Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this in the Audio and Electronics section but thought I would cross post, as some of you experts may not peruse the Audio and Electronics section.

Want to buy some of these blade terminals:

From my first gen 1989 radio wiring harness. Link to more photos here:

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x38 ... schematic/

Any leads or suggestions much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Not sure what you are trying to do. If are trying to install an aftermarket radio/head unit then crutchfield has the adapter from your harness to the new stereo. If you are just trying to mate those 2 connectors you can always cut out both and hard wire the wires together. Or crimp a bunch of bullet connectors in line so you can take it apart later. If you need a connector to plug into the stock head unit have someone here cut you one out of the factory harness on a part out truck and splice it into your old harness.

I just went through this with my wifes CRV. 2 wires broke off the blade terminals at the door jamb for the power windows. Tiny Tiny pins and about 30 of them in the connector. Honda wants to sell you a new dash harness! Real bad location as well. I was able to take a connector out of an old stero harnes I had and sorta reshape it to work in the block. it was a real PIA.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I cut the plug off of the stock Isuzu AM/FM Cassette and patched it into the new AM/FM/CD. Mine was easy as I put in new speakers and new wiring cable to handle the extra power. New system but still with stock plug-in.

ernie

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Check his thread in the audio section.
He just wants to connect his aftermarket harness to the stock plug, which is already an adapter for the vehicles stock stereo plug. If that makes any sense :lol:
It took me a while to understand, but its really quite simple.
Splice them together or get another aftermarket harness to plug into the vehicle side.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I've just spliced them together in several cars. gets rig of a lot of extra mess.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, thanks for the input guys. I know this should be in the audio section, but the only responses I've gotten in that section have been from Dae. He's been very helpful, and in fact hooked me up (pun intended) with the new radio plug, but I'm looking for more specific info from 1st gen owners.

Sassee, while I have your attention, being a first gen owner and having messed with the radio wiring, can you tell me why some of the speaker wires are jumpered, and do I need to duplicate this when splicing in the new wires?:

Also, the original radio ground (black) wire has no corresponding ground wire in the body harness. So, the ground wire from the original radio plugs into nothing. Weird. Should I connect the ground wire of the new plug onto a real ground somewhere under the dash or just splice it into the original radio's ground wire?

sassee said:
I cut the plug off of the stock Isuzu AM/FM Cassette and patched it into the new AM/FM/CD. Mine was easy as I put in new speakers and new wiring cable to handle the extra power. New system but still with stock plug-in.

ernie

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I don't have the wiring diagram with me but I'll bet there are 2 wires jumpered. 1 speaker (-) for the left side and 1 (-) for the right side. Ground is ground. Should be 4 seperate (+) so you have L+R and F+R. You really only have Left and Right (stereo)with a fader for front to rear as far as the stock head unit is concerned. But 4 channels as far as the truck wiring is concerned.

The ground wire goes to ground. No need for a body ground in the harness.
I'll try to remember to look up the wiring diagram tonight.

Should have in harness.

Ign hot

Constant hot for clock(new head will need but 1st gen harness may not have)

Light switch hot for dash lights

Ground from radio to chassis

LF speaker +
LF speaker - may be bridged with LR

LR speaker +
LR speaker - may be bridged with LF

RF speaker +
RF speaker - may be bridged with RR

RR speaker +
RR speaker - may be brigded with RF

New head unit may also have a lead for power antenna. Probably not in harness.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Most wierd again. I posted 1 post and got a post and a quote of myself (deleted)> Something weird with this computer(workstation) Same one that posted a pm on a thread last week. might be the stone age browser flaking out.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
So since he's using a '03 Trooper stereo, there is no need to "bridge" the speakers, since the stock plug (in vehicle) is already set up for it?
Now if he was using the original '89 stereo, then they would need to be jumpered?

All my confusion came from the factory plug/adapter, that hooks up to the in vehicle plug.
So if we disregard that plug/adapter, it would make it a simple stereo swap.
Just need to either modify the factory plug/adapter (non-in vehicle) or buy the aftermarket harness, with the corresponding pinout.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
If it was me I would by pass the connectors. Put bullet crimps on all the wires. Verify the wiring with a meter and a long patch cord. Test speaker lines from end to end to verify continuity with ohm meter. Verify your hots with key on, key off with volt meter and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
^^that or just disregard the stock adapter connector, use this and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the details squatch. I have a factory manual so I'm good on the wiring diagram. Seeing as I'm a bit of an electrical retard, I was mainly wondering why the speaker wires would be jumpered and the hot wire would be connected to nothing, since the plastic plug is non conductive.

The 2003 Isuzu radio has a dimmer hook up as well as an electric antenna. An electric antenna would be cool to have.

Now I need to get biddy with splicing and soldering!

squatch said:
I don't have the wiring diagram with me but I'll bet there are 2 wires jumpered. 1 speaker (-) for the left side and 1 (-) for the right side. Ground is ground. Should be 4 seperate (+) so you have L+R and F+R. You really only have Left and Right (stereo)with a fader for front to rear as far as the stock head unit is concerned. But 4 channels as far as the truck wiring is concerned.

The ground wire goes to ground. No need for a body ground in the harness.
I'll try to remember to look up the wiring diagram tonight.

Should have in harness.

Ign hot

Constant hot for clock(new head will need but 1st gen harness may not have)

Light switch hot for dash lights

Ground from radio to chassis

LF speaker +
LF speaker - may be bridged with LR

LR speaker +
LR speaker - may be bridged with LF

RF speaker +
RF speaker - may be bridged with RR

RR speaker +
RR speaker - may be brigded with RF

New head unit may also have a lead for power antenna. Probably not in harness.

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.