Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Wheel repair

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  radare 
#1 ·
So the original wheels on my 01 rodeo are a little worse for wear and i was wondering if i would be able to restore them and bring some life back into them this is how most of them look now
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

I tried on one wheel to sand down the bad spot bc I assumed it was peeling clear coat but it still doesn't look right,
After repair:
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

If anyone had some tips that would be great

See less See more
#2 ·
I would prep them for painting by sanding/scuffing the surface. Then spray them with a color you prefer. Black, silver, dark gray. There are many video out there about wheel painting/restoration. I believe Chris fix has one that is pretty easy to follow.

#3 ·
You can fix this, but it takes some eblow grease and technique.

You need to grind that a bit - the pitting looks deep.
Then sand back to a good level, about 400.

Wash three times, alcohol wipe with clean materials and let dry again.
Acid-etch primer (Rustoleum is good stuff and cheap).
Once you've laid that down, sand back to 400 or so.

Then color and sand/buff.

A lot of online things make this all seem an easy process - it is not. It is not rocket science, but you have to go very step-wise, follow to completion, and wait between steps. You also need to know to paint in a narrow-ish environmental condition, most people skip that. I was trying to refinish a Volvo interior piece today. I was in a hurry and it was small. 60/65F and a little high humidity. No Go. I had to drop the part back in a pan of Xylol, scuff/sand and start again. I couldn't' change the overall conditions, but I could the local - so I used a hair dryer to heat/dry the part and the paint. Then, great results.

There is a lot to prep/paint that the videos and "how to" things do not tell you. They are about clicks and making it look do-able, not getting into the details.

Chris Fixx is one of the very worst of these as he is about sounding cool, promising, and not giving real deets. Annoying scammer to those who really are mechanics, painters, etc. He's got a game and makes good bank on it; I wish I'd been able to be so successful with so little knowledge and skill!

Reactions: radare
#5 · (Edited)
I’m fortunate. My Rodeo Sports wheels still look new. But I painted several wheels. The process is the same as painting an automotive panel like a hood or fender, just on a smaller scale. My Audi TT’s wheels had the same corrosion yours do but more extensive. It took a full Saturday to repaint two of them.

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread Hubcap

I sanded them with a mouse sander: 120 grit, then 220, then 320. I sanded until the pitting from the corrosion was gone. I finished with a wet sand to 400. This part requires patience and a good will not to rush.

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Tread Rim

I gave each a coat of grey primer and then a medium coat of Bright Silver Metallic (which I‘d bought for some paintwork on my Rodeo’s mirrors and battery mount). Finished with a heavy coat of Spraymax 2k clear. They look good. Not polished like original, but good. And the 2k clear is incredibly durable.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Center caps got the same treatment.

Input device Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood Musical instrument accessory

My advice is to be patient, use good quality products and take your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.