Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Jay and I am a Trooper addict......heh heh

For you 1st Gen Trooper folks, workshop manuals and the BIBLE big parts catalog:

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x38 ... 20Manuals/

If you need or want page(s) from any of these manuals let me know. I can photograph the pages you need and e-mail to you. I have gotten so much from y'all that I'm offering this as a token payback. I'm no Jlemond or surferjoe or any of you other knowledgeable dudes, so I hope this is worth something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Hey Jay -I know this is an old post, but I've been off the air for a while and am trying to get caught up on the Planet.
I've got some work to do on my rig this summer and will definitely get in touch with you if I can put together the cash to do the big brake swap, new ball joints, and beefy tie rod parts.
Thanks for the offer, and hope this finds you well.
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay then. Let me know what you need. Thanks for the response; you're the only one. Guess everyone is set with their manuals.

Your sig says NEW 2.6 engine. New as in rebuilt? Rebuilt by you? Crate engine? Whatever, very cool piece of mind. Got any more photos of your RS to share?

Oregon RS said:
Hey Jay -I know this is an old post, but I've been off the air for a while and am trying to get caught up on the Planet.
I've got some work to do on my rig this summer and will definitely get in touch with you if I can put together the cash to do the big brake swap, new ball joints, and beefy tie rod parts.
Thanks for the offer, and hope this finds you well.
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
Thats a generous offer. Myself (I provided the book) and couple of other members sixcaver and seledor photograghed and put together a DVD of my manual for Trooper, 1988 and made it available as a download here on the planet. If interested do a search for the download site. It was under sixcaver. I don't have the link myself as he sent me a DVD and thats what I wanted. You have a bunch of books there, must of took awhile to get all those together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that must have taken quite a bit of time. I'm impressed with your generosity! I don't think I have the time or patience to do something like that.

Surprisingly, it did not take me very long to acquire the shop manuals. E-bay diligence, and extra time to stare at the computer in winter was the ticket. The BIG BOOK, now that's a different story. My local Isuzu dealer went paper-less and I was lucky enough to be on good terms with the service manager. I asked very nicely and he gave me the book; he was just about to throw it out. Oh the horror!!! That book has been invaluable. I've spent hours poring through the pages. It's kinda fun.

hessmess said:
Thats a generous offer. Myself (I provided the book) and couple of other members sixcaver and seledor photograghed and put together a DVD of my manual for Trooper, 1988 and made it available as a download here on the planet. If interested do a search for the download site. It was under sixcaver. I don't have the link myself as he sent me a DVD and thats what I wanted. You have a bunch of books there, must of took awhile to get all those together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh my god, that would take forever. Great idea but I don't have the time for such a huge endeavor.

Selador said:
Jay said:
Dealer parts book, about 5 inches thick. A treasure trove of information.

Maybe we should try to get that one copied like we did the other manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I have access to a nice high end color copier($13k) that will scan both sides of documents into .pdf format and email it to me. It will handle about a inch worth of pages at one time and I have the full version of adobe to put them all together.

Just offering the service if anyone wants to lend me a copy for a few days.

ETA: Last time I converted a machine manual, about 4 inches thick, took a couple hours in between my other daily duties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Jay said:
Your sig says NEW 2.6 engine. New as in rebuilt? Rebuilt by you? Crate engine? Whatever, very cool piece of mind. Got any more photos of your RS to share?
Had one re-built by a local shop that's been building racing engines...nothin' fancy, but it get's me everywhere I need to be.
The original only had 125,000, but got beat up by the previous owner who really wanted to be driving a sports car...

Anyway, I had a wind-fall of cash, so replaced the engine, cooling system, clutch, and everything else I could afford while it was apart.
I never worried much about taking the old one anywhere, but I feel more confident about two to three week trips in the mountains and deserts out here than ever before...especially since I did all the work myself !

By the way, that's a sweet RS you have there Jay...love the red detailing on the plenum !
My photos are scattered all over the place, but here's a link to my current Photobucket:
http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/ac91/OregonRS/

:eek:ccasion5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the offer. I'm guessing the only way this would work is with individual pages as compared to a bound book style shop factory manual?

metalryder67 said:
I have access to a nice high end color copier($13k) that will scan both sides of documents into .pdf format and email it to me. It will handle about a inch worth of pages at one time and I have the full version of adobe to put them all together.

Just offering the service if anyone wants to lend me a copy for a few days.

ETA: Last time I converted a machine manual, about 4 inches thick, took a couple hours in between my other daily duties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, thanks for the comments. I was inspired to polish out the common chamber (plenum) and valve cover by a couple of other planet members who tackled the job and posted their photos. A lot of work, but looks pretty good if I say so myself. Since I had everything apart I thought what the heck.

I REALLY like the round eye set up on your RS. Looks great. I've been on the fence about swapping out my head light set up, but I'm convinced after seeing yours.

Let's not get too distracted. After all this thread originally was about shop manuals. I'll p.m. you 'cause I'd like to pick your brain about your engine build. I redid my top end but will (hopefully not soon!) need to do a complete rebuild as my engine is at 245k.

Oregon RS said:
Jay said:
Your sig says NEW 2.6 engine. New as in rebuilt? Rebuilt by you? Crate engine? Whatever, very cool piece of mind. Got any more photos of your RS to share?
Had one re-built by a local shop that's been building racing engines...nothin' fancy, but it get's me everywhere I need to be.
The original only had 125,000, but got beat up by the previous owner who really wanted to be driving a sports car...

Anyway, I had a wind-fall of cash, so replaced the engine, cooling system, clutch, and everything else I could afford while it was apart.
I never worried much about taking the old one anywhere, but I feel more confident about two to three week trips in the mountains and deserts out here than ever before...especially since I did all the work myself !

By the way, that's a sweet RS you have there Jay...love the red detailing on the plenum !
My photos are scattered all over the place, but here's a link to my current Photobucket:
http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/ac91/OregonRS/

:eek:ccasion5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yo Bart, if you have specific needs for your Trooper I can send you pages via e-mail. Can't help with the Impulse though.

nfpgasmask said:
I've been looking for parts catalogs for both my 91 Trooper and the 87 Impulse...can't find. I have the VX catalog which is great.

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sheeit, not gonna happen.

Very cool Isuzu quiver you have there.....just like my fantasies....VX before it's time design...Impulse for 'drivin around town; Trooper for functional off roading.....

nfpgasmask said:
Jay said:
yo Bart, if you have specific needs for your Trooper I can send you pages via e-mail. Can't help with the Impulse though.
Thanks, Jay. At the moment, I'm good...you could sell me your RS though. :)

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Jay said:
I REALLY like the round eye set up on your RS. Looks great. I've been on the fence about swapping out my head light set up, but I'm convinced after seeing yours.

Let's not get too distracted. After all this thread originally was about shop manuals. I'll p.m. you 'cause I'd like to pick your brain about your engine build. I redid my top end but will (hopefully not soon!) need to do a complete rebuild as my engine is at 245k.
Thanks for your comments Jay.
I've been really happy with the round light set-up so far, and I swear they're brighter than the OEM lights.
Besides, I really dig the contrast between the round lights / fogs and that boxy 1st gen body...
I'll keep my eyes open for round-eyes if you're on the hunt...we seem to get 'em in the yards up here a lot.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you have about the engine work any time.
I just wish I'd seen your engine before I put mine back together though...I'd have spent a bit more time makin' it look niiiiiiiiice !

I'll tell you what though, I've never spent so much time marking parts with a sharpie and masking tape swapping an engine in my life.
Then again, I was an old school Chevy guy before I found my RS...a handful of bolts and a few wiring connections...:lol:

Either way, get in touch if you have any questions, and I'll PM you if I find some cash to do the work I want to do this summer.

Cheers brother !
:eek:ccasion5:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top