Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a 1998 Amigo with 2.2L X22SE inline four cylinder engine.
It's a 5 speed manual 2WD version. We had a low mileage junkyard engine
installed about a year ago after the first engine expired at 120K miles.
This one is making what appears to be a rod knock (gets quieter when the
plug wire is removed). I live 400 miles from her but am considering towing
the car back here (St. Louis, MO) to remove and replace the engine.
I don't want to gamble on another junkyard engine so am considering:

1. installing a rebuilt longblock from someplace like japanengine.com
2. having it rebuilt locally
3. doing the rebuild myself, using a local machine shop

I've rebuilt pushrod V8's before but, before I make any decisions, I'd like
to see what's involved in rebuilding an X22SE, including any special tools
or procedures. I tried searching for a factory repair manual but all I get
are links to PDF downloads which appear to be some third party manuals. Any
idea where I can get the real deal or if the aftermarket (Chilton, Haynes
or other) are any good? If I knew a rebuilt longblock was done properly,
I'd go that way. Anyone used a place like japanengines? If I go with one
of the machine shops I trust locally, it will likely add at least a month
to the process as this is the busy season for preparing race engines.

Thanks,
Dan Jones

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
THE 2.2 L X22SE section in the Haynes book is 16 pages, the 2.2 L X22SE section in my 99 FSM is 536 pages. The Haynes covers the basics, the FSM covers it all. Can't say if the Haynes is adequate for your needs but it is a pretty basic 2 cam engine using direct attack inverted bucket tappets with automatic hydraulic lash adjustment. It is a Daewoo manufactured engine and is used in other vehicles. A quick search shows parts are easily obtainable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it sounds like it's the factory manual for me. Do you know who published the FSM (or where I can find one)? Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this link that claims to offer the Isuzu factory manual for download.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/ ... -1998-2003

Anyone know if it is the the real deal?

Thanks,
Dan Jones

The short-wheelbase (three-door) version was sold as the Isuzu MU and Honda Jazz in Japan, with the names Isuzu Amigo and later Isuzu Rodeo Sport used in the United States. Throughout continental Europe, the three-door was called Opel Frontera Sport, with the Vauxhall Frontera Sport title used in the United Kingdom, and Holden Frontera Sport in Australasia.

This is the COMPLETE official full factory service repair manual from ISUZU for the AMIGO. Production model years 1998 1999 200 2001 2002 2003. All styles covered. Hundreds of pages allow you to print it out in its entirety or just the pages you need!!

These manuals are your number one source for repair and service information. They are specifically written for the do-it-yourselfer as well as the experienced mechanic. Using this repair manual is an inexpensive way to keep your vehicle working properly. Each manual provides step-by-step instructions based on the complete disassembly of the machine. It is this level of detail, along with hundreds of photos and illustrations, that guide the reader through each service and repair procedure.

* General Information
* Engine Mechanical
* Engine Lubrication System
* Engine Cooling System
* Engine Control System
* Fuel System
* Exhaust System
* Starting System
* Accelerator Control System
* Clutch
* Transaxle & Transmission
* Driveline
* Front Axle
* Rear Axle
* Front Suspension
* Rear Suspension
* Road Wheels & Tires
* Brake System
* Parking Brake System
* Brake Control System
* Steering System
* Steering Control System
* Seat Belt
* SRS Airbag
* SRS Airbag Control System
* Ventilation System
* Heater & Air Conditioning System
* Heater & Air Conditioning Control System
* Interior
* Instrument Panel
* Seat
* Automatic Drive Positioner
* Door & Lock
* Security Control System
* Glass & Window System
* Power Window Control System
* Roof
* Exterior
* Body Repair
* Mirrors
* Exterior Lighting System
* Interior Lighting System
* Wiper & Washer
* Defogger
* Horn
* Power Outlet
* Body Control System
* LAN System
* Power Control System
* Charging System
* Power Supply, Ground & Circuit Elements
* Meter, Warning Lamp & Indicator
* Warning Chime System
* Audio, Visual & Navigation System
* Cruise Control System
* Maintenance

Complete download comes in pdf format which can work under all PC based windows operating system and Mac also. It saves to your hard-drive and can be burned to CD-ROM. All pages are printable. No need to pay for shipping and wait for the overpriced paper textbook or CD-ROM to arrive via snail mail.

