Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lug nuts are extremely difficult to remove and I have checked having a shop replace the studs and lug nuts. Cost is prohibitive. My first quote was $320 labor. I have a 1988 Trooper ll with steel wheels.

I am a completely green DIY person, but does any of the following make sense?

I propose to purchase all new lug nuts and a few studs to start. (I would appreciate the best source one could recommend that is reasonably priced.) I would then recut the threads on bad studs and only replace the studs I could not repair satisfactorily. (Could someone tell me what size threads are the stud and nut and quality of tool I would need to repair the threads, I do have a cheap tool and die set presently.)

I would hopefully then only have to replace a couple studs. I could have my son-in-law help me do this. He is a hammer them out type person, and saw no need to buy a tool to extract or install the studs. I thought some of the tools on the market might make things easier.

I have read where some have recommended anti-seize on the threads and some don't. If I watch the torque carefully for the first several hundred miles, would the anti-seize help?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

rpinoh1 "Bob"

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
ISUZU studs from the '1st Gen' years are not hardened steel and are prone to breaking and stripping. I've personally lost three to overzealous tire people with impact wrenches. :x

I do everything by hand now myself.

Wheel studs are a one-time thing. They are pressed in and once removed, are disposable - not to be used again.

You can call St. Charles and order new, but you might have a place in your area that specializes in fasteners and may have the appropriate size. The best thing to do is take one out, take it with you and match it up.

If your lugs are just hard to get off but the threads are OK, then anti-seize, applied sparingly is fine. You just have to be congnizant of it and check your lugs from time to time.

St. Charles ISUZU:
http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/frameset ... department

Good Luck in whatever you do. And BTW, was that quote for parts and labor, or just labor?

If parts and labor, to do all 4 wheels, is probably fair. Just labor though is kinda high, especially if your rig has rear drums.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
If I am not mistaken they are 12x1.25 on my 88 Trooper. I just recently bought new lugnuts. They can be replaced at home and I don't see any problems with the bang them out with a hammer out style of replacement. I have replaced several on different vehicles this way.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I was told once that the studs with a gold tint are hardened, and the plain silver ones are the softies. I too have lost studs. I'm actually getting ready to replace a couple on my left front wheel, which were damaged when I failed to re-torque my lug nuts after installing new wheels.

Your son-in-law is correct. Use a hammer to hammer them out. You can then use a set of stacked washers, (greased on the top) and a disposable $0.59 open-ended lug nut to pull the new studs into position.

To replace the fronts you will need to pull the front locking hubs, wheel hubs & rotors off. This is not hard, but it is time consuming.

Start with this article:
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56
Once you get to the point where the rotor and hub are off of the truck, remove the 6 bolts that hold the hub to the rotor. Then there will be enough clearance to get the old studs out, and the new studs in.

In that pic you can see the studs, and the 6 bolts that hold the rotor to the hub. It may be possible to remove the old studs without pulling the hub & rotor, but I wasn't able to, so I'm posting the worst case scenario.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Tad is the MAN 8)

The lugs ARE 12mmx1.25rh (right hand thread), very common. THe lugs you can get at any parts store for about 1.50 each. You can also try www.carparts.com.
good luck
Ron

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
In that pic you can see the studs, and the 6 bolts that hold the rotor to the hub. It may be possible to remove the old studs without pulling the hub & rotor, but I wasn't able to, so I'm posting the worst case scenario.

-Tad
When you reinstalled the six bolts, did you use loc-tite - and do you recall the torque spec, if any? Were they a bltch to break loose? I'm looking at eventually replacing my front rotors -

But I may just upgrade the front brakes to the heavier duty setup - what year Troop was that, '97?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Don: Get brakes from about a 94-96 Trooper.

I didn't use lock-tite, nor did I torque it to spec. They were about lug-nut tight, so that's how I retightened them.

You are lucky. The worst part for me was the ABS ring. I drilled out 3 of the 6 bolts that hold it to the back of the rotor. You won't have that problem however.

Anyway, you should get the calipers, rotors, caliper brackets and pads. Kevin Wolford did that upgrade on his 88 a few years back.

I can look up the torque spec though. I have an 88 and 94 Helm manual, and I'll be using it this weekend for my timing belt, ball joints, etc.

-Tad

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can get the lug nuts at Wal-mart in a couple different varieties. I had some on my truck that were hard to get off, and I just replaced the nuts with the ones from Wally world. Now they spin on like they are supposed to. I have one stud that got messed up pretty bad that needs to be replaced, but the other 23 are fine. I think the nuts are a pack of 4 for just under $3.....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
frisky said:
I think the nuts are a pack of 4 for just under $3.....
I'm not saying they ain't suitable, but I'd be looking on the pack to see where they are made.

Quality lugnuts is cheap insurance................even if they claim to meet DOT standards, if there are any for lugs.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I pay about $3.00-$3.50 each for lugnuts from a reputable parts store around me. FWIW, Early Toyota Corolla uses the same thread pitch, but the stock lug nuts are 21mm instead of 19. The studs were found to be a direct replacement in one store's computer however.

Just for good measure, I buy the gold tinted studs.

-Tad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your responses. :D

Today, I found one lug nut locally and ordered 23 more from Advance Auto Parts. They were the only store with the correct ones with washers for $1.98 each. I tried St. Charles, but Isuzu ones were twice the price. These aren't quite the same quality, but not bad either.

I took one nut off, cleaned the stud's threads, and the new nut went on slicker than snot. So whatever I have to do with the studs should be minimal. I'm so pleased that I'll not be building muscle everytime I take a wheel off! I'll let you know how everything goes when all the lugs arrive.

The quoted cost for replacing all the studs was for labor alone, all 4 wheels have disc brakes.

I may look at the nuts when I can get to a Wal-Mart for use with the spare.

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.