Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting feelers out in case my head bolts cannot be extracted.

Might be looking for a block for a 3.5L for my 2001 Trooper limited.

I live in the SW corner of Michigan.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Obviously you guys up north have crappy machine shops! find you a good one! If not, Jerry Lemond has the 3.5 I pulled out of my SLX. I think he only wanted the crank and rods out of it. the block was fine.

Ernie

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know about up and around Michigan, but around here every shop is so specialized. There are very few GOOD automotive machine shops. Dayton supposedly is one of the biggest machining centers around with over 600 shops in the metro area. BUT, they all either cater(ed) to GM/Delphi which pulled out or to the Aerospace industry because of Wright-Patterson AFB, the AF Research Labs, or G.E. just north of Cinci.

The shop that ultimately did my EDM work is a production shop. They just happened to be able to fit me in on a small machine while they were changing setups/jigs on the bigger machines. It took 2.5 hours of cycle time to get mine out, and even then some of the threads had to be taken out to get all of the bolt out. The auto. machine shop still said it was too deep for him to put in a bushing (hard to believe). But as luck should have it he knew a guy that owns a tool and die shop down the road that had invested in a Time-Sert kit for a Caddy NorthStar V8 that uses the same size and pitch head bolt. The NorthStar head bolt is just slightly longer. So that's getting done this afternoon and then it's going back to the auto. machine shop to have him just take the glaze off the cylinders so the rings will seat without issue.

Gobogie, let me know what the final result is from the shop there. I may be able to help out in some way, shape, or form. If nothing else I can ask my uncle about shops north west of Ft. Wayne, IN since he knows them all. (He's been building and racing all manner of cars since he was a teenager).

·
Registered
166 Posts
BTW, Ernie...if there's ever a next time, remind me to pay the extra to have YOU take it to your shop and have the bolt removed! LOL! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx, Chiron. If you would could you email or pm me your contact info. I was just going to give you a call to talk it over with ya since we have had the same problems. Thx Cory.

Email is [email protected]

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just sent you an email directly.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I offered! but then, my guy does this kind of stuff all the time. that's why he's so busy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah I know, that's why I'm saying if I ever buy anything like this again from you to remind me of this. LOL!

I've never in my life had problems like this. If I still had access to the machine shop over at the air base I would have just gotten it done myself. Sheesh. :) There are some nice perks to being a civillian employee on military base and the auto and machine shop were two of 'em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.