Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that kind of treasure. The Zoo kind. One of the things I like about driving old trucks and tractors and what ever else vintage stuff I have is treasure hunting. With old cars you can have what you want. Couldn't afford that Z28. So what build your own from a base model. The pleasure of the search for that elusive set of 4:77s or those snow flakes or whatever your heart desires. It may take a while but you'll find them if you put the effort in. Couldn't buy a new 1st gen Trooper with Leather 2000 seats. They weren't made for another 12 years. But I've got them now. In the last 3 days I've found 2 tables out of CRV.s for camping that I've wanted for some time. I paid beans for them and found a couple of other cool things at the bone yards I'm going back for. To me it's part of the fun of owning these old jewels. And my vintage garden tractor as well. For pennies on the dollar I have a restored HD Cub Cadet Super Gt with A mowing deck, new engine, hydraulic blade, snow blower, hard metal cab. All for less than what the snow blower for a new one would cost! Some folks just don't understand that the affordable customizing is a big part of why we do it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I do enjoy it, for certain items.
I am more of a compulsive treasure finder.
I might have thought of something I would like at some time but then dismissed it due to rarity or just the lack of need. But if I happen to be scrolling a classifieds and see it, I jump. Not really taking the time to decide it is something I really want to spend my money on.

That's how I end up with a broken Clinometer from a old Montero SR, Random Isuzu Badges and Grab bars from Troopers.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I haven't done too much hunting for the zoo... yet, but I hunt all the time for my other love.

When I'm not working on my Rodeo, I am an avid hobbyist woodworker who gets the most from life when I'm making something both beautiful and useful out of recycled lumber. I'll use old pallets, lumber stripped from homes or business that are being remodeled, and even stuff from furniture that people leave at the side of the road as garbage.

I also hunt for tools to use in my woodworking endeavors. I've gotten all my hand planes from yard sales and flea markets. I have several that if purchased new cost well over $100.00 that I only paid a few dollars for. My Radial Arm saw cost me nothing to acquire and $26.00 in parts to make work as good as new. The table saw is the same way. What was sold new for over $500.00 I got for less than $50.00 and all it needed was a new base stand, and some elbow grease to get the rust off the table top. My thickness planner was the best find. Lowes was discontinuing the Delta tool line and I got their last Delta planner. It was the floor model and I got it for $86.00 in "like new - never used: condition with the full warranty. This thing is a $600.00 machine!

I know this isn't the place for it, but here is an example of the type of thing I love to make. I made this from free salvaged pallet wood shortly after I began to get in my shop again after this last stroke stole my leg and my balance. The wood turned out to be imported white oak (rather expensive if bought at the hardwood dealer) and teak. I gave it to my #3 son who uses it as a keep sake box.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love going to u-pullit. It's amazing what you can sometimes find!

I also go to flea markets and yard sales with my wife, although lately I've started to buy new stuff because so much of the stuff from flea markets and yard sales are just worn out, or would cost too much to repair, if you could even find the parts to fix them.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I drove almost 4hrs ONE WAY for a set of Flakes!

I plan on some junk yard scavenger hunting this year also.

~psguardian

·
Registered
774 Posts
Lots if not most of the things I own are second hand. In the past week I have picked up a LED lantern, bench grinder, 12 volt cooler, and a old 5X10 camping trailer frame, that I put some salvaged 2X12 on for the deck and have less than $200 in all that stuff.
I find that you can my make money go a long way if I'm willing to wait for a deal. Even half of the fuel I use in my diesel trooper is second hand (WVO), so yes I am scavenger hunter and proud of it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Squatch, post some pics of the Cub!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I love just old things in general. Old mechanical things are even better. I like preserving useful items regardless of when they were made. We love hitting yard sales, flea markets and antique shops. You never know what you are going to scrounge up.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
My Amigo isn't as old as your troops but it still follow the same basic principle. That's why I lover her so much. Engine, Transmission, Wheels.

I am very fascinated with the workings of any machine that set the foundation for modern day machines. I love the complex yet simplicity of it all.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You guys are so blessed to have the junkyards to hunt for stuff for your zu´s. There´s no such thing down here... :cry:

·
Registered
160 Posts
theres nothing for isuzu's here, but, theres a upullit around here that i spend litterally all day at just walking around. The stuff id build if i had free use of the vehicles there....

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I love Zoo treasure hunting. Any option to make my rodeo cooler. current trasure is trooper heated seats :D

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
man thats what i need... new seats.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
jeremy_worden said:
man thats what i need... new seats.
ill give you my old ones once i get my trooper fronts put in and the rodeo leather rear. :D

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
i think ill just get some of my own heated seats

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
jeremy_worden said:
i think ill just get some of my own heated seats
ill sit on them before i ship them :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts