Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 2 years ago when I added Blackie to the family. That made 3 zu's. Since I've had the 3, I haven't had all 3 running in tip-top shape at the same time for anything more than a few weeks!!! In February of last year, the Aisin in Red puked on me. I didn't even have Blackie running yet so I had to put the head gasket replacement on the front burner. I got that handled one weekend and Blackie became the primary driver. All was well for a while. Red was still down but I got the replacement Aisin in Red in late august(?) and then I had the infamous wheel bearing failure in Blackie, which of course turned into a bad hub and spindle and I got p*ssed and went ahead and replaced everything on the front end. Spindles, hubs, CV shafts, upper/lower ball joints, tie-rod ends, new wheel bearings and went ahead and did the big front brake upgrade. no sooner than i got finished with that (I'm talking 2 days later, my daughters SLX started skipping REALLY bad. It had had a subtle skip and I knew it was a burnt valve but I was trying to limp it along until the holidays as we take the last couple of weeks off from work. Well, it was like the first week of November and it was down for the count. So I put my daughter in Red since she's not too handy with a 5-speed. Bought a couple 3.5's and rebuilt one of them for the SLX and got it running in February. Of course my daughter driving (MUDDING) Red led to a lot of TLC for him so it was down immediately after she got back in her SLX. Went ahead and rebuilt the front end on Red just as I did on Blackie, replaced the radiator (Which is probably what led to current issue) After a few weeks, Red was running fine again and all 3 were running for the first time. Well that only lasted for those 3 weeks!!! The 5-speed in blackie had always had a bearing roar. By now it was really rattling so i parked it and picked-up a used tranny from Ron while at URE in April.

As of today, the SLX is running great, the oil consumption issue is GONE. The tranny will be back in Blackie no later than Monday or Tuesday. Front and rear lockers are ready to install. Sounds good right??? WRONG! Last night I finally manned-up and checked the compression on Red. I've been chasing a subtle skip in it for a couple weeks. The compression on number 1 cylinder in <30 PSI. FREAKIN BURNT VALVE!!! WHY CAN'T THEY ALL JUST GET ALONG AND BE HAPPY RUNNING TOGETHER??

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I feel your pain, I only have 2 and can't get them running at the same time. Currently the Pup is running great and the Trooper is in the garage waiting for me to get off my butt and finish up the remote oil filter and hopefully I fixed the surging idle that has bothered me since I put it together. Found a leaking freeze plug up there while I was working on the remote oil adapter. I hope that made the temp sensor happy, but I can't start it until the oil filter is finished. They just don't want us to have "free time" I think.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah...............My wife was telling me to get rid of all of them this morning but then she caught herself and stopped and said...........Could a new Z-71 run up at URE?? I said NO! Then she said "Nevermind!"

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Marry Her!!!!

Oh.. wait.. you already did.. 8) :twisted: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
676 Posts
sassee said:
Yeah...............My wife was telling me to get rid of all of them this morning but then she caught herself and stopped and said...........Could a new Z-71 run up at URE?? I said NO! Then she said "Nevermind!"
A chevy that runs? I've never heard of that.

Car Has Extensive Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips; that should about sum it up.

Good luck on gettin your Zu's to get along sassee! It can be done! The key is patience; something which I seem to lack.

-Robert

·
Registered
677 Posts
Your problem is you are trying to run them in the same state. When my brother and I both owned Kenworths they ran just fine as long as one of us was going west and the other was running south. Let us have runs in our home state and as sure as the sun shines on most days one or both of them would break down.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Savannah (GA)is just down the road from me..........

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I know the feeling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts