Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I couldnt help but to notice how the intake manifold was covered in oil. I had also noticed I had developed a minor oil leak. I figured the RTV had lived its life and that perhaps dropping the pan and redoing the seal was due. Long story short the PCV was the culprit. It was not working anymore, not sure if it was stuck open or closed. Perhaps at one point it was stuck open and thats how all the oil got in, but Im under the impression it was stuck closed when I removed it, because after removing it wallah my oil leak stopped which I'm guessing was due to pressure build up inside the crank case. Funny how many consequences some of these cheap parts end up having when neglected. I now feel obligated to remove the intake and to clean it up.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Yep, if the pcv gets stuck closed, oil will find it's way out somewhere. Besides helping to burn off the evil emissions, it allows that angry engine to vent.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Check the crankcase vent hose to the intake, too.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Relieving crank case pressure improves ring seal and power also. Going even further by installing a vacuum pump will increase sealing and power even further and will eliminate any oil leaks as well.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
All I can say....for years I would just clean out the pcv valve with throttle cleaner, waited till it rattled again, then popped it back in.

2 mnths ago now, I was at the parts store buying new coolant hoses for the minivan, and saw PCV valves just hanging there....figured what the heck, I hadn't had to buy anything for the rodeo maintenance wise in quite some time. So I bought 2 new valves, one for the van, other for the rodeo.

Popped the new one in the rodeo, HUGE difference in overall idle, and seemed perkier on the throttle....maybe it's just me, but I did that 2 mnths ago, still feels like a big improvement.....so obviously that little valve is very important.

I remember just a few days after doing that, I stopped into our mechanic and asked him just exactly how important that was, and if it was true to really feel a difference. He flat out said that some engines will not run correctly without that valve working properly, so it was very possible to feel smoother and peppier.

Never noticed any oil leaking on mine though, however....I did notice oil residue around the top of the valve on the manifold, so obviously even though I was keeping it clean, it wasn't working correctly. From now on, I'm not going to bother to clean them, I'm just gonna trash them say every 6mnths or so, a new valve was maybe $3

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I try to change my PCV every other oil change. Cheap insurance and easier than changing gaskets.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Oily matter in the valve /hose is normal if you have any level of blowby which most have on used vehicles. Also, just because you can rattle the valve does not mean it's operating properly.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,195 Posts
I can't find an actual pcv valve on my 85 Trooper. It has the G200 1.9 factory engine. It seems to have a pcv system as theres a hose from the back top of the valve cover that goes to the air cleaner but I can't find the valve itself????????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts