Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is technically my second Isuzu Trooper. About 2 months ago, I purchased a 93 Trooper S Automatic for $250. I managed to get it running and driving well, and began to modify it, adding Superwinch hubs and beginning to stockpile a load of parts for it.

Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago - although I salvaged it temporarily, I was not comfortable with the long term prospects of the 4L30 that was in my truck, and sold it.
That same evening, I drove 2 hours and purchased a 1994 Trooper S 5-Speed off of a Craigslist ad in New Orleans, LA.

This is the 2nd Trooper.

THUS BEGINS ZULANDR'S JOURNEY.

As it worked out, I was not able to have both Troopers together at the same time to exchange parts, so the new Trooper has some cosmetic issues that need tending to. Most notably rashed paint, and a busted out rear door window that someone did a good job of replacing with Lexan sheet.

As I mentioned, I had already begun amassing parts to put together a functional overland rig that would be acceptable as a travel vehicle and a daily driver (albeit with crap fuel economy.)

- I purchased a Yakima Megawarrior rack, and added the mid-basket extension. This should give me a basket with full coverage across the roof.
- Additionally, I purchased the Yakima Hi-Lift Jack Mount, Shovel Mount, and 4 Lighting Mount Brackets. (I will be running 7" KC HiLiTES across the front)
- I opted for the Surco Products TR100 roof mounting adapters and 53" roof rails.
- Went with a sPOD relay management system. I will be mounting the switchblock on the shifter surround between the shifter and the center console.
- On Facebook, I found a gentleman in Iceland who makes well-built rear door ladders for $150USD shipped to your door. I purchased one. (It is currently primered, I need to sand and spray black)
- I opted for a set of Falken Wildpeak ATW3 tires in 285/75/16, and painted a set of stock steel wheels.
- I will be rebuilding the front and rear suspension. I am completely replacing the front upper control arms, rebushing the front lower arms, new ball joints, sway bar end links with greaseable poly sway bushings. In addition, I decided on doing an Old Man Emu lift - using 929 Springs and Nitrocharger shocks.
- Adding a snorkel.

As you can see, the pile of stuff continues to grow -

The first real modification I've had time to do was the wheels and tires. I used Rustoleum Metallic Copper on the wheels with grey primer underneath. I had the wheels sandblasted prior to painting.
The Falkens were a bitch to mount to the wheels - my tire shop buddy said these steel wheels dont have much of a stepdown, so its tough to work the tire on. However, the tires/wheels alone did a number on improving the look of this rig!

Looking forward to doing more over the next few weeks!

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,384 Posts
Nice looking rig, and I like someone trying something other than black on wheels, right on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! I figured I'm gonna have enough black stuff on the truck, the wheels could be a good place to do something different.
Plus, the copper felt like it would match that Cranberry Mica paint.

The truck could use a respray, and that'll probably be last on the list. But seeing it with the wheels has convinced me to keep the same color.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I've run into a bit of an issue.

I'll tear it apart tonight, but - for the past week or so, I've heard noises consistent with worn out control arm bushings in the front end. A rattle basically, coming from both front wheel areas.
No biggie - I ordered control arms and bushings and was going to simply tackle that and sway bar bushings all at the same time.

However, I climbed underneath today to begin getting an idea of what was going to need doing, and to my chagrin - I grabbed the CV shafts, and they were flopping around in the wheel hubs!
I am guessing the C-Clip sheared apart and let the front axles flop around.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
It is a good thing you found that before you needed the 4WD, the clips might be floating around in the grease when you pull the hubs caps off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ended up swapping hubs last night - popped the autolockers off and the c-clip reminants fell on the ground! LOL

Put new Superwinches on last night. Managed to do this before there was too much carnage to the CV axle ends.
Then today I painted and installed my rear ladder rack.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 93 trooper s 5 speed. I love it! I also really like the color scheme you're going with! I have the arb front bumper and smittybuild xrc 9k winch, I really wish someone would come out with a rear bumber to match! For your roof rack, is it a bolt on or the clip on version that clips to the side of the roof? Is there a bolt on out there? I know there is a post on here somewhere where a guy made his own and it came out awesome.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a bunch!

I used the TR100 Trooper Rack adapter from Surco, which is the only company that makes a bracket to fit the factory boltholes. I also went with the Surco 53" crossbars to make life easier with using the Surco mounts.

https://i.imgur.com/2UoXlzQ.jpg

I ended up using a Yakima Megawarrior basket with TWO mid-section extensions. (I had planned on only using one, but when I went to install the Yakima retaining clamps, I did not have enough room - the crossbars ended up being nearly the length of the rack apart. The 2nd extension made life easier, and it doesn't look TOO awkward.)

So if you are looking for a rear bumper, Joe Darlington can custom manufacture a rear for you. If it were in my budget id do that, but I will probably just raptor line the rear bumper for looks, and go with a ARB front with a Bulldog winch.

This is how she looks after I installed the rack for my lunch break - I am going to install my black spline drive lugs before I leave work.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its a great ladder - a guy named Craig on Facebook makes them in Iceland for $150USD shipped to your door, but they come unfinished so you will need to paint it.

It hooks to the top of the door and hangs down. Then he uses 2 clamps at the bottom that are screwed in by brass allen-head bolts. It fits well.

It does not support me, but I am above 250lbs. I did not expect to hold me, but considering there isnt much space to work with, I was prepared for that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Added the Dorman textured door handles today.

Also found my front speakers are blown out, and I get the feeling that replacing the speakers is going to suck, since there is a molded recess the speakers sit in. Who makes 6.5's that fit there? Or do I need to step down to 6.25" speakers?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I suppose that shade will come in handy in Louisiana... I have an awning but generally only put it up if it looks like rain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.