Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick up a Trooper this morning about 150 miles away. All seemed to be going well, I got the Trooper picked up and headed home. Then the Trooper I'm driving starts crapping out on me... (about 100 miles from home). So a little roadside dicking around and I figure out my fuel pump is crapping out on me. I push my luck since I'm literally in the middle of nowhere and press on. Nursed it into town where it finally quit. So, I thought "Ok, this is going to suck *** but I'll just drop the tank in the Trooper I just bought and put that fuel pump in"... not exactly how I wanted to spend my afternoon in 100 degree heat, but oh well, you do what you gotta do. So I drop the tank in this Trooper that's been sitting for 7 years (with a full tank of.... Well I guess it was gas) So now I'm covered in the stinkiest nastiest gas you've ever smelled and when I plug the fuel pump in and test it, it's no good... So, plan B: I call the parts store that's only a 3 mile walk, I was sure they wouldn't have the fuel pump in stock, but I called anyway... Wow, I'm in luck, they actually have one. So now I get to walk in the 100 degree hot blazing sun to get my new fuel pump and then walk back.... yep, that's right, covered head to toe in dirt, grease, and most disgustingly the nasty gas.... So then I get to drop my tank, which I literally filled up at the station as I got on the interstate, just before I started having problems. I was hoping that I'd burned enough that I wouldn't have to spill it all over the place and get it all over me, but, you have to remember... this is not my day. So I dropped the tank, spilled out a couple gallons all over the ground where I'm laying to work on this thing.... Um, well, I think that's where it finally got better... I installed the new pump, lifted the 100 pound gas tank back into place, and then drove off into the sunset with no lights on the trailered Trooper. Got home just after 10, and the wife is absolutely in love with my new cologne.... Time for a beer.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I believe you need more than a beer my friend.

Congrats on getting you and the rigs home safe.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
"Then the Trooper I'm driving starts crapping out on me..." Most people's story would have ended right there with, "...then I called AAA"

Good work.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
CatFuzz said:
"Then the Trooper I'm driving starts crapping out on me..." Most people's story would have ended right there with, "...then I called AAA"

Good work.
and thats where my story would have begun :p

I know the stinky gas part all to well.
Good work though, if I lived close enough drinks would be on me. 8)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
That Beer had better be cold and have a sammich as well. :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I also know all too well, that stinky gas smell.

I spilled a half tank out of an old datsun pickup one time.

Apparently had been sitting for more than 5 years.

I kid you not, you could still SMELL it for another four years, where it spilled. And that is with all the rain we get here.

Good luck getting rid of the smell. :wink:

And well done. Bad day, but you didn't let it beat you !!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It can be worse than skunk at times... I am dropping the fuel tank from my donor soon, and am not looking forward to it.

cheers
-Ian

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ian, theres a drain plug right in the center. Get yourself a few 5 gallon buckets and you'll be fine. Unfortunately I didn't have that luxury.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
********** said:
Ian, theres a drain plug right in the center. Get yourself a few 5 gallon buckets and you'll be fine. Unfortunately I didn't have that luxury.
:lol: would have given anything to know that when I was pulling the tank in the White truck in Golden Colorado... I had just filled the tank maybe 20 miles out when the pump failed :shock: The Advanced Auto Parts manager went home for me to get his 10 Ton Jack... I would have been screwed. He got a $100 Lowes gift card for Christmas and a picture of the dogs.

Thanks
cheers

-Ian

·
Registered
166 Posts
that sounds like a hell of an afternoon.. . sounds like you needed to open a new bottle of captain and get a name brand coke out of the fridge. :D

dunlap

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sounds like it wasn't your best day. Hope the rest of the weekend goes better for you.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Good thing you don't smoke.

You at least knew what it was and fixed it yourself, that says a lot. Congrats on your new Trooper!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.