Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 trooper 3.2 with 4l30e. Trans went out years ago and took it and rebuild kit to a reputable shop and they rebuilt it and could never get it to build pressure correctly so they gave up after $2500 or more. So I look on Craigslist and found a rebuilt transmission that a guy was going to use but motor blew. Had new seals everywhere so it did look like it was rebuilt and they guy had a nice shop. Put it in this weekend and it’s doing something I have never seen before. Goes in reverse strong no slipping. While in D it only moves slightly when revved way up. 3 nothing. 2 just like it should no slipping. L nothing. Switched the gear selector from old trans still the same. Winter mode has no effect. I’m lost. Couldn’t find anything like this on the site.

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
If the truck will move in Reverse but not in L (Manual 1st gear) the reaction drum brake band is not holding the reaction drum stationary. The brake band may be out of adjustment or burned up. Winter Mode is 3rd gear. To produce the 3rd gear ratio the 2nd and 3rd clutches are applied and the brake band is released. If there is no movement in Winter Mode there are more things wrong in the transmission than just the brake band.

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
If the 4 Pin connector is not plugged in the shift solenoids are disabled, that would cause the transmission to be in 4th gear as opposed to 1st gear in Drive and would also prevent Winter Mode from working. However, Reverse and L (Manual 1st) are selected without using the shift solenoids so there is still an issue with 1st gear when L is selected.

If you drive the truck with the 4 pin disconnected the expected result is L = 1st gear, 2 = 3rd gear, 3 = 4th gear and D = 4th gear.
Note that 2nd gear cannot be selected.

·
Super Moderator
1,460 Posts
I have a 2001 trooper 3.2 with 4l30e.
Just to do a baseline, is that true? Should be a 6VE1 engine I thought.

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
Would the brake band effect all forward gears? Want to know before I drop pan AGAIN
The brake band is only applied in 1st and 2nd gear.

The Reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear ratios are produced by the transmission planetary gear set. The transmission planetary gear set has 3 inputs; input sun gear, reaction drum sun gear and 2nd clutch ring gear.

To produce the 1st gear ratio the input sun gear is rotated and the reaction drum sun gear is held stationary. The 2nd clutch ring gear is free.

To produce the 2nd gear ratio the 2nd clutch ring gear is rotated and the reaction drum sun gear is held stationary. The input sun gear is free.

To produce the 3rd gear ratio the input sun gear is rotated and the 2nd clutch ring gear is rotated. The reaction drum sun gear is free.

4th gear ("Overdrive") is produced by shifting the overdrive section from a 1:1 ratio to a 0.723:1 ratio with the transmission planetary producing the 3rd gear ratio (1:1).

The reaction drum sun gear is attached to the reaction drum. The brake band holds the reaction drum stationary when applied, therefore, the reaction drum sun gear is stationary when the brake band is applied. If the brake band does not apply or slips there is no 1st gear or 2nd gear because the reaction drum sun gear is not held stationary.

The image is the planetary gear set with attached 4WD tail-shaft

Office supplies Writing implement Pen Auto part Bullet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. 2nd seems fine so that eliminates the brake band. What would you check first with the symptoms I described above? Does it sound like it’s more something in the valve body? Don’t want to drop trans again. I will probably sell it before that. Only got 118,000

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
If you don't have 1st gear how did you get the truck moving and get up to speed for the transmission to shift into 2nd gear. There is no shift mode that allows for a 2nd gear start?

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
If the truck is stationary the PCM configures the shift solenoids for 1st gear operation, if the Range Mode Switch (RMS) is in D or 3 or 2.
The transmission cannot be configured for a 2nd gear start.
The transmission can be configured for a 3rd gear start with D and Winter Mode selected.
For 1st gear the A shift solenoid is de-energized and B shift solenoid is energized.
If the B shift solenoid is inoperative the transmission is configured for 4th gear.
L (Manual 1st gear) does not use the shift solenoids.
If the truck won't move in L the brake band is slipping or not applied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts