Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we know have my trooper back together. With the forums help!
It will crank & stay running as long as my husband gives it gas manually under the hood.(he hasn't hooked the pedal up )but as soon as he lets of it dies. Got any suggestions?
It is a 4 cyl. 2.6
90 trooper

thanks again,
olgirl31

·
Registered
608 Posts
olgirl31 said:
we know have my trooper back together. With the forums help!
It will crank & stay running as long as my husband gives it gas manually under the hood.(he hasn't hooked the pedal up )but as soon as he lets of it dies. Got any suggestions?
It is a 4 cyl. 2.6
90 trooper

thanks again,
olgirl31
i can only say what others have told me:
check vacuum lines.
make sure the gas cap is on tight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How important is having the gas cap on tight? Before it broke down I or my husband one lost the gas cap. But it was running fine without it. Could that keep it from idleing?

·
Registered
608 Posts
by pup was missing a gas cap when i bought it.
it would idle some, then die.

i did a quick tune-up, (oil+sparkplugs), and new ?ERG? valve and a new gas cap. then, it would idle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we think we found the problem.
There is a hose on the bottom of the intake that looked like it was on but when my husband reached down to check it it wasn't on at all. Put it on & it idle's, still a little rough but hopefully we can work that out.

Thanks for all of the help

olgirl31

·
Registered
608 Posts
glad to be of help.

try adding the gas cap. that might help out on the rough idle, but i'm not 100% sure.

two other items i've read about were replacing all belts and doing a valve adjustments. i haven't done these, yet. so, i don't have direct experience on how they affect idle. unless i'm thinking of "engine stalls when i hit the gas".

·
Registered
168 Posts
Double check the vacuum lines.
Check the timing, spark plug wire routing from the cap. Rotate the distributor a bit and see if it gets better or worse.
Adjust the valves.
For that year, the fuel cap should not make a difference other than safety. Get a cap, now. Newer cars have a sensor on the cap. If it is not on the engine will not run or check engine light comes on. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.