Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 troop 2.8
Started noticing a whirring/grinding noise upfront that increases with speed. Not engine related...no change with clutch in. Sound goes away if I turn right and returns when I straighten back out. Sound remains when turning left. I'm suspecting wheel bearing...sounds to me to be the front left...but I've researched prior posts and see some saying that my symptoms might lead them to believe it's the front right?

If I'm correct...is it best to get it off and see if both inner and outer needs to be replaced or do most replace both regardless of appearance?

Second question...Now that it's getting colder out...I've noticed my stick is harder to get into gear. On really cold days I have to hold it in gear while driving or else it wants to pop back into neutral...Should I change to a different fluid? Not sure what is in currently...hasn't been changed past 7 years.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
On the wheel bearings you should plan on making enough time to pull both sides off and inspect them. It's just time to do the maintenance. If they look dark and scratched up they need to be replaced... Sometimes a loose wheel bearing will give the tire enough movement to push the brake rotor against the pads (like on corners) and sounds can change. I would highly recommend changing the tranny fluid as well. 5-30 wt should be perfect for the cold weather. This is a bad time of year to run into problems so do a shake down from end to end. Check all your fluid levels just to be safe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts