Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This really sucks. I go to change the oil in my transmission-89 Amigo, 2WD, 4ZE1-and I find cracks radiating outwards through the threads in the filler hole. They don't appear to go all the way through to the inside, but it's so bad that some of the threads actually came out. Needless to say the plug can't be retightened. Is this a known issue with these castings? Could it be welded back up? I need suggestions BAD. I can't have this thing out of service.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Welcome to the ZUU.

One picture is worth a thousand yikes.

See if you can get a pic of the cracks.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I'd not be overly concerned since it's the fill hole. Years ago there used to be a rubber bung available to seal stripped drain plugs, kind of like a tire repair rubber plug. You pushed it in with an insertion tool, basically it stretched the plug and once inside the hole and the tool was removed the plug went back to it's original shape sealing the hole. Or, you might find a rubber plug similar to a boats drain plug that could be inserted and a bolt tightened or a lever flipped (depending on style) that expands until it seals the hole. Just suggestions as you mentioned you can't be without the vehicle. Sounds like maybe someone had a problem previously and threaded in a tapered pipe plug too tightly, just a guess.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
just JB weld the the crack then use red lok tite on the bolt and screw it in and tighten as tight as you can without stripping what ever thread that remains.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I had the same issue with the tranny that WAS in Blackie. I had a boat drain plug (the rubber one that you tighten and it expands to the size of the hole) You can buy them at Walmart or most hardware stores. It held fine un til I pulled the tranny out due to some bad bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for those great responses.

Med!c said:
just JB weld the the crack then use red lok tite on the bolt and screw it in and tighten as tight as you can without stripping what ever thread that remains.
I actually did do this last weekend and it's leaking like crazy now, although I'm not convinced it was coming from my plughole patch. I haven't been able to locate the source, and because it's been slung everywhere, oil drips off of every possible point, even from the frame parts under the doors. As best I can tell the transmission itself didn't drip while the truck was parked to give the weld time to cure. What are some other major leak points? There's the front & rear seals, the speedo cable, and...

I may go with a friction plug since it would be easier to tell if it's snug and give me some peace of mind.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
If it's slinging look to the rear main seal. It's an easy replacement.

No this is not a common problem with these castings. It's a common problem with Knotheads working on vehicles. Some monkeys out there who think they are good at working on cars can cross thread a fire hydrant cap 4 out of 5 times. A lot of them work at Jiffy Lube!I tighten the **** out of the drain and fill plugs and have never had a problem with one stripping or cracking. Might be best to just locate a junk yard tranny and swap it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm....if it were the rear seal, would that make the front and middle be drippy? It doesn't seem likely, but at this point, I really don't know.

When I took out the drain plug I found a rubber o-ring instead of a copper washer. Could that be a source of my leak?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts