, then back out the 25 miles.

Anyway, it started for me early Friday morning, travelling down to Bullfrog, UT (a marina on Lake Powell) Where I met up with Jeff, Brooke, Paula, and Paula's son Scott. They had headed down Thursday night and travelled through Capitol Reef national Park. Brooke and I are the 2 remaining Isuzu's that actually make it out with the Zutah group, but they are still all a bunch of great people. Anyway, I met the group at the Marina about 11:30, took the ferry across the lake to Hal's Crossing. After gassing up and getting the last supplies (ice and wood) we headed out. This trail is DESOLATE. There is NOTHING in the way of services for MILES. Even Bullfrog and Hal's Crossing don't have much other then supplies for boaters....no auto parts, nothing....so it's best to make sure you have a sound vehicle mechanically speaking, plenty of water, and good setup of supplies.

We hit the trail about 7 miles south of Hal's Crossing, the road goes off the highway right next to the airstrip. The trail isn't terribly rough, but it does require 4-low and airing down. We air downed and set out. We drove in 25 miles before finding a great alcove in the sandstone to set up camp. There are few "trees" Not much that grows over 3 ft out there...most bushes are only 12'' high, so there isn't much shade to be had. We found the best we could...which worked out pretty good, other then the setting sun was not blocked by anything...so we had sun until 10pm.

We set up camp and relaxed around the fire. Saturday morning we got up and made breakfast. Brooke's Trooper was having a caliper stick, so he decided to leave it behind and rode shotgun with me. We took off the 15miles to the western most part of the eastern trail. There is an obsticle called the "chute" it's similar to Hell's Gate in Moab, although not quite as narrow, but similar in steepness, although the pics do it no justice. The road is difficult. It is constant ledges and bumps....very little time to look at the scenery since you have to watch wheel placement a lot. At one point you end up on Grey Mesa, which is a good place to go into 2 high and make up some time. You also get to see just how desolate it is. You did get to overlook the San Juan River and what is called the great bend or something. After a few miles, you descend back down into the slickrock.

The rest of the trail is just as difficult. YOu finally stop at an overlook where you are 2miles or so away from the hole in the rock. We at lunch here, and then returned back to camp. This took us roughly 8 hours to travel the 30 miles roundtrip. We relaxed in the shade that we made off Brooke's Trooper and just bs'd.
the Hole in the Rock is the vertical line in the center of the picture. Remember, the lake wasn't there, so the cliff is almost 1000ft.

SUnday morning we got up, packed and headed back out. We caught the ferry at Hal's Crossing and drove home. There was no trail damage. Brooke's issue was ongoing from when he left home (Noticed it about 40miles away from home) Everyone made it home safe and it took us roughly from 8am until 6pm to make it home.

I was happy with the Rodeo's performance. The 2 Jeeps that we were with were Rubicons, and although I don't know if they did use their lockers, I never got hung up where they went, and just went along being open (minus the stock LSD in the rear). It was a nice trip..but HOT. I don't recommend it in the summer. The temp gauges on the Jeep's rearview mirror showed 135 at one point...granted that's skewed, but the temps were still in the 105-110 range.

Anyway, I don't have pics, so here is a link to Jeff's and Paula's facebook page where you can see them. Surprisingly my truck is in a lot of the pics...so that's cool.
Paula's,
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 0e7fe5001a

Jeff's
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 5570235598

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Great write up about what looked to be a really great time! Thanks for taking the time to share. I'm envious, you guys have a nice choice of playgrounds out there!

I like the cut down doors on the Rodeo, they look good like that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Awsome pics, got any video ? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DigitalDrifter said:
Awsome pics, got any video ? Thanks for sharing.
I didn't get any video, but one of the other guys did (Trooperian) I don't see that he's loaded them on youtube or facebook yet...hopefully he will soon, and I will post a link to it here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.