Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the top of my rear diff there is a wire that ends and it is just taped shut. what is this wire? i only noticed it as the electrical tape is falling off and i see two wires there. huh? they go to nothing, but are clamped right on top of the dana44 as if they belong.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but they are connected to nothing. they come from behind the gas tank and go to the diff, then end. should there be something there that isn't? i have looked at my haynes and shop manual and found nothing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yours is going to be a bit different than mine...

On the top of my diff (pulled from a 98) there is a sensor. A wire comes to it from the front of the vehicle that routes around the gas tank. This is for the rear ABS. Not sure if yours is the same setup or not. I have no other wiring going to the rear differnetial.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so does that mean that i am missing my rear ABS sensor, or i didn't have it start with?

i'm a little confused here :?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Did you buy your truck used?

Someone may have swapped the rearend out for one that didn't have the sensor.

That is what those wires are for.

Joe

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i did buy my truck used. i also have had the diff rebuilt (well, fixed) and nobody has said boo about it.

what does the abs sensor look like? anyone have a pic for clarity??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Um, it's just a little thing with a wire harness of two wires about 4 inches long with a connector on the end that connects to another connector on the end of the wires that come from around your gas tank, down your driver side upper link across the axle tube to the top of the diff. The sensor is on the top of the diff about half way between the pinion and the diff cover, the middle of the top.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i appantly have no ABS sensor. is this something to be concerned with? (not that i have even thought about it in the three years i have had the thing)

·
Registered
214 Posts
If your ABS light isnt on causing you to have problems with vehicle inspection then I would not worry about it. It is a truck after all and IMO ABS is overrated on an SUV. Especially when it is only on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Id be more concerrned with why the vehicle is on its 3rd rear end. For a 99, that seems odd.

Could a prior crash have caused some misalignment in the drive system?

Is the ABS light simply disconnected maybe?

Sounds like a Carfax is in order.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, i caused the third rear end with a hop while going over a rock, a side jump / slide in mid air followed by a smash of a rock right on the diff... :evil:

but - since i bought a supplementary guarantee - it cost me 100 bucks to fix!!! (i am probably the only guy in history to make money off buying a guarantee;rebuilt tranny, rear end, suspension components, etc..etc..)

but yeah , why it had it fixed in the first place is beyond me... and i did carfax it when i bought it , no accidents whatsoever.

could the ABS just have been defective and was removed?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ive seen somewhere you can punch in your VIN and see if the vehicle ever had ABS. Basically, the VIN should tell everything about the vehicle. Its what insurance companies use to see whats on a vehicle (factory alarms, ABS, motor size options, etc)

Then you can investigate if maybe the wire was just never reconnected - like maybe the other end was ripped out accidentally.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think the DANA 44 is pretty common. Perhaps after you smashed it, the rpl part was from a vehicle that had no ABS. Maybe even from a completely different kind of vehicle. If you had the sensor your would be able to see/feel it. Plus if it was missing but the diff had a spot for it you would have a one inch rectangular hole in the top of the diff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.