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
A "real" 1998 Isusu service manual is available in CD format from :
http://www.helminc.com/

The cost is $100, the $20 download may be as good and has to be better than the Haynes book.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut the oil filter apart and found copper bearing material so it looks like I will be doing a rebuild. I'm ordering the Helms manual today. Thanks, Dan Jones

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Helms CD is ordered and should be here in a day or two. Reading up a bit on the X22SE, I've seen some people claim it is the same as a GM Vortec 4 cylinder and others claim it is a Daewoo engine. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
Dan Jones

·
Registered
423 Posts
It is a POS Daewoo motor, it is for a small light car not a 3500 plus pound SUV. I had a 02 rodeo sport with that motor and could not get rid of it fast enough. Those motors are nothing but money pits. Find a wrecked amigo/rodeo with the 3.2l and do an engine swap. I just put a rebuilt 2.2l in my girlfriends 99 amigo, I am looking for a donor rodeo for the 3.2, wiring harnes, and computer to have set a side so when this POS motor dies I can put a better motor in and not worry about it.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is for my sister. She's not concerned about the lack of performance and an
engine swap is not an option. The options are rebuild the engine or buy something
else. So is it a folly to rebuild these engines? What sorts of things go wrong
with the X22SE engine?

Thanks,
Dan Jones

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hope you haven't rebuilt your sis's engine yet. They're junk. Mine exhibited piston slap, rod knocking, wrist pins rattling all at 96K miles. I put new bearings, rods, pistons and rings, and new wristpins in. 25K more miles and it's all starting over again. If you drive like grandma then maybe one can make the X22SE last. I tend to push mine a bit, usually shifting at 3500K or so on the tach.... it will not last in any kind of performance use. That's why I'm here now. Researching the possibility of dropping in a buick 3800 or maybe a Honda vtech replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
> I hope you haven't rebuilt your sis's engine yet.

I have not and no longer plan to rebuild it. As I was pulling the engine, I found
the frame is seriously rusted (even though the body is perfect) so the vehicle is
not worth saving. It's just taking up space in my garage at the moment while we
look for another vehicle. Seems like all the midwest/rust belt Amigos have similar
frame rust issues. Found a nice Amigo in Texas that had no frame rust (spotless
underneath) and was ready to fly down and drive it back but the 1st guy (I was 2nd)
that looked at it was able to come up with the cash and bought it. Still looking.

> If you drive like grandma then maybe one can make the X22SE last.

My sister is not aggressive with the vehicle. It's just transportation but it
needs to be reliable as she lives 400 miles away so I can't fix it when things
go wrong.

> Researching the possibility of dropping in a buick 3800 or maybe a Honda vtech
> replacement.

That's illegal here for any OBD-II vehicle (anything 1996 and later) unfortunately.

Dan Jones

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Just curious, but are these motors known to cause engine fires quite often? The reason I ask is because the last 4 rodeos that I've seen in the j-yards around these parts that had these motors had really bad engine fires. Not really important, just curious.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never seen any crispy critters of the Isuzu variety. Mine runs great and doesn't leak anything. Couldn't ask for a better engine other than the slight self-destruction aspect, usually due to oil starvation.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,222 Posts
I bought a 2000 Amigo in Tx. with engine issues. NO frame rust. However the engine is not to bad to work on, but I would prefer to have found a rust free 89 RS. I've worked on those engines, and parts are cheaper and they are easier to work on. If you tackle a 2.2 you will need some special tools, that are hard to find. I looked for a head bolt tool for a week before I found the T55 torx tip I needed. If I get mine running I may sell it and look for a good 89 RS. The head is in the shop now. When the intake valves were removed they were slightly bent, so were awaiting those. Good luck and let us know what's going on. See that water hose, It's 70 dollars oem part.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Make sure you use new head bolts. I in-framed my engine and used the old head bolts. 6 or 8 months later the head was coming back off for a new head gasket. I also had to replace the crankshaft pulley and bolts after it work loose. I just replaced the timing belt tensioner last weekend after it worked loose and broke. It is very important to use Blue Loctite on the 2.2 engine because it will vibrate itself loose.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,222 Posts
Thanks, I knew about the head bolts, and the manual talks about the locktite on the threads, not on the head bolts however.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,222 Posts
Hey, Scott, does the 3.2 mate up to the 2.2 standard xmsn? Think I read somewhere that if you are planning to put in a 3.2 that the xmsn has to be replaced also. Do you know anyone that did this swap. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, if you haven't rebuilt or replaced the engine, you might check out eBay. I bought a brand new crated 2.2L short block last year for my 98 Amigo 4x4 for $800 delivered to the nearest air freight location. I couldn't find the same seller I bought mine from, but there are 2 currently listed for 800 and 850 each. I had the head rebuilt by a machinist friend with parts I'd bought on eBay and I've had zero problems with mine.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,222 Posts
After having finished the top end (valve job) on the 2000 Amigo with the 2.2, I must say I was pleasently suprised at how it drives. It's a smooth running engine. Sure it's not very powerful, but really, what Isuzu is? Knowing the issues with engine swaps, include transmissions in that to, I wouldn't hesitate going with the rebuild, or getting a crate short block.

Reactions: paseverin
1 - 20 of 20 Posts