Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my Sensa-tracs and was all set to put them on - great! It was just too cold outside so I took them to Pep Boys and paid them to do it - OK. The fronts went on just fine. Then the mech comes out holding the stock rear shock and the Monroe rear - oh sh*t. The Monroe is at least a full 2 inches shorter than the stock, plus much thinner (thinness I expected). They find some Gabriels in stock so I say 'go ahead and put 'em on.' These ones don't fit either, though! The Gabes don't have the stud on the one end, they are both loops! So they put the stocks back on the back. Is there an issue since my truck has ISC? The part (37160) seems to have worked on everyone else's truck so why not mine? :( I thought maybe they put the wrong shocks in the wrong box, but 37160ST is etched right onto the shocks. I'm totally bummed right now. I really wanted to get those backs replaced. If anyone has suggestions, please throw 'em my way. I will say that I can tell a difference in the fronts, and I like it :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
The 37160 was too short to bolt up properly- even fully extended? Did the pep boys tech definately try? You do have to compress them several inches to get them on. I find it hard to believe the chassis mounts are different on rodeo's with ISC, over regular suspension rodeos, but you never know? :? I would try to fit'em myself before you send them back. G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I actually thought about this after I posted. I tried to put the shock back in its box but it wouldn't compress all the way to fit in completely. I'm going to assume they are locked(?) somehow when boxed and once unpacked can be extended. Maybe this would explain why it was too short if PepBoy didn't extend it all the way. I hope this is the case, but I'll be PO'd at PepBoys for not being bright enough to try this themselves. I'll climb under the truck and try lining them up in the A.M. Wish me luck (oh wait, you already did)! :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had to compress the front and rear shocks to get them on my '96 Rodeo. Can't imagine you would have to extend a shock to install it. Hell, even with the truck off the ground and the suspension fully unloaded I had to really work to compress the shocks enough to get them in.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine had a little plastic loop over the top and bottom to keep them compressed. Once I took that off it was a PITA to get them compressed and mounted on the truck w/o damaging the shock.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yep, mine had the plastic loops over each shock to keep them compressed in their boxes as well. These gas pressurized shocks extend fully with no load on them. When installing them, you have to compress them by hand & then slip them in place as fast as you can!
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting.... I have an '02 LSE with the ISC. I have wondered about changing the shocks as well. I assume non OEM shocks would disable the ISC? Does the switch and dash light also become disabled?

I like the ISC on the firm (Sport) setting...but would also like a softer ride as well (when I've got passengers). However the stock shocks create too much horsey ride, wallowing and nose dive in the softer (Luxury) ride settings on the ISC :shock: .

Curious if others have swapped out the OEM shocks...what effects did it have on the ride and how does that affect the ISC?

Appreciate your findings and input. :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, this'll make me sound like a real idiot, but TampaMike, you have a switch for your ISC??? Where is it?! I had assumed the ISC adjusted itself with no option for user settings. I hear that the light on the dash is supposed to stay forever illuminated once you swap, but with the fronts changed out already I don't have a light yet.

There's snow on the ground now so I'm going to have to wait until I can break out the snow gear to get under the truck and compare shocks. I hate snow! :evil:

·
Registered
24 Posts
The ISC is always active...however you can change the ISC ride settings with the selector switch on the center console (just ahead of the cupholders on my '02 LSE. It has 2 settings...SPORT (firmer) and LUXURY (softer). It basically controls the shock damping. Only when SPORT is selected does it illuminate on the dash..the softer ride does not have an indicator on the dash. Perhpas these features were added after your '01 LSE model? :roll:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are my findings:

With the truck on 'all fours,' the Sensa-trac sizes up to almost identically the size of the stock. But therein would seem to be the problem. The stock is compressed all the way, right? The Sensa-trac is fully extended. So if they came off they'd have a couple inches on the Sensa-tracs. I mean, I wouldn't have to struggle at all to put these on, like others have - they'd slip right into place with no compressing probably. I'm assuming they are not going to fit but if I'm missing something someone please enlighten me :)

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Before you get *too* worked up here, I'll ask a dumb question: Did you put the rear shocks on the front? I only ask because I did that once. Early on in my modding career. I carefully jacked up and removed one front wheel. opened a shock box, wrestled the shock into place. I moved to the other side and asked Holly to hand me another shock. I wrestled it into place. I went to the back, asked Holly to hand me another shock and it was 2+ inches shorter than the ones that I had just installed. Oops! I had just assumed that the rears would have two eyes, but on the 88 Trooper the front and rear shocks have a pin at the top.

Hopefully you didn't do that, but maybe some day someone will learn from my mistake.

-Tad

P.S. I did eventually get even with those shocks though. I burst a front one when I hit an open manhole (it was night time and Holly didn't see it coming either, cut me some slack). The other two got a bit "broken" as seen below:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it possible/safe to have different shocks on the truck? The Monroe's in the front are fine, but I will have to find another brand for the back. Any implications?

·
Registered
45 Posts
drudiggy said:
Is it possible/safe to have different shocks on the truck? The Monroe's in the front are fine, but I will have to find another brand for the back. Any implications?
That is no problem. I bought a set of 4 KYB shocks for my Rodeo but didn't like the soft front end so I bought a set of Bilstiens for the front. Now it's a bit more harsh but it handles much better. I left the KYB shocks in the rear. As long as you don't go different side to side. Different from front to back is no problem though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.