Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After 16 years of service and 200K miles my ECM fails when warm -- (Check Trans light comes on).

I have an ebay replacement in the car now but do not know how long it will last.

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop that repairs ECMs?

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi,

After 16 years of service and 200K miles my ECM fails when warm -- (Check Trans light comes on).

I have an ebay replacement in the car now but do not know how long it will last.

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop that repairs ECMs?

Thanks
My guess would be a bad capacitor or a bad solder joint. Electrolytic caps go bad with age and heat and can become intermittant and bad solder joints will expand and contract and cause that failure. Personally,having a great deal of experience fixing electronics,my first step would be to hit the board with a hair drier until it fails,then hit the various parts with a can of cold spray until it works.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
like" mallen ", i worked a total of over 38 yrs in mil and goverment defence radar/sat electronics , be very carfull applying heat as if too much the main intergrated circuit will be gone in no time , i would let it run with ecu cover off until it goes bad then spray freon or circuit cooler on it , just a quick spray may find it , i would agree electrolic caps go bad over time but not intermittent too much , they go bad they stay bad.

i would suspect a ic as many time they are heat sinked to the chassic and over time the heat sinking paste goes away, it would be very hard to remove the main ic as it more than likley has 32-48 pins soldered down , also no replacement part number , where as a cap would be marked with the size and could be replaced, like mallen said with temp changes the printed tracks on the board and the parts soldered to them do stress and could open up.

i would be very carefull and not apply heat to a intergrated circuit , also
try and find a spare ecu , it must be for the exact model and year /transmission you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.