Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've searched and read my Haynes manual. Still not for sure where the temp sensor is supposed to be:

Is it right under the water gooseneck? Perpendicular to the long-axis of the crankshaft?

OR

Is it on the front of the intake manifold, under the runners and parallel to the engine?

Of course, it might make a difference that my truck is a 2.6 with a carb. Not sure if it is a 2.3 manifold or 2.6. That's the only gauge not working at this point and probably the most important one...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Temp sensor is on the intake, right near the thermostat and water outlet, sort of on the lower front side. I believe it is parallel to the motor, pointing at the radiator. It isn't very big, half inch around or less. I had to look for a while to find it the first time myself.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The last Trooper (86 w/2.3L) I got had the little tab on the end broken off on of the sensor. I found it stuck in the connector on the wire that is 'supposed' to be hooked to the sensor. That happen to you as well? I'm just curious if that is a common problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure, there wasn't much sticking out. Just enough lip to hang a fingernail on. The whole thing was out maybe 1/16" from the end.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It should have a fair bit sticking out toward the front of the truck, like close to (but under) a half inch. The tab should have enough room to hook on a spade style wiring connector and still have a 1/8" or so left over. Sounds like yours is broken off about the same as mine was.

I had a spare available but I figured to fix the broken one by soldering a wire directly to the sensor with a connector on the other end. Maybe cover it all with heatshrink tubing. It looks like it just hangs out in the way a little too much so it is easy to break it. Earlier Isuzu motor designs had the sensor under the intake and used a stouter connector style that did not stick out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.