Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Trooper 3.2 DOHC, Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not an Isuzu-specific topic, but I was wondering what works for you. My '92 Trooper's driver side rear window regulator was locked in the up position for years with a zip tie and a hose clamp because the cable had broken. It was a repair that my dad had done years ago when his cable broke and he found replacement regulators were no longer available.

I was able to get a pick-n-pull regulator and put it in, but noticed the old grease was very gummy. I'm thinking gummy grease probably puts you on the fast track to cable failure. I cleaned all the old grease off and figured white lithium grease might be the way to go, but couldn't find the tube I know I have. I gave the pulleys, cables, and everything they ride against a good shot of silicone spray and put it back together. It works very smoothly -much better than the still-working passenger side rear window.

My question is, is there not enough long-term lubrication in silicone spray, and should I go back in with some sort of grease -or am I ok for a while? What have you used and how did it work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've always heard you're supposed to use white lithium grease on that stuff so that's what I've done and I've never had an issue with it. Those little motors are a pain to clean when the grease gets all gummed up.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,421 Posts
This probably wouldn't work for auto regulators. Years ago (2014) when I bought my 89 RS the windows were almost impossible to raise and lower them. I had this old tube of lube that I use on door, and hood latches. I thought I would remove the regulators, wire brush them and lube them, and I used what I had available. And boy did it ever work. I would suggest any new purchase to add door regulators to the to do list. I would go with the white lithium as previous posters mentioned for the auto regulators. But for the manual ones, I think any good grease should work.

Paint Drink Gas Font Cylinder

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've always heard you're supposed to use white lithium grease on that stuff so that's what I've done and I've never had an issue with it. Those little motors are a pain to clean when the grease gets all gummed up.
exactly....and eventually, they do have to be cleaned..and re greased...the motors now, are virtually impossible to find..in boneyards....so it's something that needs to be addressed from time to time

·
Registered
'92 Trooper 3.2 DOHC, Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! I’ll go get some more white lithium grease and spend an afternoon cleaning all old grease and getting everything lubed up properly. A couple of my motors do sound like they’re struggling, so it sounds like this would be a good situation to get on top of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts